Re: [linux-dell-laptops] (Inspiron 1100) Internal and External Monitro Definitions

  • Damien Solley
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2005
      Hi Dustin C Hatch
      This laptop doesn't support multiple monitors simultaneously, as you
      have confirmed.
      Firstly, you can set up a range of display resolutions and switch
      between them from your desktop (eg in GNOME or KDE). This would be the
      simplest and most transparent option (no need to log out). The
      configuration is distribution dependent, but for Debian you use:
      "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86".
      Alternatively, you can start X with completely different XF86Config-4
      files for each situation.
      see
      man XFree86
      and read about switching config files described under:
      -xf86config
      I would reccommend the first option. And remember to switch monitors
      with Fn+F8 (with a simple refresh fix at:
      http://geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/#FAQ )
      Regards
      Damien