Problems installing Linux on Inspiron 9300

  • evwhite
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
      Hi, I'm new to this group, but have tried to search the archives as
      thoroughly as possible. I was unable to come up with anything on the
      new Dell Inspiron 9300.

      I've been having a real headache trying to get Fedora 3 installed on
      it. Originally I tried to dual-boot it with Windows XP, but after that
      failed, I decided to eliminate some variables and wipe the entire
      drive clean and start over.

      I followed all the default options for a workstation installation, but
      after it finishes, the first boot is awfully slow (like 10 minutes)
      and it seems to stall at a number of places. If I boot to X, it
      freezes on a gray screen after the graphical startup sequence. If I
      boot to runlevel 3, I can at least login, and then start the X server,
      but it runs uncharacteristically slow. And this on the latest laptop
      out there. Once it finally gets in to the GUI, I have slow response
      time (1 minute to open a terminal window). When I try to shutdown, I
      get an error message about the ethernet card scrolling endlessly down
      the screen until I finally turn it off manually.

      Has anyone else seen anything like this? Any ideas what the problem
      could be? Is the hardware too new for the last Fedora 3 distro? Are
      the 915 chipset or the fast RAM or the video card not yet supported?
      Are there other distros that people have tested and have worked (I
      don't want a distro war, just something that will work).

      Here's the specs on the laptop:
      Pentium M 760 2Ghz / 533Mhz
      2.0 GM DDR2 533 Mhz RAM
      17" UXGA Widescreen Display w/ Trulife
      256 MB NVIDA GeForce Go 6800
      100 GB Hard Drive
      8x DVD/CD RW
      Internal wired (Intel) and wireless (Dell) networking
      Bluetooth

      Thanks for any help out there.
      ~Evan
    • Haedn Thorn
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
        --- evwhite <evwhite@...> wrote:
        > Hi, I'm new to this group, but have tried to search
        > the archives as
        > thoroughly as possible. I was unable to come up with
        > anything on the
        > new Dell Inspiron 9300.
        >
        > I've been having a real headache trying to get
        > Fedora 3 installed on
        > it. Originally I tried to dual-boot it with Windows
        > XP, but after that
        > failed, I decided to eliminate some variables and
        > wipe the entire
        > drive clean and start over.
        >
        > I followed all the default options for a workstation
        > installation, but
        > after it finishes, the first boot is awfully slow
        > (like 10 minutes)
        > and it seems to stall at a number of places. If I
        > boot to X, it
        > freezes on a gray screen after the graphical startup
        > sequence. If I
        > boot to runlevel 3, I can at least login, and then
        > start the X server,
        > but it runs uncharacteristically slow. And this on
        > the latest laptop
        > out there. Once it finally gets in to the GUI, I
        > have slow response
        > time (1 minute to open a terminal window). When I
        > try to shutdown, I
        > get an error message about the ethernet card
        > scrolling endlessly down
        > the screen until I finally turn it off manually.
        >
        > Has anyone else seen anything like this? Any ideas
        > what the problem
        > could be? Is the hardware too new for the last
        > Fedora 3 distro? Are
        > the 915 chipset or the fast RAM or the video card
        > not yet supported?
        > Are there other distros that people have tested and
        > have worked (I
        > don't want a distro war, just something that will
        > work).
        >
        > Here's the specs on the laptop:
        > Pentium M 760 2Ghz / 533Mhz
        > 2.0 GM DDR2 533 Mhz RAM
        > 17" UXGA Widescreen Display w/ Trulife
        > 256 MB NVIDA GeForce Go 6800
        > 100 GB Hard Drive
        > 8x DVD/CD RW
        > Internal wired (Intel) and wireless (Dell)
        > networking
        > Bluetooth

        With hardware that new, you will almost certainly have
        to configure your own kernel. To me, at least, this is
        a trivial matter and should be done whenever you
        install a new system (or when you need something to do
        for about 15 minutes ;) ... Also, the proprietary
        nVidia drivers would probably be a good idea. You can
        get them from www.nvidia.com (big surprise!) and the
        kernel from www.kernel.org ... I don't think the 2.4
        kernel series has support for the i915 or i925 yet,
        but I'm pretty sure I saw some references in 2.6 ...
        I've had some issues with 2.6.11, so I'd recommend
        going with 2.6.10 (at least if you have an ALPS
        touchpad and want to use it!) I don't believe the type
        of RAM should be an issue, as that interface should be
        provided transparently by the chipset.

        It sounds like you've got a pretty awesome system to
        play with. Good luck with it.
      • evwhite
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
          Haedn,
          Thanks for the tip. Do you know of a good howto that covers kernel
          compilation? I've never done that myself before because I've always
          had fairly conservative hardware. Is there any special trick to using
          the NVIDIA driver? Do I load them before or after I compile the
          kernel? Do I compile the kernel before installing Fedora again, or do
          I just recompile it now, with Fedora already loaded (but running poorly)?

          Thanks,
          ~Evan

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn
          <lordhaedn@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > Bluetooth
          >
          > With hardware that new, you will almost certainly have
          > to configure your own kernel. To me, at least, this is
          > a trivial matter and should be done whenever you
          > install a new system (or when you need something to do
          > for about 15 minutes ;) ... Also, the proprietary
          > nVidia drivers would probably be a good idea. You can
          > get them from www.nvidia.com (big surprise!) and the
          > kernel from www.kernel.org ... I don't think the 2.4
          > kernel series has support for the i915 or i925 yet,
          > but I'm pretty sure I saw some references in 2.6 ...
          > I've had some issues with 2.6.11, so I'd recommend
          > going with 2.6.10 (at least if you have an ALPS
          > touchpad and want to use it!) I don't believe the type
          > of RAM should be an issue, as that interface should be
          > provided transparently by the chipset.
          >
          > It sounds like you've got a pretty awesome system to
        • Haedn Thorn
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
            --- evwhite <evwhite@...> wrote:

            > Haedn,
            > Thanks for the tip. Do you know of a good howto
            > that covers kernel
            > compilation? I've never done that myself before
            > because I've always
            > had fairly conservative hardware. Is there any
            > special trick to using
            > the NVIDIA driver? Do I load them before or after I
            > compile the
            > kernel? Do I compile the kernel before installing
            > Fedora again, or do
            > I just recompile it now, with Fedora already loaded
            > (but running poorly)?

            There are a pile of HOWTOs at tldp.org ... It's been
            quite a while since I've looked, but they tend to be
            just slightly out of date. But really, if you know
            your hardware you don't need a howto. Download the
            source from kernel.org and untar it where-ever you
            like (2.6 doesn't care where it compiles, as long as
            you leave it there for later modules) Go into the
            directory and do 'make mrproper' ... Optionally, you
            can grab your old config file (as long as you already
            have at least 2.6.0) and copy it to this directory as
            ".config" then do 'make oldconfig' .. This will give
            you a starting point that matches your current
            configuration. Then do 'make menuconfig' from a shell
            or 'make xconfig' if you're in X, and go through all
            the options to be sure your hardware will have the
            drivers it needs. Some people recommend compiling
            everything possible as a module to save memory, but
            with 2GB, you really don't need to worry about that ;)
            It does take a little trial and error sometimes, but
            I've never had to reload a new system more than twice.
            After you select all your options and exit and save,
            do 'make' ... This, unlike 2.4 and earlier, will
            handle your dependencies, compiling the kernel, and
            compiling the modules. After this point, there are a
            few options...

            1) Linus' way: do 'make install' ... If you use lilo
            and 'vmlinuz' in the root directory, this is the
            easiest way to go. ... I don't know if this handles
            installing the modules. It didn't in 2.4

            2) My way: do 'make modules_install' which installs
            all your modules where they go, then copy 'System.map'
            to '/boot', cp './arch/i386/boot/bzImage' to '/boot'
            and then run lilo (of course, my '/etc/lilo.conf' file
            already points to files in these locations) .. I also
            have to do 'dd if=/dev/hda4 of=~/bootsect.lnx bs=512
            count=1' and copy that file to my C: drive so ntldr
            can boot Linux .... But that's covered well in the
            WinNT+Linux HOWTO ...

            3) whatever you do when you use grub? ... I've never
            used grub. I imagine at least the 'make
            modules_install' portion is the same, and probably
            copying the 'System.map' and 'bzImage' files ... But
            then you have to tell grub that you are using the new
            kernel and map ... I know I saw a grub HOWTO in the
            list as well ..

            Of course, everything but the way I do it could be
            less than 100% accurate, since I've done it more or
            less the same since 1996 ;) ... And I prefer
            Slackware, in case I hadn't mentioned it ... (not to
            start a distro war, just as a basis for where my
            config files are)

            Umm.. O, and nVidia has gotten a bit easier... They
            have an install program now, one file to download and
            run. It _should_ compile against your kernel (which
            already needs to be running) and install which ever
            components it needs. You will still need to edit your
            XFree86.conf, or xorg.conf, or whatever your system
            uses, to point to the appropriate graphics driver.
            It's been a little while, but I believe it's "nvidia"
            for the proprietary driver and "nv" for the open
            source one. There may be some other minor changes you
            need to make to tweak X to your likings, but I'll let
            the nvidia documentation or someone running nvidia
            presently to help you with that. All my systems but my
            laptop run nvidia, but none of them are running X. It
            was before 2.6 came out since I used X on one of my
            other boxes.

            O, and you have to install the distro before compiling
            the kernel, but the kernel befre the modules. ... I
            don't have experience with RedHat after 7.2.
          • ken
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
              evwhite wrote:

              > <>
              > Haedn,
              > Thanks for the tip. Do you know of a good howto that covers kernel
              > compilation? I've never done that myself before because I've always
              > had fairly conservative hardware. Is there any special trick to using
              > the NVIDIA driver? Do I load them before or after I compile the
              > kernel? Do I compile the kernel before installing Fedora again, or do
              > I just recompile it now, with Fedora already loaded (but running poorly)?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > ~Evan
              >
              > [....]

              Of course opinions will vary, but I haven't found a really good doc on
              kernel compiling. Some are sketchier than others and in different
              places. Virtually none of them tell you what to do if something doesn't
              go according to what the howto says. It's best to look at several. One
              will fill in where another is missing info.

              do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
              -- Bradford Angier
            • timb810
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
                I received my Inspiron 9300 about 2 weeks ago and installed Fedora
                Core 3 on it without any serious problems. It has roughly the same
                specs as the machine you have. You do not need to build your own
                kernel. About the only thing that is a little goofy is that the CD
                writer/DVD reader won't go into DMA mode. A mainine kernel would
                probably fix that, but I figure Redhat will get it working soon enough.

                A couple notes. I have the intel wireless card, not the dell one.
                Also, watch the boot in text mode and see if there are any long pauses
                on starting up some services. For some reason FC3 insists on
                installing sendmail and starting it up. That usually results in a
                minute or two pause in bootup until you can turn it off.

                Tim

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "evwhite" <evwhite@y...> wrote:

                > Hi, I'm new to this group, but have tried to search the archives as
                > thoroughly as possible. I was unable to come up with anything on the
                > new Dell Inspiron 9300.
                >
                > I've been having a real headache trying to get Fedora 3 installed on
                > it. Originally I tried to dual-boot it with Windows XP, but after that
                > failed, I decided to eliminate some variables and wipe the entire
                > drive clean and start over.
                >
                > I followed all the default options for a workstation installation, but
                > after it finishes, the first boot is awfully slow (like 10 minutes)
                > and it seems to stall at a number of places. If I boot to X, it
                > freezes on a gray screen after the graphical startup sequence. If I
                > boot to runlevel 3, I can at least login, and then start the X server,
                > but it runs uncharacteristically slow. And this on the latest laptop
                > out there. Once it finally gets in to the GUI, I have slow response
                > time (1 minute to open a terminal window). When I try to shutdown, I
                > get an error message about the ethernet card scrolling endlessly down
                > the screen until I finally turn it off manually.
                >
                > Has anyone else seen anything like this? Any ideas what the problem
                > could be? Is the hardware too new for the last Fedora 3 distro? Are
                > the 915 chipset or the fast RAM or the video card not yet supported?
                > Are there other distros that people have tested and have worked (I
                > don't want a distro war, just something that will work).
                >
                > Here's the specs on the laptop:
                > Pentium M 760 2Ghz / 533Mhz
                > 2.0 GM DDR2 533 Mhz RAM
                > 17" UXGA Widescreen Display w/ Trulife
                > 256 MB NVIDA GeForce Go 6800
                > 100 GB Hard Drive
                > 8x DVD/CD RW
                > Internal wired (Intel) and wireless (Dell) networking
                > Bluetooth
                >

                > Thanks for any help out there.
                > ~Evan
              • Evan White
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
                  Tim,
                  Were there any tricks to your installation? Or did
                  you simply do a default Workstation installation? I
                  think that the Dell Wireless is definitely one of my
                  problems, and I'm having trouble finding decent
                  drivers for it. I finally disabled it from the BIOS
                  just to see if I could get everything else working
                  first, but it's still really slow all around. And I
                  can't get the wired ethernet working either. The
                  startup definitely stalls at a number of places. At
                  the very beginning it says checking for new hardware
                  and stalls after network, and then after audio too for
                  a minute or two each. It stalls when starting the
                  eth0 and then again when starting X. The whole boot
                  probably takes 10 minutes! But you say the FC3 kernel
                  works fine, eh? Well, at least that gives me hope.
                  ~evan

                  --- timb810 <tbeckman@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > get an error message about the ethernet card
                  > scrolling endlessly down
                  > > the screen until I finally turn it off manually.
                  > >
                  > > Has anyone else seen anything like this? Any ideas
                  > what the problem
                  > > could be? Is the hardware too new for the last
                  > Fedora 3 distro? Are
                  > > the 915 chipset or the fast RAM or the video card
                  > not yet supported?
                  > > Are there other distros that people have tested
                  > and have worked (I
                  > > don't want a distro war, just something that will
                  > work).
                  > >
                  > > Here's the specs on the laptop:
                  > > Pentium M 760 2Ghz / 533Mhz
                  > > 2.0 GM DDR2 533 Mhz RAM
                  > > 17" UXGA Widescreen Display w/ Trulife
                  > > 256 MB NVIDA GeForce Go 6800
                  > > 100 GB Hard Drive
                  > > 8x DVD/CD RW
                  > > Internal wired (Intel) and wireless (Dell)

                  __________________________________
                  Yahoo! Messenger
                • Evan White
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
                    Solution:
                    Installing a new kernel (from RPM not recompiling) was
                    sufficient to get everything working smoothly.
                    Apparently the problem was with recognition of the
                    network card. Relevant Bugzilla links:

                    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=138816

                    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=145099

                    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=145109

                    I downloaded these four files and installed them:

                    hal-0.4.7-1.FC3.i386.rpm
                    hal-gnome-0.4.7-1.FC3.i386.rpm
                    initscripts-7.93.7-1.i386.rpm
                    kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3.i686.rpm

                    Thanks to everyone,
                    ~evan

                  • timb810
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
                      Glad you got it working. I did forget to mention that after the
                      second boot, I used up2date to update everything. And I also haven't
                      actually hooked the wired network up at all yet (just disabled it).
                      So, that was probably the difference...

                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Evan White <evwhite@y...>