Re: Distros... which for easy admin?? (also [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 2062)

  • ken
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2005
      Irlandes,

      Thanks for your post. There's a lot here to think about.

      irlandes wrote:

      >[....]
      >
      >With a zillion (speaking metaphorically) different brands in the world,
      >there is no Linux distro anywhere that will run on all of them. Period.
      >Think about this. Zillions of different builders, all making computers
      >for the same small software. Also, makers of peripherals also all making
      >peripherals for the same small set of software.

      Good point. This is why I check to see if Linux will run on all the
      hardware before ever buying a computer. Yes, it's generally a mistake
      to buy the computer first and then see if Linux will install on it.

      >[....]
      >
      >IN ANY CASE, YOU WILL NEED TO EXPERIMENT WITH VARIOUS DISTROS AND YOUR
      >SPECIFIC HARDWARE, NO ONE UNLESS THEY HAVE THE SAME EXACT HARDWARE, CAN
      >GIVE YOU ANY CERTAIN RECOMMENDATION, THEY CAN ONLY TELL YOU WHAT
      >HAPPENED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC SYSTEM.

      In a lot of cases it's possible to rely on the experiences of others.
      So, thankfully, I really don't have to try everything on my own. If
      several people say that some application is broken and I can't find
      anyone who says that they got it working (with instructions as to how
      they did it), then I can probably assume that application is in fact broken.

      In addition, I'm looking for a way to avoid doing a lot of unnecessary
      administrative chores. Having to maintain several distributions would
      require quite a bit more effort than maintaining just one. And if
      there's just one distro to maintain, then perhaps I will have more time
      to track down bugs, implement my own fixes, and share these with the
      community at large. So by having a relatively low maintenance system, I
      can make contributions to Linux which will help others. If, on the
      other hand, I have to spend a lot of time just maintaining my system(s),
      there's less time available to me for contributions.

      >(Note that also what one does with a computer also is part of the
      >equation. For example, CentOs 4 looked good on my Dell Laptop Inspiron
      >2650, except I need KPPP which did not work within the time I had
      >available for the install and setup. If I used my machine on a high
      >speed service, instead of dial-up, I would probably be using CentOs4 at
      >this moment.)

      It's been a long time since I used dial-up, but I found that wvdial
      worked great. It wasn't a fancy GUI, but rather just a command line
      utility, but it had my modem working in less than thirty seconds. (And
      this after I'd struggled for half a day with other apps.)

      >***
      >I realize there may be a problem compiling from source, with your [x
      >needs y needs z needs z]. Or, I should better say I do not compile from
      >source, thus really don't know how dependencies work on that method.
      >
      >With RPM's as such, this in itself is not really a problem at all. Type
      >at a prompt, man rpm and you will see that you can install x with
      >--nodeps and then y --nodeps and then z --nodeps.
      >
      >i.e. -- rpm -ivh --nodeps rpm-name.rpm

      Yes, that's a possible solution. I use "--nodeps" with great
      reservations, figuring I really shouldn't have to use it. And the XYZ
      example I gave is the simplest possible example. In reality, the web of
      dependencies and the dependencies on dependencies... is quite a bit more
      extensive than my simple example. I worry about "--nodeps" hosing my
      system, but I'm to the point where I'm ready to upgrade the whole thing
      anyway, so I may as well throw a lot of crap into the grinder and see
      what happens.

      >And, urpmi basically sorts out the dependencies for you.

      That's the rumor I've heard, but I've gotten dependency failures using
      "urpmi" too.

      >If that is all the problem you have, you are indeed directly blessed by
      >God!

      Are you implying I could practice faith-based systems administration? :)

      >[....]
      >
      >Do remember from previous postings that if you have a large enough HD,
      >you can install a number of distros on the same machine, and run
      >whichever distro you want at a given moment. [....]

      I've done this kind of thing before and it was fun the first few times.
      But I'm interested in doing other things now and just want to have a
      stable and secure system or two for this. But thanks for the
      suggestions. Perhaps someone else reading this will be inspired to try
      it though.

      Thanks again for the recommendations.

      Regards,
      ken

      do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
      -- Bradford Angier