Inspiron 510m install problems

  • Peter Martinez
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2005
      After verifying that my new USB hard-drive was recognised by the BIOS in my
      510m, I have been trying to install LINUX on it. I have here a set of Red
      Hat 7.3 CDs, which I had played with a few years ago, and it seemed a good
      idea to pick up from where I left off, but I have run into problems and
      would be grateful if anyone can point out what is likely to have gone wrong.

      The 510m booted into the CD fine, and the installation seemed to be going
      well. The only thing that seemed odd was that it had identified the USB hard
      drive as 'sda'. I would have expected 'hdb'. It had added some reference to
      scsi in a kernel parameter. The long installation process halted with an
      exception after an hour, and did the same again on a second attempt. I cut
      the install options down to a minimum and tried again, and this time it
      completed OK. I put GRUB on the partition boot sector.

      If I now boot into the USB drive from the BIOS menu, I just get "GRUB " in
      the top left corner. If I boot from the floppy that the installation
      generated, I get "Boot failed", and if I boot from a third-party multi-boot
      utility (GAG) on a floppy, the Grub welcome screen appears, followed by
      several screenfulls of boot-up messages, ending with an assortment of error
      messages like "failed to exec /sbin/modprobe", "mount: error 6 mounting
      ext3", and the last one "Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing
      init=option to kernel".

      The USB HDD MBR is correct, and the first sector of the /boot partition
      looks like the start of GRUB. I suspect there's more than one problem. Can
      anyone point me in the right direction please.

      Peter