Newb to Linux and an 8600

  • Ryan Radio
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 16, 2005
      Hello all,

      I am a linux newb (Please be easy on me). I have Fedora 3 on my
      I8600 w/ Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG. I am trying to set up the
      wireless card and am having a lot of problems- basically due to me
      ignorance. Do I need to have a kernel configured for wireless
      capabilities and how do I check if my kernel has it enabled? Do I
      need to use ndiswrapper to set up the wireless card or can I do it
      using drivers in Fedora? I am having a lot of trouble finding any
      detailed instructions on how to set up the wireless card and what
      exactly I need to do (especially in terms I can understand). Has
      anyone here had any success in this endevour? Especially any (very)
      specific advice or resources to help me conquer my newb-ness would
      be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks a lot for any help anyone can offer.
      Cheers,
      Ryan
    • Haedn Thorn
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 16, 2005
        --- Ryan Radio <celticryannorman@...> wrote:

        > I am a linux newb (Please be easy on me). I have
        > Fedora 3 on my
        > I8600 w/ Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG. I am trying to
        > set up the
        > wireless card and am having a lot of problems-
        > basically due to me
        > ignorance. Do I need to have a kernel configured
        > for wireless
        > capabilities and how do I check if my kernel has it
        > enabled? Do I
        > need to use ndiswrapper to set up the wireless card
        > or can I do it
        > using drivers in Fedora? I am having a lot of
        > trouble finding any
        > detailed instructions on how to set up the wireless
        > card and what
        > exactly I need to do (especially in terms I can
        > understand). Has
        > anyone here had any success in this endevour?
        > Especially any (very)
        > specific advice or resources to help me conquer my
        > newb-ness would
        > be greatly appreciated.

        http://ipw2200.sf.net has native linux drivers and
        some hints to get you going. You DO need to have
        wireless enabled in your kernel. I would guess that
        the Fedora's stock kernel should have this enabled,
        but you should be able to find the config file and
        look for it in there. You'll want to see a line that
        says:

        CONFIG_NET_RADIO=y

        ... Other than that, make sure your wireless tools are
        updated as per the recommendations on SourceForge (the
        link above) and that you have the appropriate firmware
        in the correct directory (again, sf.net has this info)
        ... As far as configuration scripts, I assume Fedora
        has some sort of utility to make this part easy. The
        scripts that came with Slackware work great for me.
      • Philip Trickett
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 17, 2005
          On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 18:21 -0800, Haedn Thorn wrote:

          Snip
          > http://ipw2200.sf.net has native linux drivers and
          > some hints to get you going. You DO need to have
          > wireless enabled in your kernel. I would guess that
          > the Fedora's stock kernel should have this enabled,
          > but you should be able to find the config file and
          > look for it in there. You'll want to see a line that
          > says:
          >
          > CONFIG_NET_RADIO=y
          >
          > ... Other than that, make sure your wireless tools are
          > updated as per the recommendations on SourceForge (the
          > link above) and that you have the appropriate firmware
          > in the correct directory (again, sf.net has this info)
          > ... As far as configuration scripts, I assume Fedora
          > has some sort of utility to make this part easy. The
          > scripts that came with Slackware work great for me.

          When you have set up the wireless card, you might want to enable
          NetworkManager, this helps with wireless networking, and will
          automatically switch between wired and wireless networking.

          To do this:

          login as root (or you can use sudo for this if you have configured it)

          execute the following command:

          /sbin/chkconfig --level 35 NetworkManager on

          /sbin/service NetworkManager start

          then you can just execute the following command in a gnome terminal:
          NetworkManagerInfo &

          just save your session when you log out of gnome.

          Next time you log in, the NetworkManager icon will appear in your
          notification area. Click on it to see the options.

          HTH,

          Phil
        • Ryan Radio
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 17, 2005
            Thanks for the help. What config file would that be? And where
            might I find it. I am a serious newb. I followed the sourceforge
            stuff and did everything it said (I think) and the iwconfig doesn't
            do anything. So I am assuming that I did something wrong. Also,
            when I boot now, the screen gets all wavy and blurry when it is
            checking the eth0 stuff, it then comes back to normal and everything
            is fine.
            Once again thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it and I
            know this takes time out of the day for people to respond and I want
            to say thank you for that.
            Cheers,
            Ryan

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 17, 2005
              --- Ryan Radio <celticryannorman@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the help. What config file would that
              > be? And where
              > might I find it. I am a serious newb. I followed
              > the sourceforge
              > stuff and did everything it said (I think) and the
              > iwconfig doesn't
              > do anything. So I am assuming that I did something
              > wrong. Also,
              > when I boot now, the screen gets all wavy and blurry
              > when it is
              > checking the eth0 stuff, it then comes back to
              > normal and everything
              > is fine.
              > Once again thanks a lot for the help, I really
              > appreciate it and I
              > know this takes time out of the day for people to
              > respond and I want
              > to say thank you for that.

              I'm unfamiliar with Fedora's specifics, but under
              Slackware there is '/etc/rc.d/rc.wireless.conf' and
              there are tie-ins to 'rc.inet1' and 'rc.wireless' in
              the same directory... Someone else posted a command to
              run under Fedora. If you missed it, you should check
              the archives for this group.

              The wavy screen bit sounds VERY odd. Possibly
              interference from the wireless card? But it shouldn't
              cause any visible deflection ... You might have a
              faulty piece of hardware. ... 'ifconfig' should
              display the adaptors you have set up. 'iwconfig'
              should list what wireless capabilities each adaptor
              has. If 'iwconfig' isn't listing anything, I would
              assume that 'ifconfig' shouldn't be either. In that
              case, either your driver is not installing properly,
              or your start up scripts are not getting the job done.
              You should be able to check for "ipw2200" in the
              output from 'lsmod' ... 'lsmod | grep ipw2200' should
              simplify the output if you have a lot of modules
              loaded. Also, you can check 'dmesg | less' to see the
              messages from your modules as your system starts up.
            • Ryan
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 31, 2005
                Ok after all the wierd problems I had, I reinstalled FC3 and have am
                still trying to get the wireless set up. First i put the firmware
                files into the file /lib/firmware
                I then went to the folder with the driver and ran make. It spit this
                at me:

                /bin/sh: cc: command not found
                make -C /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build
                SUBDIRS=/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0
                MODVERDIR=/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0 modules
                /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 11: gcc:
                command not found
                /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 12: gcc:
                command not found
                make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build'
                CC [M] /root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0/ipw2200.o
                /bin/sh: gcc: command not found
                make[2]: *** [/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0/ipw2200.o] Error 127
                make[1]: *** [_module_/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0] Error 2
                make[1]: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build'
                make: *** [modules] Error 2

                I have no idea what it means and the error tells even me something
                didn't work. Is something not installed that I need? Thanks for the
                help, I really need it and appreciate it.
                Cheers,
                Ryan

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Philip Trickett
                <phil-ml@t...> wrote:
                > On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 18:21 -0800, Haedn Thorn wrote:
                > >
                > Snip
                > > http://ipw2200.sf.net has native linux drivers and
                > > some hints to get you going. You DO need to have
                > > wireless enabled in your kernel. I would guess that
                > > the Fedora's stock kernel should have this enabled,
                > > but you should be able to find the config file and
                > > look for it in there. You'll want to see a line that
                > > says:
                > >
                > > CONFIG_NET_RADIO=y
                > >
                > > ... Other than that, make sure your wireless tools are
                > > updated as per the recommendations on SourceForge (the
                > > link above) and that you have the appropriate firmware
                > > in the correct directory (again, sf.net has this info)
                > > ... As far as configuration scripts, I assume Fedora
                > > has some sort of utility to make this part easy. The
                > > scripts that came with Slackware work great for me.
                >
                > When you have set up the wireless card, you might want to enable
                > NetworkManager, this helps with wireless networking, and will
                > automatically switch between wired and wireless networking.
                >
                > To do this:
                >
                > login as root (or you can use sudo for this if you have configured it)
                >
                > execute the following command:
                >
                > /sbin/chkconfig --level 35 NetworkManager on
                >
                > /sbin/service NetworkManager start
                >
                > then you can just execute the following command in a gnome terminal:
                > NetworkManagerInfo &
                >
                > just save your session when you log out of gnome.
                >
                > Next time you log in, the NetworkManager icon will appear in your
                > notification area. Click on it to see the options.
                >
                > HTH,
                >
                > Phil
              • ken
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 31, 2005
                  Ryan wrote:

                  >Ok after all the wierd problems I had, I reinstalled FC3 and have am
                  >still trying to get the wireless set up. First i put the firmware
                  >files into the file /lib/firmware
                  >I then went to the folder with the driver and ran make. It spit this
                  >at me:
                  >
                  >/bin/sh: cc: command not found
                  >make -C /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build
                  >SUBDIRS=/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0
                  >MODVERDIR=/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0 modules
                  >/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 11: gcc:
                  >command not found
                  >/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 12: gcc:
                  >command not found
                  >make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build'
                  > CC [M] /root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0/ipw2200.o
                  >/bin/sh: gcc: command not found
                  >make[2]: *** [/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0/ipw2200.o] Error 127
                  >make[1]: *** [_module_/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0] Error 2
                  >make[1]: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build'
                  >make: *** [modules] Error 2
                  >
                  >I have no idea what it means and the error tells even me something
                  >didn't work. Is something not installed that I need? Thanks for the
                  >help, I really need it and appreciate it.
                  >Cheers,
                  >Ryan
                  >

                  >[....]

                  You need to install gcc. So go to redhat's site, find it, download and
                  install it. Then try again.

                  hth,
                  ken

                  do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
                  -- Bradford Angier
                • Ryan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 31, 2005
                    Sending this message from at home over the wireless connection!
                    Thanks a ton for the help!
                    Cheers,
                    Ryan

                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
                    > Ryan wrote:
                    >
                    > >Ok after all the wierd problems I had, I reinstalled FC3 and have am
                    > >still trying to get the wireless set up. First i put the firmware
                    > >files into the file /lib/firmware
                    > >I then went to the folder with the driver and ran make. It spit this
                    > >at me:
                    > >
                    > >/bin/sh: cc: command not found
                    > >make -C /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build
                    > >SUBDIRS=/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0
                    > >MODVERDIR=/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0 modules
                    > >/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 11: gcc:
                    > >command not found
                    > >/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 12: gcc:
                    > >command not found
                    > >make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build'
                    > > CC [M] /root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0/ipw2200.o
                    > >/bin/sh: gcc: command not found
                    > >make[2]: *** [/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0/ipw2200.o] Error 127
                    > >make[1]: *** [_module_/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0] Error 2
                    > >make[1]: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build'
                    > >make: *** [modules] Error 2
                    > >
                    > >I have no idea what it means and the error tells even me something
                    > >didn't work. Is something not installed that I need? Thanks for the
                    > >help, I really need it and appreciate it.
                    > >Cheers,
                    > >Ryan
                    > >

                    > >[....]
                    > >

                    > You need to install gcc. So go to redhat's site, find it, download and
                    > install it. Then try again.
                    >
                    > hth,
                    > ken
                    >
                    > --
                    > A lot of us are working harder than we want, at things we don't like to
                    > do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care
                    to live.
                    > -- Bradford Angier
                  • Haedn Thorn
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 31, 2005
                      --- Ryan <celticryannorman@...> wrote:

                      > Ok after all the wierd problems I had, I reinstalled
                      > FC3 and have am
                      > still trying to get the wireless set up. First i
                      > put the firmware
                      > files into the file /lib/firmware
                      > I then went to the folder with the driver and ran
                      > make. It spit this
                      > at me:
                      >
                      > /bin/sh: cc: command not found
                      > make -C /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build
                      > SUBDIRS=/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0
                      > MODVERDIR=/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0 modules

                      /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/scripts/gcc-version.sh:
                      > line 11: gcc:
                      > command not found

                      /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/scripts/gcc-version.sh:
                      > line 12: gcc:
                      > command not found
                      > make[1]: Entering directory
                      > `/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build'
                      > CC [M] /root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0/ipw2200.o
                      > /bin/sh: gcc: command not found
                      > make[2]: *** [/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0/ipw2200.o]
                      > Error 127
                      > make[1]: *** [_module_/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0]
                      > Error 2
                      > make[1]: Leaving directory
                      > `/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build'
                      > make: *** [modules] Error 2

                      You need to install the gcc package! I don't know what
                      exactly it's called under FC3, but it should start
                      with "gcc" ... You cannot compile much of anything
                      without it.
                    • Marvin R. Pierce
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 31, 2005
                        Haedn,
                        I've just got a similar machine to yours.
                        Inspiron 9300, M760, 2.0 Ghz, 2MB cache, 533MHz FSB, 100Gb HD, 17"
                        UltraSharp Wide Sceen XGA, ATI Mobility Radeo X300 128Mb Graphics,
                        Integrated 10/100 Broadcom Nic, Intel PR0/Wireless 2915ABG, NEC DVD+-RW
                        ND-6500A, SigmaTel C-Major Audio.

                        I use Libranet 2.8.1 which is Debian Sarge.
                        First off, everything on this machine works under Linux but you have to
                        compile a kernel for it (I'm using 2.6.10). With a 2.6.x kernel you need to
                        upgrade all the associated packages, e2fsprog, reiserfsprog, modutils,
                        wireless-tools, initscripts, gcc, libc6 and other programs otherwise modules
                        will not install correctly.

                        Sound works using ALSA and the intel i8x0 driver (I might be wrong on the
                        name but it is definitely the alsa intel driver).
                        Wireless takes about 10 minutes to get working using the Intel open source
                        2200 driver. You have to compile the kernel and install it, reboot so that
                        it installs its modules and then do the make & make install for the driver.
                        Everything you rebuild a kernel, you must reinstall the wireless driver. The
                        wireless card will be identified as eth2 on your system and the broadcom
                        will be eth1.

                        If you have a nvidia card, you will need to get the nvidia package.

                        This thing runs at the speed of light. Don't delete the hidden partition on
                        your hard drive.
                        With an 80Gb HD, I suggest you dual boot and shrink the XP partition to
                        3-5Gb.
                        I've set my HD up with 20Gb for XP Pro, 40Gb for data and the remainder for
                        Linux and home. The Dell hidden partition is primary and is hda1. I've
                        forgotten the size of it but it is not that big. XP is hda2.

                        The machine is so fast that it will compile a kernel in about 10-12 minutes
                        from scratch. If you need a kernel config file, let me know.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 31, 2005
                          --- "Marvin R. Pierce" <mpierce@...> wrote:

                          > Haedn,
                          > I've just got a similar machine to yours.
                          > Inspiron 9300, M760, 2.0 Ghz, 2MB cache, 533MHz FSB,
                          > 100Gb HD, 17"
                          > UltraSharp Wide Sceen XGA, ATI Mobility Radeo X300
                          > 128Mb Graphics,
                          > Integrated 10/100 Broadcom Nic, Intel PR0/Wireless
                          > 2915ABG, NEC DVD+-RW
                          > ND-6500A, SigmaTel C-Major Audio.

                          I think you've mistaken my answerring a question for
                          someone elses request :P ... Mine is a 600m, 725
                          (1.6GHz), yada-yada ... And Slackware 10.0 and up
                          comes prebuilt to work with 2.6.x, I didn't have to
                          install anything extra but the newer kernel, ATI
                          drivers, and ipw2200 driver. ALSA works with the
                          recompile...

                          And not to be an jerk, but 10-12 minutes doesn't seem
                          very fast ... I mean, I haven't actually timed a
                          compile since 2.4.something on my dual-Xeon (90
                          seconds is fast ;) ... but it doesn't seem like it
                          takes that long ... I'd say 15 minutes including
                          config time and rebooting into XP to keep my dual-boot
                          happy. ...
                        • Ryan
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 2, 2005
                            well...
                            now when I restart linux, my wireless card is not detected. I
                            actually sent that last message from a wireless connection, so what
                            is going on? When linux(FC3) is booting an error comes up saying
                            the hardware associated with ipw2200 is not detected, delaying
                            something...

                            Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Why did it work and now it
                            doesn't? Do I need to do something during boot up so that it
                            detects?
                            Thanks,
                            Ryann

                            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan"
                            <celticryannorman@y...> wrote:

                            > Sending this message from at home over the wireless connection!
                            > Thanks a ton for the help!
                            > Cheers,
                            > Ryan
                            >

                            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
                            > > Ryan wrote:
                            > >
                            > > >Ok after all the wierd problems I had, I reinstalled FC3 and
                            have am
                            > > >still trying to get the wireless set up. First i put the
                            firmware
                            > > >files into the file /lib/firmware
                            > > >I then went to the folder with the driver and ran make. It
                            spit this
                            > > >at me:
                            > > >
                            > > >/bin/sh: cc: command not found
                            > > >make -C /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build
                            > > >SUBDIRS=/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0
                            > > >MODVERDIR=/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0 modules
                            > > >/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 11:
                            gcc:
                            > > >command not found
                            > > >/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 12:
                            gcc:
                            > > >command not found
                            > > >make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build'
                            > > > CC [M] /root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0/ipw2200.o
                            > > >/bin/sh: gcc: command not found
                            > > >make[2]: *** [/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0/ipw2200.o] Error 127
                            > > >make[1]: *** [_module_/root/Desktop/ipw2200-1.0.0] Error 2
                            > > >make[1]: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/build'
                            > > >make: *** [modules] Error 2
                            > > >
                            > > >I have no idea what it means and the error tells even me
                            something
                            > > >didn't work. Is something not installed that I need? Thanks
                            for the
                            > > >help, I really need it and appreciate it.
                            > > >Cheers,
                            > > >Ryan
                            > > >

                            > > >[....]
                            > > >

                            > > You need to install gcc. So go to redhat's site, find it,
                            download and
                            > > install it. Then try again.
                            > >
                            > > hth,
                            > > ken
                            > >
                            > > --
                            > > A lot of us are working harder than we want, at things we don't
                            like to
                            > > do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't
                            care
                            > to live.
                            > > -- Bradford Angier
                          • Ryan
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 3, 2005
                              The temporary fix to this is to unload:
                              % . unload
                              Then reload the driver
                              % . load

                              For some reason there is an issue with the firmware and the driver
                              communicating.
                              Hope this helps someone else.
                              Cheers,
                              Ryan