Inspiron 1100: X problems while installing Mandrake

  • Jeff Melton
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2005
      I have been running Mandrake 9.2 on my Inspiron 1100 (using the A29
      BIOS) for about a year now, and wanted to clear room for Debian as
      well as fix some annoying glitches (program crashes, etc.) that had
      started to become more frequent. So, I decided to re-install 9.2, re-
      sizing my Windows partition as well as making my new root partition a
      little smaller than the old one. I should also mention, although I
      don't know if it has anything at all to do with my problems, that I
      also upgraded to the A32 BIOS.

      Long story short, I've had nothing but problems re-installing a
      distro that had installed with no hitches whatsoever when I first got
      this computer! First, the installation program "forgot" to install
      Gnome, OpenOffice, and about half the other programs I had requested
      it to.

      So I thought I may as well try installing 10.1 while I was at it, so
      I downloaded that & tried to install it. No X! Frustrated, I
      decided to try setting everything back the way it was, so I re-
      installed the A29 BIOS, reformatted everything except the Windows
      partition, and attempted to put 9.2 back on. This time, all programs
      were installed and I thought I was back in business -- but, again, X
      wouldn't start. I fiddled with the monitor settings, and was able to
      get back into X, but only with a pretty small screen. If I try to
      make it 1024 x 768, the system crashes. I've appended my XF86Config
      below. Anyone have any ideas how to fix my X? Thanks!

      # File generated by XFdrake.

      #
      # Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
      # this file.
      #

      Section "Files"
      # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated
      together)
      # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server
      independent of
      # the X server to render fonts.
      FontPath "unix/:-1"
      EndSection

      Section "ServerFlags"
      #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution
      switching)
      #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
      AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the
      mouse doesn't work
      EndSection

      Section "Module"
      Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
      Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
      Load "extmod"
      Load "type1"
      Load "freetype"
      Load "glx" # 3D layer
      Load "dri" # direct rendering
      EndSection

      Section "DRI"
      Mode 0666
      EndSection

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "Keyboard1"
      Driver "Keyboard"
      Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
      Option "XkbLayout" "en_US"
      Option "XkbOptions" ""
      EndSection

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "Mouse1"
      Driver "mouse"
      Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
      Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
      Option "Emulate3Buttons"
      Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
      EndSection

      Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "monitor1"
      VendorName "Dell"
      ModelName "Dell 1024x768 Laptop Display Panel"
      HorizSync 31.5-48.5
      VertRefresh 59.0-75.0

      # Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?
      # 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync
      ModeLine "1024x480" 65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344 480 488 494
      563 -hsync -vsync

      # TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
      # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
      ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595
      630

      # 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
      ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590
      616
      EndSection

      Section "Device"
      Identifier "device1"