Re: ati HW Accel. on a i8500 with r9000m

  • yomen0208
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11, 2005
      so have did you get the ATI driver to work exactly? are you using
      the "fglrx" module? are you using the internal or kernel agpgart? do
      you have DRI disabled in the config and/or the kernel or neither?
      sorry just seems like i've tried everything^^;

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Paul Gratz <pgratz@g...>
      wrote:
      > I have that machine and video card (I also run gentoo). I've
      gotten both
      > the DRI and ATI drivers working at different times. I found that
      the
      > ATI drivers were better performing so I'm currently using them.
      I'm on
      > ati-drivers-3.14.6 of the ati drivers and
      x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4
      > right now. I'm using 2.6.9-gentoo-r6 of the kernel right now.
      > Paul
      >

      > On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:
      > >
      > > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't
      find
      > > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
      > > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
      > > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers
      and
      > > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

      > Paul Gratz <pgratz@g...>
    • Paul Gratz
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11, 2005
        Looking through my setup (been a while since I set it up) it looks like
        I am using the internal agp driver of the ati-driver. I have not
        selected the Direct rendering manager stuff in my kernel. I do load the
        fglrx module.

        Hope that helps,
        Paul

        On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 21:24 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:

        > so have did you get the ATI driver to work exactly? are you using
        > the "fglrx" module? are you using the internal or kernel agpgart? do
        > you have DRI disabled in the config and/or the kernel or neither?
        > sorry just seems like i've tried everything^^;
        >
        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Paul Gratz <pgratz@g...>
        > wrote:
        > > I have that machine and video card (I also run gentoo). I've
        > gotten both
        > > the DRI and ATI drivers working at different times. I found that
        > the
        > > ATI drivers were better performing so I'm currently using them.
        > I'm on
        > > ati-drivers-3.14.6 of the ati drivers and
        > x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4
        > > right now. I'm using 2.6.9-gentoo-r6 of the kernel right now.
        > > Paul
        > >

        > > On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:
        > > >
        > > > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't
        > find
        > > > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
        > > > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
        > > > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers
        > and
        > > > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

        > > --
        > > Paul Gratz <pgratz@g...>

        Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
      • Paul Gratz
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 14, 2005
          I just wanted to update you. It looks like I was wrong when I sent you
          the info before, gentoo had upgraded my xorg when I "emerge world"ed
          since the last time I had run an open gl program. The setup I told you
          about won't work, in order to get working 3d again I had to update to
          the latest ati-drivers. I've also attached my xorg.conf for working 3d.
          Here are the versions I'm using then:

          * media-video/ati-drivers
          Latest version available: 8.8.25
          Latest version installed: 8.8.25
          Size of downloaded files: 3,656 kB
          Homepage: http://www.ati.com
          chipsets
          License: ATI

          and

          * x11-base/xorg-x11
          Latest version available: 6.8.0-r4
          Latest version installed: 6.8.0-r4
          Size of downloaded files: 72,273 kB
          Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
          Foundation
          License: Adobe-X CID DEC DEC-2 IBM-X NVIDIA-X NetBSD SGI
          UCB-LBL XC-2 bigelow-holmes-urw-gmbh-luxi christopher-g-demetriou
          national-semiconductor nokia tektronix the-open-group todd-c-miller
          x-truetype xfree86-1.0 MIT SGI-B BSD || ( FTL GPL-2 )

          On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:

          > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't find
          > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
          > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
          > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers and
          > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

          Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
        • Paul Gratz
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 14, 2005
            Doh, forgot to make attachment, here is my xorg file.
            Paul

            On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 09:56 -0600, Paul Gratz wrote:
            > I just wanted to update you. It looks like I was wrong when I sent you
            > the info before, gentoo had upgraded my xorg when I "emerge world"ed
            > since the last time I had run an open gl program. The setup I told you
            > about won't work, in order to get working 3d again I had to update to
            > the latest ati-drivers. I've also attached my xorg.conf for working 3d.
            > Here are the versions I'm using then:
            >
            > * media-video/ati-drivers
            > Latest version available: 8.8.25
            > Latest version installed: 8.8.25
            > Size of downloaded files: 3,656 kB
            > Homepage: http://www.ati.com
            > chipsets
            > License: ATI
            >
            > and
            >
            > * x11-base/xorg-x11
            > Latest version available: 6.8.0-r4
            > Latest version installed: 6.8.0-r4
            > Size of downloaded files: 72,273 kB
            > Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
            > Foundation
            > License: Adobe-X CID DEC DEC-2 IBM-X NVIDIA-X NetBSD SGI
            > UCB-LBL XC-2 bigelow-holmes-urw-gmbh-luxi christopher-g-demetriou
            > national-semiconductor nokia tektronix the-open-group todd-c-miller
            > x-truetype xfree86-1.0 MIT SGI-B BSD || ( FTL GPL-2 )
            >

            > On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:
            > >
            > > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't find
            > > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
            > > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
            > > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers and
            > > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

            Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
          • IbericoVespucio
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 15, 2005
              Respondiendo a Paul Gratz [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] ati HW Accel. on a i8500 with r9000m], del 14 de febrero de 2005 a las 09:56:37 (-0600)

              > [.....] I've also attached my xorg.conf for working 3d.
              > Here are the versions I'm using then:

              Thanks a lot for your stuff.

              Ángel.

              --
              ibericovespucio
              @...

              "La verdad se parece mucho a la falta de imaginación."
              (Enrique Jardiel Poncela)