Sony Handycam and firewire/linux

  • Stefan Koopmanschap
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2005
      hey guys,

      I'm currently running on a 10.0 slackware machine. It's a Dell laptop
      (latitude D505) and everything is working fine. Until now, I've not
      needed the firewire port on my laptop. However, we recently bought a
      nice Sony DCR HC17e Handycam and now I'd like to transfer the recorded
      video from the camera into my laptop using the firewire port.

      However, that doesn't work for me.

      I've been looking on google and I've found a few success stories on
      different Sony camera's (not the 17e yet though) but none really list
      any useful tips on getting it to work. The first step seems to be to
      ensure all related 1394 modules are loaded, and they are all loaded.

      The next step, at least my next step, is to check whether something
      happens when I plug in the camera and turn it on. It seems the syslog
      does not register anything happening when I plug in the camera and turn
      it on. Does anyone have any idea why?

      Result of this is that the /dev/raw1394 is not created, which logically
      causes dvgrab to error out with the following error:

      raw1394 - failed to get handle: No such file or directory.

      Not really a surprise eh?

      Is there anyone here with experience he/she would want to share with the
      rest of the world?

      Stefan
    • Stefan Koopmanschap
      Message 2 of 2 , May 27, 2005
        To reply to my own post, this solution has been solved thanks to someone
        over at the slackware usenet group. To quote his solution:

        In Slackware 9.1 you will have to create the devices yourself. They should
        look like this:

        crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 171, 0 Dec 17 2002 /dev/raw1394
        crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 172, 0 Dec 17 2002 /dev/video1394

        So they should be created with:

        mknod /dev/raw1394 c 171 0
        mknod /dev/video1394 c 172 0

        I hope this also helps someone else.