Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: dual booting

  • ken
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
      roberto wrote:

      > Sorry for me to be a little confusing.
      > At the moment, i have let's say three partitions on the HD:
      > 1. dellutility (54,4 MB)
      > 2. C: (74,4 GB)
      > 3. "hidden partition" (as Dell names it) (all the rest up to the
      dimension of HD = 80 GB)

      > I want to install Linux, giving it as much space as possible, but
      keeping a little space also for Windows, just to little usage testing.

      > I will sweep away the entire C:, then install Linux on say about 65 GB,
      and reistalling WS using DellUtility on the little free space left,
      keeping the hidden partition untouched.
      > Tell me if this is good.
      >
      > One last thing: What is WS cd Dell Gave me? What is its purpose?
      >
      > Than you and please be patient with me!
      > Bye.

      [... deleted a *lot* of text...]

      The simplest way would be to leave the 5.4G utility partition. Also
      leave the Windows partition, but shrink it down. Then install Linux.

      Warning: If you install Windows after installing Linux, Windows will
      destroy the ability to boot into Linux.

      hth,
      ken

      do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
      -- Bradford Angier