Re: [linux-dell-laptops] LCD going black

  • Haedn Thorn
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28 5:49 AM
      --- david_bacle <david_bacle@...> wrote:
      > Sorry for posting a hardware issue, but I've never
      > worked inside a
      > laptop before and I need some advice/help with this
      > one. I was in
      > the middle of a Jedi Knight session on my Inspiron
      > 8100, when my
      > screen went black. I thought the program had
      > overwhelmed the
      > processor or graphics chip, so I rebooted. After
      > starting another
      > session, the screen did the same thing. I concluded
      > there must be a
      > problem with the LCD since nothing else
      > (drivers/software) had
      > changed. The LCD will stay on for about 3-5 minutes
      > before going
      > black. This is regardless of any software running
      > (it even happened
      > in while loading the dell diagnostic tools from
      > floppies).
      >
      > After hours on the phone with tech support, they
      > want to charge me
      > $500 plus shipping to fix it. I've taken the laptop
      > to a few places
      > around town and the general concensus is a failed
      > inverter. I have
      > received bids from >$200 to $75 plus the cost of the
      > inverter ($40).
      >
      > So here are my questions:
      > 1. Based on the description above, do you think the
      > problem is the
      > inverter?
      > 2. If so, being somewhat of a geek, is this a
      > problem i could fix?
      > 3. If so, are there any tutorials or instructions on
      > the web?
      > 4. Is there any other advice you can give me
      > concerning this, or
      > should i shut up and fork over the $120?

      If they have correctly diagnosed it as the inverter,
      it isn't that difficult to replace (assuming it is a
      module vs built-in on the driver board for the LCD)
      ... It should be a matter of locating the unit and the
      part number, orderring it from whoever has it for
      less, and then just unplug the old and plug in the new....