which 2.6.11 kernels are safe?

  • David Carlton
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11, 2005
      I seem to recall an earlier thread saying that certain 2.6.11 kernels
      have bugs that cause problems (with the touchpad?) on Dell laptops. I
      didn't pay too much attention at the time, but now that Fedora Core 3
      has released a 2.6.11-based kernel, I'm trying to figure out whether I
      should upgrade to it or not. The kernel in question seems to be based
      on 2.6.11.7.

      Thanks,
      David Carlton
      carlton@...
    • Christoph Eckert
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 11, 2005
        > I seem to recall an earlier thread saying that certain
        > 2.6.11 kernels have bugs that cause problems (with the
        > touchpad?) on Dell laptops.  I didn't pay too much
        > attention at the time, but now that Fedora Core 3 has
        > released a 2.6.11-based kernel, I'm trying to figure out
        > whether I should upgrade to it or not.  The kernel in
        > question seems to be based on 2.6.11.7.

        I also heard about these issues. So I'm still running a
        vanilla 2.6.10, and it works great on my i8200.

        Best regards

        ce
      • Haedn Thorn
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 11, 2005
          --- Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@...>
          wrote:

          > > I seem to recall an earlier thread saying that
          > certain
          > > 2.6.11 kernels have bugs that cause problems (with
          > the
          > > touchpad?) on Dell laptops. I didn't pay too much
          > > attention at the time, but now that Fedora Core 3
          > has
          > > released a 2.6.11-based kernel, I'm trying to
          > figure out
          > > whether I should upgrade to it or not. The kernel
          > in
          > > question seems to be based on 2.6.11.7.
          >
          > I also heard about these issues. So I'm still
          > running a
          > vanilla 2.6.10, and it works great on my i8200.

          I haven't tried -.7 yet, but the issues still exsisted
          in -.6 ... The new driver for the ALPS responds a
          little oddly at times and has the hardware tapping
          disabled. The lack of tapping is really the show
          stopper for me. Also, it takes a great deal of effort
          to make the ATI drivers work with 2.6.11 .. I did have
          it functional after a bit of Googling and a patch, but
          it took more effort than I thought it should.
        • David Carlton
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 23, 2005
            On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:12:38 -0700, David Carlton <carlton@...> said:

            > I seem to recall an earlier thread saying that certain 2.6.11
            > kernels have bugs that cause problems (with the touchpad?) on Dell
            > laptops. I didn't pay too much attention at the time, but now that
            > Fedora Core 3 has released a 2.6.11-based kernel, I'm trying to
            > figure out whether I should upgrade to it or not. The kernel in
            > question seems to be based on 2.6.11.7.

            I've tried it, and the issues are still there. (Fedora calls ths
            2.6.11-1.14_FC3, if anybody cares.) Tapping on the touchpad doesn't
            work, and occasionally I get phantom taps. It's useable if necessary,
            but 2.6.10 is certainly a better experience for me.

            David Carlton
            carlton@...
          • theuteck@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 24, 2005
              I disabled tapping in KDE and I still get taps registered and doing
              things. A bit annoying, but I will just have to dig out my wireless
              mini-mouse and use it.

              On 4/23/05, David Carlton <carlton@...> wrote:

              > On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:12:38 -0700, David Carlton <carlton@...>
              > said:
              >
              > > I seem to recall an earlier thread saying that certain 2.6.11
              > > kernels have bugs that cause problems (with the touchpad?) on Dell
              > > laptops. I didn't pay too much attention at the time, but now that
              > > Fedora Core 3 has released a 2.6.11-based kernel, I'm trying to
              > > figure out whether I should upgrade to it or not. The kernel in
              > > question seems to be based on 2.6.11.7.
              >
              > I've tried it, and the issues are still there. (Fedora calls ths
              > 2.6.11-1.14_FC3, if anybody cares.) Tapping on the touchpad doesn't
              > work, and occasionally I get phantom taps. It's useable if necessary,
              > but 2.6.10 is certainly a better experience for me.
              >
              > David Carlton
              > carlton@...

              no .sig found
              Please restart your browser.
            • richardg1952
              Message 6 of 8 , May 25, 2005
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, David Carlton
                <carlton@b...> wrote:
                > On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:12:38 -0700, David Carlton <carlton@b...> said:
                >
                > > I seem to recall an earlier thread saying that certain 2.6.11
                > > kernels have bugs that cause problems (with the touchpad?) on Dell
                > > laptops. I didn't pay too much attention at the time, but now that
                > > Fedora Core 3 has released a 2.6.11-based kernel, I'm trying to
                > > figure out whether I should upgrade to it or not. The kernel in
                > > question seems to be based on 2.6.11.7.
                >
                > I've tried it, and the issues are still there. (Fedora calls ths
                > 2.6.11-1.14_FC3, if anybody cares.) Tapping on the touchpad doesn't
                > work, and occasionally I get phantom taps. It's useable if necessary,
                > but 2.6.10 is certainly a better experience for me.

                I just installed the 2.6.11-1.27_FC3 kernel. It still has the same
                problems with the touchpad. Some googling produced a work-around
                though. Add psmouse.proto=exps to the kernel boot parameters in
                grub.conf. The Alps touchpad tapping then works.
                I'm running it right now.

                Richard
              • David Carlton
                Message 7 of 8 , May 27, 2005
                  On Wed, 25 May 2005 20:18:55 -0000, "richardg1952" <richardg1952@...> said:

                  > I just installed the 2.6.11-1.27_FC3 kernel. It still has the same
                  > problems with the touchpad. Some googling produced a work-around
                  > though. Add psmouse.proto=exps to the kernel boot parameters in
                  > grub.conf. The Alps touchpad tapping then works. I'm running it
                  > right now.

                  Thanks! It's working much better now: I can click by tapping, and I
                  haven't noticed any phantom clicks yet.

                  The next time I reboot, I'll try replacing the boot option by adding
                  'options psmouse proto=exps' to /etc/modprobe.conf: hopefully that
                  will be more robust across kernel upgrades.

                  David Carlton
                  carlton@...
                • David Carlton
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 29, 2005
                    On Fri, 27 May 2005 20:15:57 -0700, David Carlton <carlton@...> said:

                    > The next time I reboot, I'll try replacing the boot option by adding
                    > 'options psmouse proto=exps' to /etc/modprobe.conf: hopefully that
                    > will be more robust across kernel upgrades.

                    That doesn't seem to work; I'm too lazy to figure out the correct
                    syntax, so I'll stick with the grub.conf version.

                    David Carlton
                    carlton@...