Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Can't boot to DVD ROM

  • David Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
      Sir, please ;)

      I mean to read from the DVD-drive, not from a real DVD. I
      installed from a CDROM that booted in the DVD drive. Sorry for
      the misunderstanding.

      David

    • foxcrap@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
        I did change the settings in the BIOS, but the DVD spins briefly
        and then just quits and goes to the Hard Drive. This same CD will
        boot on every other computer that i use, just not my laptop.

        Aaron

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., David Rodriguez <dibeas@i...> wrote:
        > In the original BIOS you can order the HD/DVD/floppy to boot in any
        > order. It worked on my machine (booted linux debian 2.2r2). Try
        > booting directly from the DVD.
        >
        > You will probably not get everything working the first time, but
        once
        > you install the basics, you can start linux and play with it.
        >

        > On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 07:40:41AM -0000, foxcrap@h... wrote:
        > > I tried using a boot disk for both the CD and the PCMCIA, but i
        > > can't seem to find a module that will start up the DVD drive. I
        also
        > > even tried downlaoding the files from an FTP site to install but
        it
        > > took way to long and had errors.
        > > Dell 5000e
        > > PIII 700
        > > Toshiba 8x DVD/CD ROM
        > > Lynksys PCM100 ethernet card
        > > 10 Gig HD
        > > Rage Mobility 128 (16MB)

      • David Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
          I don't know, maybe the drive is not working as it should.
          Can you read the CD in the laptop (not booting)?

          David