Re: [linux-dell-laptops] inspiron falling to bits

  • Haedn Thorn
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2005
      --- panthersgold <panthersgold@...> wrote:
      > Hi, can someone help me with the following query? I wish to change my
      > laptop (physically broken) for same model (eg on ebay, 2nd hand) but
      > with my own HD put in, so that I dont have to reload 200 odd apps etc.
      > Does this mean that the drive and HW configurations of my present
      > machine and the replacement have to be IDENTICAL? The replacement I am
      > lookin g at at the moment has SEPARATE dvd and cdrw drives, whereas my
      > present machine is a combination drive.

      How closely things must match depends on how you're kernel is compiled. If you
      don't have a custom kernel and load most of your peripherals with modules, then
      you should be able to be fairly liberal in your selection. As far as the CD/DVD
      drives go, most of them should be using the ide-cd module and appear pretty
      much the same to the system except for the vender ID and possibly which device
      they land on (/dev/hdc vs /dev/hdd) ... If you are looking at the same model
      with a few different options, I would guess that you would be close enough to
      just have to tweak a few config files in almost every case. Wireless cards, of
      course, would be the biggest possible difference. In the case of a different
      wireless card, you may need to find a different driver.