Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Dell i8k - what linux distro?

  • Christoph Eckert
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 15, 2005
      > I have an Inspiron 8500 and I have tested:
      >
      > Debian (sarge & sid)
      > Mandrake (9.2, 10.0, 10.1 & cooker)
      > Arch Linux (0.6 & 0.7)
      > Ubuntu (Warty & Hoary)

      I've driven my i8200 with

      SuSE 9.0
      Mandrake 10
      Gentoo

      and all of them work(ed) great.

      Best regards

      ce
    • Daevid Vincent
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15, 2005
        I have used RedHat 8 and 9, but have switched to Gentoo on my Dell i8200.

        I don't know if the modem works, but i never use it anyways. wifi baby!

        FYI, I dual boot with XP pro.

        > I have an Inspiron 8500 and I have tested:
        >
        > Debian (sarge & sid)
        > Mandrake (9.2, 10.0, 10.1 & cooker)
        > Arch Linux (0.6 & 0.7)
        > Ubuntu (Warty & Hoary)

        I've driven my i8200 with

        SuSE 9.0
        Mandrake 10
        Gentoo

        and all of them work(ed) great.

        Best regards

            ce

      • Douglas S. Oliver
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15, 2005
          I think it's true that most recent distros are pretty goot at detecting hardware on Dells; just watch out for wireless problems. I've only used my i86k, but the native wireless cards need a little work to get them working. I decided to use Linuxant's non open source program to get my wireless system up. I currently use RedHat 9 on this laptop, but I prefer Slackware 10 on my Penguin tower. I just haven't yet put it on my i86k. Whatever you do, there are lots of folks around here to help out. --douglas
        • Jim Diamond
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 15, 2005
            On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 17:37 (-0000), iznot68 wrote:

            > Hello,

            > I'm considering moving from windows2k to linux on my old Dell i8k.
            > Question is what distribution would be a good choice for my hardware?
            > I don't have the specs with me but I was hoping someone would be
            > running linux on a i8k and could provide some input. I would like to
            > have the same functionality hardwarewise with linux as I do with
            > win2k. Any suggestions to get me started?

            I have a I8K and I run Slackware 10 on it. I've never tried the
            firewire or the IR, but everything else works fine.

            My I8K has a combo modem / ethernet card, both of which work fine

            08:04.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 08)
            08:08.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics WinModem 56k (rev 01)

            The modem driver doesn't come with Slackware, but is easily found on
            the internet. But different I8Ks had different modems, so YMMV.

            If you decide to install Slackware and need any config info just let
            me know.

            Jim