Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: ati HW Accel. on a i8500 with r9000m

  • Paul Gratz
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11, 2005
      Looking through my setup (been a while since I set it up) it looks like
      I am using the internal agp driver of the ati-driver. I have not
      selected the Direct rendering manager stuff in my kernel. I do load the
      fglrx module.

      Hope that helps,
      Paul

      On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 21:24 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:

      > so have did you get the ATI driver to work exactly? are you using
      > the "fglrx" module? are you using the internal or kernel agpgart? do
      > you have DRI disabled in the config and/or the kernel or neither?
      > sorry just seems like i've tried everything^^;
      >
      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Paul Gratz <pgratz@g...>
      > wrote:
      > > I have that machine and video card (I also run gentoo). I've
      > gotten both
      > > the DRI and ATI drivers working at different times. I found that
      > the
      > > ATI drivers were better performing so I'm currently using them.
      > I'm on
      > > ati-drivers-3.14.6 of the ati drivers and
      > x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4
      > > right now. I'm using 2.6.9-gentoo-r6 of the kernel right now.
      > > Paul
      > >

      > > On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:
      > > >
      > > > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't
      > find
      > > > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
      > > > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
      > > > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers
      > and
      > > > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

      > > --
      > > Paul Gratz <pgratz@g...>

      Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
    • Paul Gratz
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 14, 2005
        I just wanted to update you. It looks like I was wrong when I sent you
        the info before, gentoo had upgraded my xorg when I "emerge world"ed
        since the last time I had run an open gl program. The setup I told you
        about won't work, in order to get working 3d again I had to update to
        the latest ati-drivers. I've also attached my xorg.conf for working 3d.
        Here are the versions I'm using then:

        * media-video/ati-drivers
        Latest version available: 8.8.25
        Latest version installed: 8.8.25
        Size of downloaded files: 3,656 kB
        Homepage: http://www.ati.com
        chipsets
        License: ATI

        and

        * x11-base/xorg-x11
        Latest version available: 6.8.0-r4
        Latest version installed: 6.8.0-r4
        Size of downloaded files: 72,273 kB
        Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
        Foundation
        License: Adobe-X CID DEC DEC-2 IBM-X NVIDIA-X NetBSD SGI
        UCB-LBL XC-2 bigelow-holmes-urw-gmbh-luxi christopher-g-demetriou
        national-semiconductor nokia tektronix the-open-group todd-c-miller
        x-truetype xfree86-1.0 MIT SGI-B BSD || ( FTL GPL-2 )

        On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:

        > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't find
        > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
        > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
        > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers and
        > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

        Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
      • Paul Gratz
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 14, 2005
          Doh, forgot to make attachment, here is my xorg file.
          Paul

          On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 09:56 -0600, Paul Gratz wrote:
          > I just wanted to update you. It looks like I was wrong when I sent you
          > the info before, gentoo had upgraded my xorg when I "emerge world"ed
          > since the last time I had run an open gl program. The setup I told you
          > about won't work, in order to get working 3d again I had to update to
          > the latest ati-drivers. I've also attached my xorg.conf for working 3d.
          > Here are the versions I'm using then:
          >
          > * media-video/ati-drivers
          > Latest version available: 8.8.25
          > Latest version installed: 8.8.25
          > Size of downloaded files: 3,656 kB
          > Homepage: http://www.ati.com
          > chipsets
          > License: ATI
          >
          > and
          >
          > * x11-base/xorg-x11
          > Latest version available: 6.8.0-r4
          > Latest version installed: 6.8.0-r4
          > Size of downloaded files: 72,273 kB
          > Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
          > Foundation
          > License: Adobe-X CID DEC DEC-2 IBM-X NVIDIA-X NetBSD SGI
          > UCB-LBL XC-2 bigelow-holmes-urw-gmbh-luxi christopher-g-demetriou
          > national-semiconductor nokia tektronix the-open-group todd-c-miller
          > x-truetype xfree86-1.0 MIT SGI-B BSD || ( FTL GPL-2 )
          >

          > On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:
          > >
          > > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't find
          > > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
          > > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
          > > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers and
          > > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

          Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
        • IbericoVespucio
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 15, 2005
            Respondiendo a Paul Gratz [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] ati HW Accel. on a i8500 with r9000m], del 14 de febrero de 2005 a las 09:56:37 (-0600)

            > [.....] I've also attached my xorg.conf for working 3d.
            > Here are the versions I'm using then:

            Thanks a lot for your stuff.

            Ángel.

            --
            ibericovespucio
            @...

            "La verdad se parece mucho a la falta de imaginación."
            (Enrique Jardiel Poncela)