Laptop Lid Button Inspiron8500

  • exciter_violator
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2005
      Anyone have any ideas on how to make the lid button turn off the
      display? I often leave my laptop running over night while it's doing
      all sorts of things and would like the screen to turn off (not just go
      blank).

      FYI, I'm running CentOS4, Inspiron 8500, ATI Mobility 9M. Let me know
      if any further info is needed...
    • Felipe Gordillo
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2005
        exciter_violator escribió:

        > Anyone have any ideas on how to make the lid button turn off the
        > display? I often leave my laptop running over night while it's doing
        > all sorts of things and would like the screen to turn off (not just go
        > blank).
        >
        > FYI, I'm running CentOS4, Inspiron 8500, ATI Mobility 9M. Let me know
        > if any further info is needed...

        xset dpms force off
      • Paul Gratz
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2005
          That will should turn off the screen, however if you want to use the lid
          button you really need to get acpi working. Do a search on the yahoo
          groups webpage, I've got the same exact laptop and I've documented how I
          did it a while ago.
          Paul

          On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 18:09 +0200, Felipe Gordillo wrote:
          > exciter_violator escribió:
          >
          > > Anyone have any ideas on how to make the lid button turn off the
          > > display? I often leave my laptop running over night while it's doing
          > > all sorts of things and would like the screen to turn off (not just go
          > > blank).
          > >
          > > FYI, I'm running CentOS4, Inspiron 8500, ATI Mobility 9M. Let me know
          > > if any further info is needed...
          > >

          > xset dpms force off

          Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
        • exciter_violator
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2005
            Cool, thank you for that command. What I ended up doing was put an
            entry in my ~/.xscreensaver called Kill Monitor that runs that
            command... so now when the screensaver comes on it just turns off the
            monitor instead...

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Felipe Gordillo