Re: [linux-dell-laptops] how can i configure my eth0 interface to get dynamic ip from proxy server

  • Paul Gratz
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
      It depends a bit on your distribution. In mine, gentoo, you can get an
      IP address (assuming you are using dhcp) by doing:

      localhost root # dhcpcd -d eth0

      For eth0, replace with eth1 or whatever port it is you are bringing up.
      Some distributions use either "pump" or "dhclient" instead of dhcpcd
      (use "man pump" or "man dhclient" to find usage info for those, I
      haven't used either in some time). The command "ifconfig" will tell you
      which interfaces have been configured. For example here is the output of
      mine (after using dhcpcd to bring up the eth0 interface):

      localhost root # ifconfig
      eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0B:DB:18:1B:C0
      inet addr:128.83.158.104 Bcast:128.83.158.255
      Mask:255.255.255.0
      UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
      RX bytes:75435314 (71.9 Mb) TX bytes:17223032 (16.4 Mb)
      Interrupt:11

      lo Link encap:Local Loopback
      inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
      UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
      RX bytes:820976 (801.7 Kb) TX bytes:820976 (801.7 Kb)

      As you can see I have two if's configured, eth0 and lo. The important
      thing to look for is does the interface have an associated IP address in
      that paragraph. If it does not then something went wrong. You can
      check the logs in /var/log/ to see what went wrong. In my distribution
      dhcpcd writes to a file in /var/log/dhcpcd/current with info about its
      success or failure in getting an IP address and other info (routing,
      dns, etc.).

      Note, doing it this way (dhcpcd or whatever on the IF) is kind of going
      through it the hard way. Most distributions have a preferred method
      using some init script but sometimes when you are first setting things
      up its useful to know the manual "hard" way.

      Paul

      On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 22:49 +0000, Muhammad Aurangzeb wrote:

      > how can i configure my eth0 interface to get dynamic ip from proxy
      > server and how can i know that (in command mode) that the internet is
      > working pls tell me ins command?
      > i ve installed linux in cli(command line interface) mode , can i use
      > GUI (graphical user interface) internet i mean can i swich to SUI
      > browser for internet.

      Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
    • Chris Fox