Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Newbie+Debian 3.0r1 + Inspiron 8200 + ATI Radeon M9 = :(

  • Haedn Thorn
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2005
      --- ooouio <ooouio@...> wrote:

      > driver) with a good
      > GCC?
      > 2/ How can i install the ATI driver after the kernel
      > compilation?

      I would use rpm directly and then recompile the ATI
      driver for your system. ...

      # rpm -i --nodeps --force fglrx-blahblahblah...

      then, iirc, find your way to /lib/modules/fglrx and
      follow the directions found there to build the module.
      After building, it should instruct you to run
      fglrxconfig (or something like that) and that should
      configure your xorg.conf file pretty close to
      something reasonable.
    • D. R. E. Moonfire
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2005
        Haedn Thorn wrote:
        > --- ooouio <ooouio@...> wrote:

        >>driver) with a good
        >>GCC?
        >>2/ How can i install the ATI driver after the kernel
        >>compilation?
        >

        > I would use rpm directly and then recompile the ATI
        > driver for your system. ...
        >
        > # rpm -i --nodeps --force fglrx-blahblahblah...
        >
        > then, iirc, find your way to /lib/modules/fglrx and
        > follow the directions found there to build the module.
        > After building, it should instruct you to run
        > fglrxconfig (or something like that) and that should
        > configure your xorg.conf file pretty close to
        > something reasonable.

        Actually, if your kernel is right (look at make-kpkg to make a new one),
        you can apt-get fglrx-kernel-src which should give you what you need to
        create the internal packages.
      • uteck
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2005
          http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html
          makes debian packages of the ATI fglrx driver, I used them for awhile
          with no problem.

          On 5/5/05, Haedn Thorn <lordhaedn@...> wrote:

          > --- ooouio <ooouio@...> wrote:

          > > driver) with a good
          > > GCC?
          > > 2/ How can i install the ATI driver after the kernel
          > > compilation?
          >
          > I would use rpm directly and then recompile the ATI
          > driver for your system. ...
          >
          > # rpm -i --nodeps --force fglrx-blahblahblah...
          >
          > then, iirc, find your way to /lib/modules/fglrx and
          > follow the directions found there to build the module.
          > After building, it should instruct you to run
          > fglrxconfig (or something like that) and that should
          > configure your xorg.conf file pretty close to
          > something reasonable.

          no .sig found
          Please restart your browser.