Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Can't boot to DVD ROM

  • bilbo
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
      On 4 Feb 2001, at 13:01, stuart@... wrote:

      > Dear Sir or Madam:
      >
      > I was not aware that any of the distributions of Linux were now
      > available on DVD, is that true? Is RH available on DVD?

      I don't think Red Hat is on DVD yet but SuSE has had a DVD
      version for the last few releases and the new vesion (7.1) comes
      with the 2.4 kernel.
      Unfortunately when I tried installing SuSE 7.0 I couldn't get X to
      work, that hacks for RH 7.0 don't work as Sax2 can't fiind a server
      for the ATI card, but if you want CLI it can be made to work. I ought
      to try finding the differences between RH and SuSE and using the
      server from RH in SuSE, but I'm not that expert in Linux yet.

      regards,
      Bill
    • David Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
        Sir, please ;)

        I mean to read from the DVD-drive, not from a real DVD. I
        installed from a CDROM that booted in the DVD drive. Sorry for
        the misunderstanding.

        David

      • foxcrap@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
          I did change the settings in the BIOS, but the DVD spins briefly
          and then just quits and goes to the Hard Drive. This same CD will
          boot on every other computer that i use, just not my laptop.

          Aaron

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., David Rodriguez <dibeas@i...> wrote:
          > In the original BIOS you can order the HD/DVD/floppy to boot in any
          > order. It worked on my machine (booted linux debian 2.2r2). Try
          > booting directly from the DVD.
          >
          > You will probably not get everything working the first time, but
          once
          > you install the basics, you can start linux and play with it.
          >

          > On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 07:40:41AM -0000, foxcrap@h... wrote:
          > > I tried using a boot disk for both the CD and the PCMCIA, but i
          > > can't seem to find a module that will start up the DVD drive. I
          also
          > > even tried downlaoding the files from an FTP site to install but
          it
          > > took way to long and had errors.
          > > Dell 5000e
          > > PIII 700
          > > Toshiba 8x DVD/CD ROM
          > > Lynksys PCM100 ethernet card
          > > 10 Gig HD
          > > Rage Mobility 128 (16MB)

        • David Rodriguez
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
            I don't know, maybe the drive is not working as it should.
            Can you read the CD in the laptop (not booting)?

            David