Re: [linux-dell-laptops] headphone jack not working

  • ken
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 27, 2005
      James Carruthers wrote:

      > Hello Group,
      >
      > I'm running Suse 9.2 on my Inspiron 1100, dual booting with XP. I
      > still need XP for much of my work, so I don't log into the Linux side
      > of my laptop as much as I'd like.
      >
      > Yesterday I just noticed that when I plug my headphones in I get no
      > sound. The jack doesn't work.
      >
      > Any ideas, anyone?
      > Thanks
      > James

      Perhaps run:

      gnome-volume-control

      do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
      -- Bradford Angier
    • Gavrila
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 27, 2005
        On Wednesday 27 April 2005 13:23, James Carruthers wrote:
        > Hello Group,
        >
        > I'm running Suse 9.2 on my Inspiron 1100, dual booting with XP.  I still
        > need XP for much of my work, so I don't log into the Linux side of my
        > laptop as much as I'd like.
        >
        > Yesterday I just noticed that when I plug my headphones in I get no
        > sound.  The jack doesn't work.
        >
        > Any ideas, anyone?
        > Thanks
        > James

        Have you tried raising the volume in alsa mixer? Could it be that? Otherwise
        are you sure that the module for your soundcard is loaded?
      • James Carruthers
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 27, 2005
          I suppose I should have been a little more clear.  The sound works great through the built-in speakers.  It is ONLY the headphones which are silent.  However, the hardware is good:  headphones are fine and the jack is fine because I use them both in XP all the time.  So, to clarify: sound is on, speakers work and if I play some audio file it works great until I plug the headphones in, then no sound.  When I unplug the headphones again the sound comes back again.  (The headphones I'm using do not have their own separate volume control, they are totally simple.)

          Gavrila wrote:
          On Wednesday 27 April 2005 13:23, James Carruthers wrote:
          >  Hello Group,
          >
          >  I'm running Suse 9.2 on my Inspiron 1100, dual booting with XP.  I still
          > need XP for much of my work, so I don't log into the Linux side of my
          > laptop as much as I'd like.
          >
          >  Yesterday I just noticed that when I plug my headphones in I get no
          > sound.  The jack doesn't work.
          >
          >  Any ideas, anyone?
          >  Thanks
          >  James

          Have you tried raising the volume in alsa mixer? Could it be that? Otherwise
          are you sure that the module for your soundcard is loaded?

          .
        • George Ogata
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 28, 2005
            James Carruthers <mysticsound@...> writes:

            > I suppose I should have been a little more clear.  The sound works
            > great through the built-in speakers.  It is ONLY the headphones which
            > are silent.  However, the hardware is good:  headphones are fine and
            > the jack is fine because I use them both in XP all the time.  So, to
            > clarify: sound is on, speakers work and if I play some audio file it
            > works great until I plug the headphones in, then no sound.  When I
            > unplug the headphones again the sound comes back again.  (The
            > headphones I'm using do not have their own separate volume control,
            > they are totally simple.)<br>

            The headphone jack (not the headphones themselves) often has its own
            volume control. Try using `alsamixer' (or similar) to set the volume.
            (I had the same hiccup when I first got my laptop.)

            PS. I suggest you don't post to mailing lists in HTML. Some people
            won't read such messages at all, and others may be, um... "unfriendly"
            about it.
          • Paul Gratz
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 28, 2005
              Yeah several people have brought this up before, you need to run
              alsamixer and unmute the headphones. The headphones have a completely
              separate amp and volume control.
              Paul

              --
              Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
            • Haedn Thorn
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 28, 2005
                wrote:
                ---------------------------------
                I suppose I should have been a little more clear.
                The sound worksgreat through the built-in speakers.
                It is ONLY the headphones whichare silent. However,
                the hardware is good: headphones are fine andthe jack
                is fine because I use them both in XP all the time.
                So, toclarify: sound is on, speakers work and if I
                play some audio file itworks great until I plug the
                headphones in, then no sound. When Iunplug the
                headphones again the sound comes back again.
                (Theheadphones I'm using do not have their own
                separate volume control,they are totally simple.)

                'alsamixer' often has a seperate volume control for
                the headphone jack. Windows does not do this: it links
                the speaker and headphone volume automatically. Some
                soundcards, however, do not have a seperate mixer, in
                which case you may have to poke around on the ALSA
                site for a bit to find your particular card and issue. http://www.alsa-project.org
              • Alwin Gupta
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 28, 2005
                  James,

                  There is a separate control for headphones in alsamixer, hope you have noticed
                  that....

                  -Alwin

                  ---------------------------------

                  Gavrila wrote:On Wednesday 27 April 2005 13:23, James Carruthers wrote:
                  > Hello Group,
                  >
                  > I'm running Suse 9.2 on my Inspiron 1100, dual booting with XP. I still
                  > need XP for much of my work, so I don't log into the Linux side ofmy
                  > laptop as much as I'd like.
                  >
                  > Yesterday I just noticed that when I plug my headphones in I getno
                  > sound. The jack doesn't work.
                  >
                  > Any ideas, anyone?
                  > Thanks
                  > James

                  Have you tried raising the volume in alsa mixer? Could it be that?Otherwise
                  are you sure that the module for your soundcard is loaded?

                  .

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • James Carruthers
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 29, 2005
                    Wow, thanks for everyone's input and patience for such a simple
                    question. Of course the answer was in the mixer, as you all said.
                    Thanks again for indulging a newb.
                    James