Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re:

  • Carter Brey
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2005
      roberto wrote:

      > Well i'd like to understand one thing:
      > i see that Dell Utility partition 54,4 MB big. That is NOT the hidden
      > XP rescue partition Dell
      > told they installed on my system, is it?
      > I'd like to reformat the entire HD, keeping only that XP rescue hidden
      > partition. Is it possible?
      > I own a D600, and Dell gave me XP installation media, so probably i
      > really need not that rescue
      > hidden partition, which hogs almost 6 GB of my HD...
      > What do you think about this?

      Yes, that is your Dell utility/rescue partition. I kept that while
      reformatting everything else on my HD in order to have dual boot
      capability on my D600. I used Partition Magic to wipe clean and reformat
      everything BUT the Dell utility partition, creating a small ntfs primary
      partition and a much larger extended ext3 partition including a linux
      swap equal to my RAM. Then I first reinstalled XP and its drivers on the
      small primary partition, and finally Linux / and swap on the large
      extended partition, installing Grub on the master boot record. Here is
      the output from fdisk:

      Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
      255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
      Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

      Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/hda1 1 7 56196 de Dell Utility
      /dev/hda2 * 8 1027 8193150 7 HPFS/NTFS
      /dev/hda3 1028 7296 50355742+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
      /dev/hda5 1028 7231 49833598+ 83 Linux
      /dev/hda6 7232 7296 522081 82 Linux swap

      Best regards,
      CB