how can i configure my eth0 interface to get dynamic ip from proxy server

  • Muhammad Aurangzeb
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
      how can i configure my eth0 interface to get dynamic ip from proxy
      server and how can i know that (in command mode) that the internet is
      working pls tell me ins command?
      i ve installed linux in cli(command line interface) mode , can i use
      GUI (graphical user interface) internet i mean can i swich to SUI
      browser for internet.
    • Paul Gratz
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
        It depends a bit on your distribution. In mine, gentoo, you can get an
        IP address (assuming you are using dhcp) by doing:

        localhost root # dhcpcd -d eth0

        For eth0, replace with eth1 or whatever port it is you are bringing up.
        Some distributions use either "pump" or "dhclient" instead of dhcpcd
        (use "man pump" or "man dhclient" to find usage info for those, I
        haven't used either in some time). The command "ifconfig" will tell you
        which interfaces have been configured. For example here is the output of
        mine (after using dhcpcd to bring up the eth0 interface):

        localhost root # ifconfig
        eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0B:DB:18:1B:C0
        inet addr:128.83.158.104 Bcast:128.83.158.255
        Mask:255.255.255.0
        UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
        collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
        RX bytes:75435314 (71.9 Mb) TX bytes:17223032 (16.4 Mb)
        Interrupt:11

        lo Link encap:Local Loopback
        inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
        UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
        collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
        RX bytes:820976 (801.7 Kb) TX bytes:820976 (801.7 Kb)

        As you can see I have two if's configured, eth0 and lo. The important
        thing to look for is does the interface have an associated IP address in
        that paragraph. If it does not then something went wrong. You can
        check the logs in /var/log/ to see what went wrong. In my distribution
        dhcpcd writes to a file in /var/log/dhcpcd/current with info about its
        success or failure in getting an IP address and other info (routing,
        dns, etc.).

        Note, doing it this way (dhcpcd or whatever on the IF) is kind of going
        through it the hard way. Most distributions have a preferred method
        using some init script but sometimes when you are first setting things
        up its useful to know the manual "hard" way.

        Paul

        On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 22:49 +0000, Muhammad Aurangzeb wrote:

        > how can i configure my eth0 interface to get dynamic ip from proxy
        > server and how can i know that (in command mode) that the internet is
        > working pls tell me ins command?
        > i ve installed linux in cli(command line interface) mode , can i use
        > GUI (graphical user interface) internet i mean can i swich to SUI
        > browser for internet.

        Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
      • Chris Fox

          Muhammad Aurangzeb wrote:

          | how can i configure my eth0 interface to get dynamic ip from proxy
          | server and how can i know that (in command mode) that the internet is
          | working pls tell me ins command?
          | i ve installed linux in cli(command line interface) mode , can i use
          | GUI (graphical user interface) internet i mean can i swich to SUI
          | browser for internet.

          What distro are you using? Most of the bigger ones have some GUI tool
          to do things like this. Mandrake has its Control Center, Libranet has
          its adminmenu, most KDE- and Gnome-using distros have something on the
          panel menu for doing settings like this.

          If you're feeling adventurous you can log on as root and edit
          /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0; it's pretty obvious how you
          would do it and there's online help too.