[Fwd: LINUX on Inspiron 510m?]

  • Peter Martinez
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2005
      Apologies if this is a repeat, but I haven't seen this come back to me
      yet....

      Hello the group:

      I just bought a new Dell Inspiron 510m and am trying to figure out the
      best way to put LINUX on it. My only experience with LINUX previously
      was a few years ago with Red Hat 6.2 which was left on a hand-me-down PC
      I was given, and an unsuccessfull attempt to install RH 7.2 on the same
      machine (it didn't have enough RAM).

      I asked Dell if they have any guidance for those wishing to install
      LINUX. They hadn't!

      The 510m has a 60GB HDD, most of which is a 53GB NTFS partition with Win
      XP installed. There seems to be a small FAT16 down at the bottom which I
      believe is a bootable MSDOS diagnostic utility, and a 2.7GB partition
      right at the end, which may perhaps be a rescue utility that can be
      booted from a hot-key in the BIOS. Does anyone know this for sure?

      Dell never sent me the original Win XP CDs, saying that I can generate a
      backup CD myself using the installed feature, but that feature doesn't
      actually work and even if it did, it can apparently only be run once
      then self-destructs. This means I don't have a way to fall back from any
      failed attempt to downsize the NTFS partition, and I am therefore very
      reluctant to go down that path. You can guess that the plan is to
      dual-boot between Win XP and LINUX.

      One idea that occurred to me is simply to buy an external USB hard-drive
      and install LINUX on that. I have verified that it will boot into a
      floppy plugged into the USB, but I don't know if that means that the
      BIOS can recognise an HDD in the USB port and boot up into that.

      Can anyone give me some ideas please?

      To give you some idea of my background so you can estimate my level of
      skill, I am age 60, a retired electronics engineer. I built my first
      computer back in 1975 starting from a sack of chips, writing the
      operating system for it in the process. I currently do quite a bit of
      high-level-language programming (my favourite is Delphi), but none of it
      in LINUX, but I hope to rectify that soon.

      Peter