inspiron 1100 video card

  • James Carruthers
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10, 2005
      Hi Group,

      I want to upgrade the video card in my inspiron 1100. Has anyone done
      this? What cards will work?
    • Haedn Thorn
      Message 2 of 4 , May 10, 2005
        --- James Carruthers <mysticsound@...> wrote:
        > Hi Group,
        >
        > I want to upgrade the video card in my inspiron 1100. Has anyone done
        > this? What cards will work?

        Most laptops do not accept video card upgrades. Not having worked on one, I
        can't be certain with the 1100, but it's a safe guess. Someone with an 1100
        could chime in here to give a definitve "yes" or "no"? .. Usually, the video
        chipset will be built on to the main board in laptops.
      • Paul Gratz
        Message 3 of 4 , May 10, 2005
          Actually not speaking of the 1100 I know that it is possible and has
          been done safely many times on the i8500 and i8600. Most dell laptops
          are actually modular. Now I say this with the caveat of you can only
          put in video card modules that are designed for that laptop (or very
          similar laptops, like the 8500/8600 which have interchangable video
          cards). This usually means that you can only put in one of the optional
          video cards that was available when you bought the laptop.

          I know this because I was thinking of upgrading my 8500 with a video
          card from an 8600. In the end in my case I decided the cost (>$300 for a
          radeon 9600) and the pain (I'd have to put a new heat sink on it) is not
          worth it. I took the money and rebuilt my desktop :-).

          Paul

          On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 06:47 -0700, Haedn Thorn wrote:
          > --- James Carruthers <mysticsound@...> wrote:
          > > Hi Group,
          > >
          > > I want to upgrade the video card in my inspiron 1100. Has anyone done
          > > this? What cards will work?
          >
          > Most laptops do not accept video card upgrades. Not having worked on one, I
          > can't be certain with the 1100, but it's a safe guess. Someone with an 1100
          > could chime in here to give a definitve "yes" or "no"? .. Usually, the video
          > chipset will be built on to the main board in laptops.

          Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
        • Damien Solley
          Message 4 of 4 , May 10, 2005
            The Inspiron 1100 has an integrated I845 video card that CANNOT be
            removed or exchanged (AFAICT having examined the motherboard). However,
            there is a miniPCI slot at the base of the machine - are there video
            cards available for miniPCI? This could provide an upgrade path.
            Regards
            Damien