Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: dual booting

  • ken
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2004
      roberto wrote:

      > Sorry for me to be a little confusing.
      > At the moment, i have let's say three partitions on the HD:
      > 1. dellutility (54,4 MB)
      > 2. C: (74,4 GB)
      > 3. "hidden partition" (as Dell names it) (all the rest up to the
      dimension of HD = 80 GB)

      > I want to install Linux, giving it as much space as possible, but
      keeping a little space also for Windows, just to little usage testing.

      > I will sweep away the entire C:, then install Linux on say about 65 GB,
      and reistalling WS using DellUtility on the little free space left,
      keeping the hidden partition untouched.
      > Tell me if this is good.
      >
      > One last thing: What is WS cd Dell Gave me? What is its purpose?
      >
      > Than you and please be patient with me!
      > Bye.

      [... deleted a *lot* of text...]

      The simplest way would be to leave the 5.4G utility partition. Also
      leave the Windows partition, but shrink it down. Then install Linux.

      Warning: If you install Windows after installing Linux, Windows will
      destroy the ability to boot into Linux.

      hth,
      ken

      do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
      -- Bradford Angier
    • roberto
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2005
        But if take a look at the HD by Partition Magic, i see the HD is 74.4 GB big, not 80 as it should
        be according to BIOS.
        Dell told me the rest is accounted for a hidden partition which is used to rescue XP for
        reinstallation. Now i want to know:

        -- i want to install linux only on HD, but keeping the hidden partition to rescue XP if needed. I
        got CD rescue for XP from Dell. So, may i also cancel the Dell Utility or not? Can i rescue XP
        from CD Dell gave me or not? Dell utility partition rescues XP reading from the hidden partition,
        right?
        I wrote Dell these questions but they told me nothing more i could know from Partion Magic by
        myself (up to now, at least, since i am still writing to them and waiting for new answers...)

        Than you!

        > Yes, that is your Dell utility/rescue partition. I kept that while
        > reformatting everything else on my HD in order to have dual boot
        > capability on my D600. I used Partition Magic to wipe clean and reformat
        > everything BUT the Dell utility partition, creating a small ntfs primary
        > partition and a much larger extended ext3 partition including a linux
        > swap equal to my RAM. Then I first reinstalled XP and its drivers on the
        > small primary partition, and finally Linux / and swap on the large
        > extended partition, installing Grub on the master boot record. Here is
        > the output from fdisk:
        >
        > Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
        > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
        > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
        >
        > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
        > /dev/hda1 1 7 56196 de Dell Utility
        > /dev/hda2 * 8 1027 8193150 7 HPFS/NTFS
        > /dev/hda3 1028 7296 50355742+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
        > /dev/hda5 1028 7231 49833598+ 83 Linux
        > /dev/hda6 7232 7296 522081 82 Linux swap
        >
        > Best regards,
        > CB

      • ken
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2005
          roberto wrote:

          >[....] Now i want to know:
          >
          >-- i want to install linux only on HD, but keeping the hidden partition to rescue XP if needed. I
          >got CD rescue for XP from Dell. So, may i also cancel the Dell Utility or not? Can i rescue XP
          >from CD Dell gave me or not? Dell utility partition rescues XP reading from the hidden partition,
          >right?
          >I wrote Dell these questions but they told me nothing more i could know from Partion Magic by
          >myself (up to now, at least, since i am still writing to them and waiting for new answers...)
          >
          >Than you!

          Roberto, I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you want to do. Do you
          want to have XP on your laptop? You say you want "linux only on HD" but
          the Subject line refers to dual-booting. (??)

          If you're not going to have XP on your laptop, then you don't need the
          rescue partition and you can delete that partition.

          >>[....]

          do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
          -- Bradford Angier
        • Haedn Thorn
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2005
            --- roberto <robcatanuto@...> wrote:

            > But if take a look at the HD by Partition Magic, i
            > see the HD is 74.4 GB big, not 80 as it should
            > be according to BIOS.
            > Dell told me the rest is accounted for a hidden
            > partition which is used to rescue XP for
            > reinstallation. Now i want to know:
            >
            > -- i want to install linux only on HD, but keeping
            > the hidden partition to rescue XP if needed. I
            > got CD rescue for XP from Dell. So, may i also
            > cancel the Dell Utility or not? Can i rescue XP
            > from CD Dell gave me or not? Dell utility partition
            > rescues XP reading from the hidden partition,
            > right?
            > I wrote Dell these questions but they told me
            > nothing more i could know from Partion Magic by
            > myself (up to now, at least, since i am still
            > writing to them and waiting for new answers...)

            The hidden partition will likely contain things like
            drivers and configuration files. Also, probably some
            of the core system files ... All these things can be
            had from the Dell XP and Dell Drivers discs. ... If
            your hard drive becomes corrupt or infected, I
            wouldn't trust the data in that partition anyway. It
            doesn't take very long to install Winblows, and
            fetching all the latest drivers (and a ridiculous
            nunmber of security patches) is a good way to learn
            what hardware you have before you tackle your Linux
            install. Even though many of the "user friendly"
            distros do a pretty good job of auto-detecting most of
            your hardware, knowing what you have so you can double
            check as it goes along is beneficial.
          • roberto
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3, 2005
              Sorry for me to be a little confusing.
              At the moment, i have let's say three partitions on the HD:
              1. dellutility (54,4 MB)
              2. C:           (74,4 GB)
              3. "hidden partition" (as Dell names it) (all the rest up to the dimension of HD = 80 GB)

              I want to install Linux, giving it as much space as possible, but keeping a little space also for Windows, just to little usage testing.

              I will sweep away the entire C:, then install Linux on say about 65 GB, and reistalling WS using DellUtility on the little free space left, keeping the hidden partition untouched.
              Tell me if this is good.

              One last thing: What is WS cd Dell Gave me? What is its purpose?

              Than you and please be patient with me!
              Bye.

              dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              There are 16 messages in this issue.

              Topics in this digest:

              1. Re: dual booting
              From: roberto
              2. Problems installing Linux on Inspiron 9300
              From: "evwhite"
              3. Re: Re: dual booting
              From: ken
              4. Re: Re: dual booting
              From: Haedn Thorn
              5. Re: Problems installing Linux on Inspiron 9300
              From: Haedn Thorn
              6. Re: Linksys WPC54G + Suse 9.2
              From: "iznot68"
              7. Libranet Part Three
              From: Chris Fox
              8. Re: Digest Number 2040
              From: Irlandes
              9. Re: Digest Number 2040
              From: Chris Fox
              10. Re: Problems installing Linux on Inspiron 9300
              From: "evwhite"
              11. Re: Re: Problems installing Linux on Inspiron 9300
              From: Haedn Thorn
              12. Re: Re: Problems installing Linux on Inspiron 9300
              From: ken
              13. under-supported video drivers
              From: Chris Fox
              14. Re: Newb to Linux and an 8600
              From: "Ryan"
              15. Re: Re: Newb to Linux and an 8600
              From: ken
              16. Re: Problems installing Linux on Inspiron 9300
              From: "timb810"

              Message: 1
              Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:38:12 +0200 (CEST)
              From: roberto
              Subject: Re: dual booting

              But if take a look at the HD by Partition Magic, i see the HD is 74.4 GB big, not 80 as it should
              be according to BIOS.
              Dell told me the rest is accounted for a hidden partition which is used to rescue XP for
              reinstallation. Now i want to know:

              -- i want to install linux only on HD, but keeping the hidden partition to rescue XP if needed. I
              got CD rescue for XP from Dell. So, may i also cancel the Dell Utility or not? Can i rescue XP
              from CD Dell gave me or not? Dell utility partition rescues XP reading from the hidden partition,
              right?
              I wrote Dell these questions but they told me nothing more i could know from Partion Magic by
              myself (up to now, at least, since i am still writing to them and waiting for new answers...)

              Than you!

              > Yes, that is your Dell utility/rescue partition. I kept that while
              > reformatting everything else on my HD in order to have dual boot
              > capability on my D600. I used Partition Magic to wipe clean and reformat
              > everything BUT the Dell utility partition, creating a small ntfs primary
              > partition and a much larger extended ext3 partition including a linux
              > swap equal to my RAM. Then I first reinstalled XP and its drivers on the
              > small primary partition, and finally Linux / and swap on the large
              > extended partition, installing Grub on the master boot record. Here is
              > the output from fdisk:
              >
              > Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
              > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
              > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
              >
              > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
              > /dev/hda1 1 7 56196 de Dell Utility
              > /dev/hda2 * 8 1027 8193150 7 HPFS/NTFS
              > /dev/hda3 1028 7296 50355742+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
              > /dev/hda5 1028 7231 49833598+ 83 Linux
              > /dev/hda6 7232 7296 522081 82 Linux swap
              >
              > Best regards,
              > CB

              Message: 2
              Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:16:43 -0000
              From: "evwhite"
              Subject: Problems installing Linux on Inspiron 9300

              Hi, I'm new to this group, but have tried to search the archives as
              thoroughly as possible. I was unable to come up with anything on the
              new Dell Inspiron 9300.

              I've been having a real headache trying to get Fedora 3 installed on
              it. Originally I tried to dual-boot it with Windows XP, but after that
              failed, I decided to eliminate some variables and wipe the entire
              drive clean and start over.

              I followed all the default options for a workstation installation, but
              after it finishes, the first boot is awfully slow (like 10 minutes)
              and it seems to stall at a number of places. If I boot to X, it
              freezes on a gray screen after the graphical startup sequence. If I
              boot to runlevel 3, I can at least login, and then start the X server,
              but it runs uncharacteristically slow. And this on the latest laptop
              out there. Once it finally gets in to the GUI, I have slow response
              time (1 minute to open a terminal window). When I try to shutdown, I
              get an error message about the ethernet card scrolling endlessly down
              the screen until I finally turn it off manually.

              Has anyone else seen anything like this? Any ideas what the problem
              could be? Is the hardware too new for the last Fedora 3 distro? Are
              the 915 chipset or the fast RAM or the video card not yet supported?
              Are there other distros that people have tested and have worked (I
              don't want a distro war, just something that will work).

              Here's the specs on the laptop:
              Pentium M 760 2Ghz / 533Mhz
              2.0 GM DDR2 533 Mhz RAM
              17" UXGA Widescreen Display w/ Trulife
              256 MB NVIDA GeForce Go 6800
              100 GB Hard Drive
              8x DVD/CD RW
              Internal wired (Intel) and wireless (Dell) networking
              Bluetooth

              Thanks for any help out there.
              ~Evan

              Message: 3
              Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 07:33:27 -0500
              From: ken
              Subject: Re: Re: dual booting

              roberto wrote:

              >[....] Now i want to know:
              >
              >-- i want to install linux only on HD, but keeping the hidden partition to rescue XP if needed. I
              >got CD rescue for XP from Dell. So, may i also cancel the Dell Utility or not? Can i rescue XP
              >from CD Dell gave me or not? Dell utility partition rescues XP reading from the hidden partition,
              >right?
              >I wrote Dell these questions but they told me nothing more i could know from Partion Magic by
              >myself (up to now, at least, since i am still writing to them and waiting for new answers...)
              >
              >Than you!

              Roberto, I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you want to do. Do you
              want to have XP on your laptop? You say you want "linux only on HD" but
              the Subject line refers to dual-booting. (??)

              If you're not going to have XP on your laptop, then you don't need the
              rescue partition and you can delete that partition.

              >>[....]

              do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
              -- Bradford Angier

              Message: 4
              Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 05:43:55 -0800 (PST)
              From: Haedn Thorn

              --- roberto wrote:

              > But if take a look at the HD by Partition Magic, i
              > see the HD is 74.4 GB big, not 80 as it should
              > be according to BIOS.
              > Dell told me the rest is accounted for a hidden
              > partition which is used to rescue XP for
              > reinstallation. Now i want to know:
              >
              > -- i want to install linux only on HD, but keeping
              > the hidden partition to rescue XP if needed. I
              > got CD rescue for XP from Dell. So, may i also
              > cancel the Dell Utility or not? Can i rescue XP
              > from CD Dell gave me or not? Dell utility partition
              > rescues XP reading from the hidden partition,
              > right?
              > I wrote Dell these questions but they told me
              > nothing more i could know from Partion Magic by
              > myself (up to now, at least, since i am still
              > writing to them and waiting for new answers...)

              The hidden partition will likely contain things like
              drivers and configuration files. Also, probably some
              of the core system files ... All these things can be
              had from the Dell XP and Dell Drivers discs. ... If
              your hard drive becomes corrupt or infected, I
              wouldn't trust the data in that partition anyway. It
              doesn't take very long to install Winblows, and
              fetching all the latest drivers (and a ridiculous
              nunmber of security patches) is a good way to learn
              what hardware you have before you tackle your Linux
              install. Even though many of the "user friendly"
              distros do a pretty good job of auto-detecting most of
              your hardware, knowing what you have so you can double
              check as it goes along is beneficial.

              Message: 5
              Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 05:55:16 -0800 (PST)
              From: Haedn Thorn
              Subject: Re: Problems installing Linux on Inspiron 9300

              --- evwhite wrote:
              > Hi, I'm new to this group, but have tried to search
              > the archives as
              > thoroughly as possible. I was unable to come up with
              > anything on the
              > new Dell Inspiron 9300.
              >
              > I've been having a real headache trying to get
              > Fedora 3 installed on
              > it. Originally I tried to dual-boot it with Windows
              > XP, but after that
              > failed, I decided to eliminate some variables and
              > wipe the entire
              > drive clean and start over.
              >
              > I followed all the default options for a workstation
              > installation, but
              > after it finishes, the first boot is awfully slow
              > (like 10 minutes)
              > and it seems to stall at a number of places. If I
              > boot to X, it
              > freezes on a gray screen after the graphical startup
              > sequence. If I
              > boot to runlevel 3, I can at least login, and then
              > start the X server,
              > but it runs uncharacteristically slow. And this on
              > the latest laptop
              > out there. Once it finally gets in to the GUI, I
              > have slow response
              > time (1 minute to open a terminal window). When I
              > try to shutdown, I
              > get an error message about the ethernet card
              > scrolling endlessly down
              > the screen until I finally turn it off manually.
              >
              > Has anyone else seen anything like this? Any ideas
              > what the problem
              > could be? Is the hardware too new for the last
              > Fedora 3 distro? Are
              > the 915 chipset or the fast RAM or the video card
              > not yet supported?
              > Are there other distros that people have tested and
              > have worked (I
              > don't want a distro war, just something that will
              > work).
              >
              > Here's the specs on the laptop:
              > Pentium M 760 2Ghz / 533Mhz
              > 2.0 GM DDR2 533 Mhz RAM
              > 17" UXGA Widescreen Display w/ Trulife
              > 256 MB NVIDA GeForce Go 6800
              > 100 GB Hard Drive
              > 8x DVD/CD RW
              > Internal wired (Intel) and wireless (Dell)
              > networking
              > Bluetooth

              With hardware that new, you will almost certainly have
              to configure your own kernel. To me, at least, this is
              a trivial matter and should be done whenever you
              install a new system (or when you need something to do
              for about 15 minutes ;) ... Also, the proprietary
              nVidia drivers would probably be a good idea. You can
              get them from www.nvidia.com (big surprise!) and the
              kernel from www.kernel.org ... I don't think the 2.4
              kernel series has support for the i915 or i925 yet,
              but I'm pretty sure I saw some references in 2.6 ...
              I've had some issues with 2.6.11, so I'd recommend
              going with 2.6.10 (at least if you have an ALPS
              touchpad and want to use it!) I don't believe the type
              of RAM should be an issue, as that interface should be
              provided transparently by the chipset.

              It sounds like you've got a pretty awesome system to
              play with. Good luck with it.

              Message: 6
              Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:06:07 -0000
              From: "iznot68"
              Subject: Re: Linksys WPC54G + Suse 9.2

              Well,

              I'm using ndiswrapper but no luck. I'm following instructions at
              http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/Suse%20Professional%209.2
              but I cannot ping my default gateway. I don't have my machine with me
              so I cannot provide much more info. Will try again later tonight.

              bcbv

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Jim Diamond wrote:
              > On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 16:57 (-0000), iznot68 wrote:
              >
              > > Anyone have any luck getting a linksys WPC54G working under Suse9.2?
              > Since no one else has replied yet, let me answer a related question...
              >
              > I have a WPC54GS working under Slackware 10.0. I suspect there is
              > hope for you (assuming you know about ndiswrapper). I just upgraded
              > to ndiswrapper V 1.1 and it is working fine.
              >
              > Cheers.
              >
              > Jim

              Message: 7
              Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:29:04 -0800
              From: Chris Fox
              Subject: Libranet Part Three

              Message: 8
              Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:29:26 -0600
              From: Irlandes
              Subject: Re: Digest Number 2040

              I have been offline for a while. I note that some of you have made
              remarks about a flame war between Chris Fox and me. Let us examine the
              two words, flame and war. Flames are angry personal attacks on an
              individual. A war is a mutual attack. On this list, there have been no
              flame wars at all. Go back and read the mails. The only flames have
              been generated by Chris Fox, when someone says something he doesn't
              like.

              I originally made a comment that I did not know why anyone would pay
              $50 more for XP, an inferior product. Maybe some of you didn't like
              that comment, but it is not a personal attack on anyone. Chris
              responded with anger directed at me, i.e., flames. Then, I stated why I
              felt XP was an inferior product. I do not believe my statement included
              any personal attack. Chris responded with more personal attacks.

              Someone else explained his problems with Microsoft, and I believe did
              not include any personal attack. Chris responded with a personal attack,
              accusing the other person of "patently false" statements, which is a
              euphemism for lying. When the other person explained his statements,
              Chris attacked again, this time agreeing the person was actually correct
              when Chris accused him of lying, but then sarcastically asked why he had
              even expected Microsoft to help him.

              Let me say again. All flames have come from Chris, not from anyone else.
              I will say again, Chris or those who have agreed with him, do not belong
              on any Linux forum anywhere, not because it is my business. But, because
              a very high percentage of Linux users had really bad experience with
              Windows, and my 'inferior' comment will not be worth notice on most
              Linux forums. I am reminded of Rodney King's statement that we should
              all try go get along, shortly before he was arrested several times for
              such things as wife-beating.

              Now, let us discuss the user agreements all Yahoo participants accept
              before they come on any Yahoo forum or message board. Those rules
              plainly state that there is to be no personal attacks on any Yahoo board
              or list, and no obscenities or vulgar language. And, it further states
              that when there is any abuse the users have accepted the fact that staff
              decisions involving abuse of user rules will be summary, that is, there
              is no guaranteed right to due process and no appeal. You all accepted
              those rules. Chris accepted them.

              I suspect Chris is a product of mail servers, which have no rules, and
              the nastier a person is, the more he is admired. This is not a mail
              list, it is a Yahoo group.

              Only one time did I file an abuse charge on Yahoo. In a travel board on
              Mexico City someone posted a really nasty, racist comment directed at
              all Mexicans as a group. I reported it, and next time I checked, it was
              gone, without any response to me from the abuse staff.

              Yahoo has more or less the following policy, dedicated to keeping the
              boards and groups fairly sane. If they get an abuse complaint, I believe
              they have four options:

              1. Do not investigate, if the complaint does not sound serious.

              2. Investigate and take no action if no violation is found.

              3. Delete the offending material.

              4. Shut down the user i.d, that is, ban the user.

              They do not give final warnings as some forums do. They do not ask to
              hear both sides. They do not notify anyone, including usually the
              offender, of their actions or reasons for their actions. And, the rules
              you accepted state pretty much what I have said. If I am in error, the
              error is minor.

              Since several of you apparently do not understand those rules, this is a
              good time to read them again. Note what is explicitly forbidden, and
              note whether it says that calling a commercial product inferior, and
              explaining on a group list why you think so, is also forbidden. I think
              you will find that it is not.

              Look at my postings. Maybe you don't like them for whatever reason, but
              there is no personal attack there. There is in Chris' postings. That
              comment about Vaseline(tm) alone has a fifty percent chance of getting
              him kicked off the list when (not if) an abuse complaint is filed.

              But, to me 50% is not enough. I have his mails, and I am going to
              patiently wait. People like Chris do not change their ways. He has
              made it clear that he considers himself judge, jury, and prosecutor with
              right to review all postings, and if he does not like them, he will
              engage in extremely nasty attacks on the poster.

              When his behavior pattern reaches 90% probability of getting him kicked
              off, then I will pack it all up and send it to the abuse staff.

              And, if he stops his personal attacks, and engages in polite
              disagreement, then I sure won't file a complaint. This is not a perfect
              society, but generally in the U.S. we believe that except for the most
              outrageous behavior, people deserve a second chance.

              Message: 9
              Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:38:56 -0800
              From: Chris Fox

              Message: 10
              Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:53:15 -0000
              From: "evwhite"

              Haedn,
              Thanks for the tip. Do you know of a good howto that covers kernel
              compilation? I've never done that myself before because I've always
              had fairly conservative hardware. Is there any special trick to using
              the NVIDIA driver? Do I load them before or after I compile the
              kernel? Do I compile the kernel before installing Fedora again, or do
              I just recompile it now, with Fedora already loaded (but running poorly)?

              Thanks,
              ~Evan

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn
              wrote:

> [...]
              > > Bluetooth
              >
              > With hardware that new, you will almost certainly have
              > to configure your own kernel. To me, at least, this is
              > a trivial matter and should be done whenever you
              > install a new system (or when you need something to do
              > for about 15 minutes ;) ... Also, the proprietary
              > nVidia drivers would probably be a good idea. You can
              > get them from www.nvidia.com (big surprise!) and the
              > kernel from www.kernel.org ... I don't think the 2.4
              > kernel series has support for the i915 or i925 yet,
              > but I'm pretty sure I saw some references in 2.6 ...
              > I've had some issues with 2.6.11, so I'd recommend
              > going with 2.6.10 (at least if you have an ALPS
              > touchpad and want to use it!) I don't believe the type
              > of RAM should be an issue, as that interface should be
              > provided transparently by the chipset.
              >
              > It sounds like you've got a pretty awesome system to

              Message: 11
              Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:13:49 -0800 (PST)
              From: Haedn Thorn
              Subject: Re: Re: Problems installing Linux on Inspiron 9300

              --- evwhite wrote:

              > Haedn,
              > Thanks for the tip. Do you know of a good howto
              > that covers kernel
              > compilation? I've never done that myself before
              > because I've always
              > had fairly conservative hardware. Is there any
              > special trick to using
              > the NVIDIA driver? Do I load them before or after I
              > compile the
              > kernel? Do I compile the kernel before installing
              > Fedora again, or do
              > I just recompile it now, with Fedora already loaded
              > (but running poorly)?

              There are a pile of HOWTOs at tldp.org ... It's been
              quite a while since I've looked, but they tend to be
              just slightly out of date. But really, if you know
              your hardware you don't need a howto. Download the
              source from kernel.org and untar it where-ever you
              like (2.6 doesn't care where it compiles, as long as
              you leave it there for later modules) Go into the
              directory and do 'make mrproper' ... Optionally, you
              can grab your old config file (as long as you already
              have at least 2.6.0) and copy it to this directory as
              ".config" then do 'make oldconfig' .. This will give
              you a starting point that matches your current
              configuration. Then do 'make menuconfig' from a shell
              or 'make xconfig' if you're in X, and go through all
              the options to be sure your hardware will have the
              drivers it needs. Some people recommend compiling
              everything possible as a module to save memory, but
              with 2GB, you really don't need to worry about that ;)
              It does take a little trial and error sometimes, but
              I've never had to reload a new system more than twice.
              After you select all your options and exit and save,
              do 'make' ... This, unlike 2.4 and earlier, will
              handle your dependencies, compiling the kernel, and
              compiling the modules. After this point, there are a
              few options...

              1) Linus' way: do 'make install' ... If you use lilo
              and 'vmlinuz' in the root directory, this is the
              easiest way to go. ... I don't know if this handles
              installing the modules. It didn't in 2.4

              2) My way: do 'make modules_install' which installs
              all your modules where they go, then copy 'System.map'
              to '/boot', cp './arch/i386/boot/bzImage' to '/boot'
              and then run lilo (of course, my '/etc/lilo.conf' file
              already points to files in these locations) .. I also
              have to do 'dd if=/dev/hda4 of=~/bootsect.lnx bs=512
              count=1' and copy that file to my C: drive so ntldr
              can boot Linux .... But that's covered well in the
              WinNT+Linux HOWTO ...

              3) whatever you do when you use grub? ... I've never
              used grub. I imagine at least the 'make
              modules_install' portion is the same, and probably
              copying the 'System.map' and 'bzImage' files ... But
              then you have to tell grub that you are using the new
              kernel and map ... I know I saw a grub HOWTO in the
              list as well ..

              Of course, everything but the way I do it could be
              less than 100% accurate, since I've done it more or
              less the same since 1996 ;) ... And I prefer
              Slackware, in case I hadn't mentioned it ... (not to
              start a distro war, just as a basis for where my
              config files are)

              Umm.. O, and nVidia has gotten a bit easier... They
              have an install program now, one file to download and
              run. It _should_ compile against your kernel (which
              already needs to be running) and install which ever
              components it needs. You will still need to edit your
              XFree86.conf, or xorg.conf, or whatever your system
              uses, to point to the appropriate graphics driver.
              It's been a little while, but I believe it's "nvidia"
              for the proprietary driver and "nv" for the open
              source one. There may be some other minor changes you
              need to make to tweak X to your likings, but I'll let
              the nvidia documentation or someone running nvidia
              presently to help you with that. All my systems but my
              laptop run nvidia, but none of them are running X. It
              was before 2.6 came out since I used X on one of my
              other boxes.

              O, and you have to install the distro before compiling
              the kernel, but the kernel befre the modules. ... I
              don't have experience with RedHat after 7.2.

              Message: 12
              Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:08:10 -0500
              From: ken

              evwhite wrote:

              > <>
              > Haedn,
              > Thanks for the tip. Do you know of a good howto that covers kernel
              > compilation? I've never done that myself before because I've always
              > had fairly conservative hardware. Is there any special trick to using
              > the NVIDIA driver? Do I load them before or after I compile the
              > kernel? Do I compile the kernel before installing Fedora again, or do
              > I just recompile it now, with Fedora already loaded (but running poorly)?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > ~Evan
              >
              > [....]

              Of course opinions will vary, but I haven't found a really good doc on
              kernel compiling. Some are sketchier than others and in different
              places. Virtually none of them tell you what to do if something doesn't
              go according to what the howto says. It's best to look at several. One
              will fill in where another is missing info.

              do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
              -- Bradford Angier

              Message: 13
              Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:23:49 -0800
              From: Chris Fox
              Subject: under-supported video drivers

              Message: 14
              Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:51:52 -0000
              From: "Ryan"
              Subject: Re: Newb to Linux and an 8600

              Ok after all the wierd problems I had, I reinstalled FC3 and have am
              still trying to get the wireless set up. First i put the firmware
              files into the file /lib/firmware
              I then went to the folder with the driver and ran make. It spit this
              at me:

              /bin/sh: cc: command not found
              make -C /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build
              SUBDIRS=/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0
              MODVERDIR=/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0 modules
              /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 11: gcc:
              command not found
              /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 12: gcc:
              command not found
              make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build'
              CC [M] /root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0/ipw2200.o
              /bin/sh: gcc: command not found
              make[2]: *** [/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0/ipw2200.o] Error 127
              make[1]: *** [_module_/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0] Error 2
              make[1]: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build'
              make: *** [modules] Error 2

              I have no idea what it means and the error tells even me something
              didn't work. Is something not installed that I need? Thanks for the
              help, I really need it and appreciate it.
              Cheers,
              Ryan

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Philip Trickett
              wrote:
              > On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 18:21 -0800, Haedn Thorn wrote:
              > >
              > Snip
              > > http://ipw2200.sf.net has native linux drivers and
              > > some hints to get you going. You DO need to have
              > > wireless enabled in your kernel. I would guess that
              > > the Fedora's stock kernel should have this enabled,
              > > but you should be able to find the config file and
              > > look for it in there. You'll want to see a line that
              > > says:
              > >
              > > CONFIG_NET_RADIO=y
              > >
              > > ... Other than that, make sure your wireless tools are
              > > updated as per the recommendations on SourceForge (the
              > > link above) and that you have the appropriate firmware
              > > in the correct directory (again, sf.net has this info)
              > > ... As far as configuration scripts, I assume Fedora
              > > has some sort of utility to make this part easy. The
              > > scripts that came with Slackware work great for me.
              >
              > When you have set up the wireless card, you might want to enable
              > NetworkManager, this helps with wireless networking, and will
              > automatically switch between wired and wireless networking.
              >
              > To do this:
              >
              > login as root (or you can use sudo for this if you have configured it)
              >
              > execute the following command:
              >
              > /sbin/chkconfig --level 35 NetworkManager on
              >
              > /sbin/service NetworkManager start
              >
              > then you can just execute the following command in a gnome terminal:
              > NetworkManagerInfo &
              >
              > just save your session when you log out of gnome.
              >
              > Next time you log in, the NetworkManager icon will appear in your
              > notification area. Click on it to see the options.
              >
              > HTH,
              >
              > Phil

              Message: 15
              Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:21:00 -0500
              From: ken
              Subject: Re: Re: Newb to Linux and an 8600

              Ryan wrote:

              >Ok after all the wierd problems I had, I reinstalled FC3 and have am
              >still trying to get the wireless set up. First i put the firmware
              >files into the file /lib/firmware
              >I then went to the folder with the driver and ran make. It spit this
              >at me:
              >
              >/bin/sh: cc: command not found
              >make -C /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build
              >SUBDIRS=/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0
              >MODVERDIR=/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0 modules
              >/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 11: gcc:
              >command not found
              >/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 12: gcc:
              >command not found
              >make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build'
              > CC [M] /root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0/ipw2200.o
              >/bin/sh: gcc: command not found
              >make[2]: *** [/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0/ipw2200.o] Error 127
              >make[1]: *** [_module_/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0] Error 2
              >make[1]: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build'
              >make: *** [modules] Error 2
              >
              >I have no idea what it means and the error tells even me something
              >didn't work. Is something not installed that I need? Thanks for the
              >help, I really need it and appreciate it.
              >Cheers,
              >Ryan
              >

              >[....]

              You need to install gcc. So go to redhat's site, find it, download and
              install it. Then try again.

              hth,
              ken

              do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
              -- Bradford Angier

              Message: 16
              Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:38:54 -0000
              From: "timb810"

              I received my Inspiron 9300 about 2 weeks ago and installed Fedora
              Core 3 on it without any serious problems. It has roughly the same
              specs as the machine you have. You do not need to build your own
              kernel. About the only thing that is a little goofy is that the CD
              writer/DVD reader won't go into DMA mode. A mainine kernel would
              probably fix that, but I figure Redhat will get it working soon enough.

              A couple notes. I have the intel wireless card, not the dell one.
              Also, watch the boot in text mode and see if there are any long pauses
              on starting up some services. For some reason FC3 insists on
              installing sendmail and starting it up. That usually results in a
              minute or two pause in bootup until you can turn it off.

              Tim

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/