Newbie+Debian 3.0r1 + Inspiron 8200 + ATI Radeon M9 = :(

  • ooouio
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2005
      Hello

      Does anyone have succed in installing ATI Radeon cards?

      So i installed Debian 3.0r1 but no way to start X server. I'tried to
      install fglrx_4_1_0-8.12.10-1.i386.rpm driver from ATI site(i used
      alien to transform rpm in .deb =>failed, so i tried rpm2cpio =>ok)

      Then i used dpkg-buildpackage with my .dsc file to build a .deb, but
      after 7minutes an error occured.
      Then i tried to install make.sh from the build directory, but
      another error with the msg : GCC version is bad (current is gcc-
      2.95).
      So apt-get install gcc-3.0 : ok installed, but when i type man gcc
      the version is 2.95???

      So i decided to compile the kernel (current 2.4.18), i downloaded
      2.4.19 source and tar jvxzf ....
      I read on the web that i'd rather to install kernel-image-2.4.19 but
      i didn't find it...
      I used this command : apt-cache search kernel-image-2.4.19 but no
      img was find.

      GCC?
      2/ How can i install the ATI driver after the kernel compilation?

      Thanks for your help even my informations are confused.
    • Haedn Thorn
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2005
        --- ooouio <ooouio@...> wrote:

        > driver) with a good
        > GCC?
        > 2/ How can i install the ATI driver after the kernel
        > compilation?

        I would use rpm directly and then recompile the ATI
        driver for your system. ...

        # rpm -i --nodeps --force fglrx-blahblahblah...

        then, iirc, find your way to /lib/modules/fglrx and
        follow the directions found there to build the module.
        After building, it should instruct you to run
        fglrxconfig (or something like that) and that should
        configure your xorg.conf file pretty close to
        something reasonable.
      • D. R. E. Moonfire
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2005
          Haedn Thorn wrote:
          > --- ooouio <ooouio@...> wrote:

          >>driver) with a good
          >>GCC?
          >>2/ How can i install the ATI driver after the kernel
          >>compilation?
          >

          > I would use rpm directly and then recompile the ATI
          > driver for your system. ...
          >
          > # rpm -i --nodeps --force fglrx-blahblahblah...
          >
          > then, iirc, find your way to /lib/modules/fglrx and
          > follow the directions found there to build the module.
          > After building, it should instruct you to run
          > fglrxconfig (or something like that) and that should
          > configure your xorg.conf file pretty close to
          > something reasonable.

          Actually, if your kernel is right (look at make-kpkg to make a new one),
          you can apt-get fglrx-kernel-src which should give you what you need to
          create the internal packages.
        • uteck
          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2005
            http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html
            makes debian packages of the ATI fglrx driver, I used them for awhile
            with no problem.

            On 5/5/05, Haedn Thorn <lordhaedn@...> wrote:

            > --- ooouio <ooouio@...> wrote:

            > > driver) with a good
            > > GCC?
            > > 2/ How can i install the ATI driver after the kernel
            > > compilation?
            >
            > I would use rpm directly and then recompile the ATI
            > driver for your system. ...
            >
            > # rpm -i --nodeps --force fglrx-blahblahblah...
            >
            > then, iirc, find your way to /lib/modules/fglrx and
            > follow the directions found there to build the module.
            > After building, it should instruct you to run
            > fglrxconfig (or something like that) and that should
            > configure your xorg.conf file pretty close to
            > something reasonable.

            no .sig found
            Please restart your browser.