Twitchy Touchpad on a D600?

  • Stone Mirror
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 26, 2005
      I'm running SuSE Linux on a Dell D600 with the default mouse driver.
      I've noticed a couple of things: sometimes, the cursor goes nuts--no
      clear idea why or the specific circumstances that cause it--but it's
      as though the touchpad and the joystick have started generated random
      or mis-smoothed data, and the cursor jumps all over the place.

      Also, support for "tapping" on the touchpad seems to be mostly not
      there, but every once in a while, the system will respond to pressure
      on the pad in an unpredictable way.

      Does anyone know of a better driver for the touchpad on this system?
    • Jim Diamond
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 26, 2005
        On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 13:42 (-0800), Stone Mirror wrote:

        > I'm running SuSE Linux
        So far so good, I guess.
        > on a Dell D600 with the default mouse driver.
        My condolences. I ranted about this issue a few weeks ago on this list,
        but that had no real effect :-(

        > I've noticed a couple of things: sometimes, the cursor goes nuts--no
        > clear idea why or the specific circumstances that cause it--but it's
        > as though the touchpad and the joystick have started generated random
        > or mis-smoothed data, and the cursor jumps all over the place.
        >
        > Also, support for "tapping" on the touchpad seems to be mostly not
        > there, but every once in a while, the system will respond to pressure
        > on the pad in an unpredictable way.
        >
        > Does anyone know of a better driver for the touchpad on this system?
        I am using the synaptics-0.14.0 driver, which gives a different set of
        frustrations than the default driver. Nominally it is far more
        customizable, but its support for the Most Evil Alps Glidepoint does not
        seem to be as good as for a Synaptics touchpad. I am using it now because
        it is less frustrating than the default driver, but no where near perfect.
        If I keep this laptop much longer I think I'll see if I can hack the driver
        to turn off all the annoying features (and keep them turned off); supposedly
        you can do this with the tunable parameters, but the features come and go,
        possible related to me shutting the lid and putting it into standby mode,
        and then the subsequent awakening.

        I have a Synaptics in another Dell laptop and it works perfectly. Have I
        mentioned that I think the Alps is a piece of crap?

        Jim
      • Michelle L. Gill
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 27, 2005
          You may already know this (my apologies if you do), but there is a
          kernel patch for the ALPS drivers mentioned on the third line from
          the bottom at http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/. It is
          reportedly used to fix double clicking issue. I just have a plain
          old synaptics in my Dell Inspiron 4150 (running SuSE 9.2), so I
          can't say for sure if it works or not.

          For what its worth, even my synaptics pad spazzes out sometimes and
          causes the cursor to jump (usually in the process selecting a small
          bit of text I have just typed and deleting it...grrr). I use the
          touchpad so rarely that I've considered writing a script to turn it
          on and off...although it hasn't pissed me off enough yet to actually
          go and do so.

          Good luck,
          Michelle

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Jim Diamond <zsd@a...>

        • Jim Diamond
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 28, 2005
            On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 13:57 (-0000), Michelle L. Gill wrote:

            > You may already know this (my apologies if you do), but there is a
            > kernel patch for the ALPS drivers mentioned on the third line from
            > the bottom at http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/.
            As it turns out, the text you are referring to is included in the synaptics
            source code. I haven't tried it out, since I was more interested in
            eliminating taps entirely, since I was having problems with spurious mouse
            clicks.

            > It is
            > reportedly used to fix double clicking issue. I just have a plain
            > old synaptics in my Dell Inspiron 4150 (running SuSE 9.2), so I
            > can't say for sure if it works or not.
            >
            > For what its worth, even my synaptics pad spazzes out sometimes and
            > causes the cursor to jump (usually in the process selecting a small
            > bit of text I have just typed and deleting it...grrr). I use the
            > touchpad so rarely that I've considered writing a script to turn it
            > on and off...although it hasn't pissed me off enough yet to actually
            > go and do so.
            That's interesting that your synaptics pad does that. Maybe you have a
            different model than I do. Or maybe your software (X windows version?
            Linux kernel version?) is the problem.

            Jim
          • theuteck@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 28, 2005
              The touchpad on my D600 also spazzes out. It even does it when I boot
              into XP, so it is not just a X config issue. I guess it is just a
              buggy pad, I should use my service plan on it. :-\

              On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:22:41 -0400, Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:

              > On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 13:57 (-0000), Michelle L. Gill wrote:
              >
              > > You may already know this (my apologies if you do), but there is a
              > > kernel patch for the ALPS drivers mentioned on the third line from
              > > the bottom at http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/.
              > As it turns out, the text you are referring to is included in the synaptics
              > source code. I haven't tried it out, since I was more interested in
              > eliminating taps entirely, since I was having problems with spurious mouse
              > clicks.
              >
              > > It is
              > > reportedly used to fix double clicking issue. I just have a plain
              > > old synaptics in my Dell Inspiron 4150 (running SuSE 9.2), so I
              > > can't say for sure if it works or not.
              > >
              > > For what its worth, even my synaptics pad spazzes out sometimes and
              > > causes the cursor to jump (usually in the process selecting a small
              > > bit of text I have just typed and deleting it...grrr). I use the
              > > touchpad so rarely that I've considered writing a script to turn it
              > > on and off...although it hasn't pissed me off enough yet to actually
              > > go and do so.
              > That's interesting that your synaptics pad does that. Maybe you have a
              > different model than I do. Or maybe your software (X windows version?
              > Linux kernel version?) is the problem.
              >
              > Jim

              no .sig found
              Please restart your browser.
            • Michelle L. Gill
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
                Hi Jim,

                Unfortunately, my touchpad is funky in Windows, also. Given this, I
                doubt that it's my linux kernel (2.6.8) or X windows version
                (X11.org 6.8.1).

                wrote:
                > On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 13:57 (-0000), Michelle L. Gill wrote:
                >
                > > You may already know this (my apologies if you do), but there is
                > > kernel patch for the ALPS drivers mentioned on the third line
                from
                > > the bottom at http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/.
                > As it turns out, the text you are referring to is included in the
                synaptics
                > source code. I haven't tried it out, since I was more interested
                in
                > eliminating taps entirely, since I was having problems with
                spurious mouse
                > clicks.
                >
                > > It is
                > > reportedly used to fix double clicking issue. I just have a
                plain
                > > old synaptics in my Dell Inspiron 4150 (running SuSE 9.2), so I
                > > can't say for sure if it works or not.
                > >
                > > For what its worth, even my synaptics pad spazzes out sometimes
                and
                > > causes the cursor to jump (usually in the process selecting a
                small
                > > bit of text I have just typed and deleting it...grrr). I use
                the
                > > touchpad so rarely that I've considered writing a script to turn
                it
                > > on and off...although it hasn't pissed me off enough yet to
                actually
                > > go and do so.
                > That's interesting that your synaptics pad does that. Maybe you
                have a
                > different model than I do. Or maybe your software (X windows
                version?
                > Linux kernel version?) is the problem.
                >
                > Jim
              • Stone Mirror
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
                  <theuteck@...> writes

                  > The touchpad on my D600 also spazzes out. It even does it when I boot
                  > into XP, so it is not just a X config issue. I guess it is just a
                  > buggy pad, I should use my service plan on it. :-\

                  I heard a similar report from someone at my office. I've personally
                  never seen the problem under XP, but it only happens sporadically
                  (happily) under Linux, so who knows...?

                  --
                  鏡石