Newbie - How to get Inspiron 3500 to make sound?

  • lfanmahayana
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2005
      Hello,

      I have a Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop. I was able to install Redhat 8.0
      on it. Everything seemed to work except the sound. I could not get
      my laptop to make any sound. The linux recognized the sound device to
      Neomagic 256 AV. When I click on the VOLUME control, it responded
      with following error:

      I was not able to open your audio device. Please check if you have the
      permission to open /dev/mixer and make sure you have sound support
      compiled into your kernel.

      I logged in as root and I am not sure how to check if the sound
      support is compiled into the kernel.

      Thanks and best regards,

      Leo