Linux on Dell Inspiron 1100

  • Vincent Hide
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2005
      Hi There,

      I am running Redhat 9 on my Dell inspiron 1100 and am having trouble with
      the modem! I have read the great article at
      http://www.geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/ and followed the
      instructions but to no avail.

      This is the output of lspci -v for the modem:

      00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801DB AC'97 Modem (rev 02) (prog-if 00
      [Generic])
      > Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4d64
      > Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
      > I/O ports at c400 [size=256]
      > I/O ports at c080 [size=128]
      > Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

      I ascertained from this that I should download pctel-0.9.7-9.tar, I did this
      and followed the instructions at
      http://www.geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/.

      I ran the configure script as directed, but the output was different....

      ./configure --with-hal-i8xx
      use -auto to try to guess your modem and install it automatically
      use -manual to only generate the makefile

      From this I assumed that I should do this:

      ./configure -manual --with-hal-i8xx
      checking for running kernel version...2.4.20
      checking for ptserial...ptserial-2.4.7.c
      checking for gcc...3.2.2
      searching for kernel includes...found at /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/include/
      checking for
      modversions.h.../usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/include//linux/modversions.h
      checking for kernel_version...UTS_RELEASE is 2.4.20-8

      please enter your hal type
      choose one of: pct789, cm8738, i8xx, sis, via686a
      hal type:

      At the above prompt I entered: i8xx and was returned to the prompt with no
      output.

      I then changed line 312 of /src/ptserial/ptserial-2.4.7.c from
      #define PCI_DEVICE_ID_I845 0x2486

      #define PCI_DEVICE_ID_I845 0x24c6

      I then did 'make' and 'make install' and received no errors.

      [root@localhost src]# insmod -f pctel
      Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/pctel.o
      insmod: a module named pctel already exists
      [root@localhost src]# insmod -f ptserial
      Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/ptserial.o
      insmod: a module named ptserial already exists

      ok, so it appears I have made a problem here by running something more
      than once. Anyhow I probed for a modem and no modem has subsequently been
      found....

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Vince
    • Haedn Thorn
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2005
        --- Vincent Hide <chipperstuff@...> wrote:

        > I am running Redhat 9 on my Dell inspiron 1100 and
        > am having trouble with
        > the modem! I have read the great article at
        > http://www.geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/
        > and followed the
        > instructions but to no avail.

        I had some luck with the 'sl' drivers on my 600m
        w/broadcom modem. ... I posted a link on this list
        within the last week. Check the archives and see if
        that gets you headed in the right direction.
      • smbawhisky
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2005
          On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 13:37 +0000, Vincent Hide wrote:
          > Hi There,
          >
          > I am running Redhat 9 on my Dell inspiron 1100 and am having trouble
          > with
          > the modem! I have read the great article at
          > http://www.geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/ and followed the
          > instructions but to no avail.
          >
          > This is the output of lspci -v for the modem:
          >
          > 00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801DB AC'97 Modem (rev 02) (prog-if 00
          > [Generic])
          > > Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4d64
          > > Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
          > > I/O ports at c400 [size=256]
          > > I/O ports at c080 [size=128]
          > > Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

          A while ago (9-12 months) I tried to get this modem going, I have the
          same lspci -v output. I tried the pctel driver (and the modification...)
          like what was posted without succeeding. This should not necessarily
          stop you from trying though.

          I do however have concerns over whether it is actually possible as I am
          not sure that there has actually been anyone who has made it work. I
          have a feeling that the original post talking about this modem working
          with the pctel driver was just a possible solution not an actual
          solution, a similar solution worked for a different broadcom modem and
          that the original post was talking about the possibility of a similar
          answer for our modem.

          I could of course be wrong, in fact I would quite like to be wrong. Only
          time is lost trying to get the modem working.

          Smba.
        • L.V.Gandhi
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28, 2005
            On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:37:16 -0000, Vincent Hide
            <chipperstuff@...> wrote:

            > Hi There,
            >
            > I am running Redhat 9 on my Dell inspiron 1100 and am having trouble with
            > the modem! I have read the great article at
            > http://www.geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/ and followed the
            > instructions but to no avail.
            >
            > This is the output of lspci -v for the modem:
            >
            > 00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801DB AC'97 Modem (rev 02) (prog-if 00
            > [Generic])
            > > Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4d64
            > > Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
            > > I/O ports at c400 [size=256]
            > > I/O ports at c080 [size=128]
            > > Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
            >
            > I ascertained from this that I should download pctel-0.9.7-9.tar, I did this
            > and followed the instructions at
            > http://www.geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/.
            >
            > I ran the configure script as directed, but the output was different....
            >
            > ./configure --with-hal-i8xx
            > use -auto to try to guess your modem and install it automatically
            > use -manual to only generate the makefile
            >
            > From this I assumed that I should do this:
            >
            > ./configure -manual --with-hal-i8xx
            > checking for running kernel version...2.4.20
            > checking for ptserial...ptserial-2.4.7.c
            > checking for gcc...3.2.2
            > searching for kernel includes...found at /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/include/
            > checking for
            > modversions.h.../usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/include//linux/modversions.h
            > checking for kernel_version...UTS_RELEASE is 2.4.20-8
            >
            > please enter your hal type
            > choose one of: pct789, cm8738, i8xx, sis, via686a
            > hal type:
            >
            > At the above prompt I entered: i8xx and was returned to the prompt with no
            > output.
            >
            > I then changed line 312 of /src/ptserial/ptserial-2.4.7.c from
            > #define PCI_DEVICE_ID_I845 0x2486
            >
            > #define PCI_DEVICE_ID_I845 0x24c6
            >
            > I then did 'make' and 'make install' and received no errors.
            >
            > [root@localhost src]# insmod -f pctel
            > Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/pctel.o
            > insmod: a module named pctel already exists
            > [root@localhost src]# insmod -f ptserial
            > Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/ptserial.o
            > insmod: a module named ptserial already exists
            >
            > ok, so it appears I have made a problem here by running something more
            > than once. Anyhow I probed for a modem and no modem has subsequently been
            > found....
            >
            > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
            As you can see the subsystem is broadcom not pctel. even in same
            i1150, chips are different like that in i600m. sl-modem-alsa is
            supposed to work. I am yet to be sucessful with that modem.

            --
            L.V.Gandhi
            http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/