Re: [linux-dell-laptops] ati HW Accel. on a i8500 with r9000m

  • marius mikucionis
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11, 2005
      On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 05:39:28 -0000, yomen0208 <mc235@...> wrote:

      > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't find
      > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
      > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
      > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers and
      > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

      What do you mean by HW acceleration?

      I have i8200 with ATI Radeon 9000M.
      3D direct acceleration works out of the box with debian unstable
      (`glxinfo | grep direct` says YES).
      linux-2.6.9, XFree86-4.3.0.1 (no propietary ATI drivers).
      Nothing special, maybe you need to `modprobe radeon`,
      make sure you have dri, glx, GLcore in Section "Modules" in
      /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, Driver is radeon in Section "Device" as
      far as I remember...
      I guess it should work with standard setup for you too.
      There are may success stories for i8500 too, e.g.:
      http://www.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~amanous/Inspiron-Linux/
      look at
      http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html
    • yomen0208
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11, 2005
        i meant hardware acceleration. i've been using the ATI drivers, i'll
        try the stock ones and see if that works any better. thanks for your
        reply^^
        -Ryu

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, marius mikucionis
        <mmikucionis@g...> wrote:
        > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 05:39:28 -0000, yomen0208 <mc235@m...> wrote:
        > >
        > > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't
        find
        > > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
        > > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
        > > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers
        and
        > > xorg. thanks for any help^^;
        >
        > What do you mean by HW acceleration?
        >
        > I have i8200 with ATI Radeon 9000M.
        > 3D direct acceleration works out of the box with debian unstable
        > (`glxinfo | grep direct` says YES).
        > linux-2.6.9, XFree86-4.3.0.1 (no propietary ATI drivers).
        > Nothing special, maybe you need to `modprobe radeon`,
        > make sure you have dri, glx, GLcore in Section "Modules" in
        > /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, Driver is radeon in Section "Device"
        as
        > far as I remember...
        > I guess it should work with standard setup for you too.
        > There are may success stories for i8500 too, e.g.:
        > http://www.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~amanous/Inspiron-Linux/
        > look at
        > http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html
      • Paul Gratz
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2005
          I have that machine and video card (I also run gentoo). I've gotten both
          the DRI and ATI drivers working at different times. I found that the
          ATI drivers were better performing so I'm currently using them. I'm on
          ati-drivers-3.14.6 of the ati drivers and x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4
          right now. I'm using 2.6.9-gentoo-r6 of the kernel right now.
          Paul

          On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:

          > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't find
          > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
          > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
          > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers and
          > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

          Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
        • yomen0208
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 11, 2005
            so have did you get the ATI driver to work exactly? are you using
            the "fglrx" module? are you using the internal or kernel agpgart? do
            you have DRI disabled in the config and/or the kernel or neither?
            sorry just seems like i've tried everything^^;

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Paul Gratz <pgratz@g...>
            wrote:
            > I have that machine and video card (I also run gentoo). I've
            gotten both
            > the DRI and ATI drivers working at different times. I found that
            the
            > ATI drivers were better performing so I'm currently using them.
            I'm on
            > ati-drivers-3.14.6 of the ati drivers and
            x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4
            > right now. I'm using 2.6.9-gentoo-r6 of the kernel right now.
            > Paul
            >

            > On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:
            > >
            > > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't
            find
            > > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
            > > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
            > > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers
            and
            > > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

            > Paul Gratz <pgratz@g...>
          • Paul Gratz
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 11, 2005
              Looking through my setup (been a while since I set it up) it looks like
              I am using the internal agp driver of the ati-driver. I have not
              selected the Direct rendering manager stuff in my kernel. I do load the
              fglrx module.

              Hope that helps,
              Paul

              On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 21:24 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:

              > so have did you get the ATI driver to work exactly? are you using
              > the "fglrx" module? are you using the internal or kernel agpgart? do
              > you have DRI disabled in the config and/or the kernel or neither?
              > sorry just seems like i've tried everything^^;
              >
              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Paul Gratz <pgratz@g...>
              > wrote:
              > > I have that machine and video card (I also run gentoo). I've
              > gotten both
              > > the DRI and ATI drivers working at different times. I found that
              > the
              > > ATI drivers were better performing so I'm currently using them.
              > I'm on
              > > ati-drivers-3.14.6 of the ati drivers and
              > x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4
              > > right now. I'm using 2.6.9-gentoo-r6 of the kernel right now.
              > > Paul
              > >

              > > On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:
              > > >
              > > > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't
              > find
              > > > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
              > > > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
              > > > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers
              > and
              > > > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

              > > --
              > > Paul Gratz <pgratz@g...>

              Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
            • Paul Gratz
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 14, 2005
                I just wanted to update you. It looks like I was wrong when I sent you
                the info before, gentoo had upgraded my xorg when I "emerge world"ed
                since the last time I had run an open gl program. The setup I told you
                about won't work, in order to get working 3d again I had to update to
                the latest ati-drivers. I've also attached my xorg.conf for working 3d.
                Here are the versions I'm using then:

                * media-video/ati-drivers
                Latest version available: 8.8.25
                Latest version installed: 8.8.25
                Size of downloaded files: 3,656 kB
                Homepage: http://www.ati.com
                chipsets
                License: ATI

                and

                * x11-base/xorg-x11
                Latest version available: 6.8.0-r4
                Latest version installed: 6.8.0-r4
                Size of downloaded files: 72,273 kB
                Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
                Foundation
                License: Adobe-X CID DEC DEC-2 IBM-X NVIDIA-X NetBSD SGI
                UCB-LBL XC-2 bigelow-holmes-urw-gmbh-luxi christopher-g-demetriou
                national-semiconductor nokia tektronix the-open-group todd-c-miller
                x-truetype xfree86-1.0 MIT SGI-B BSD || ( FTL GPL-2 )

                On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:

                > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't find
                > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
                > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
                > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers and
                > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

                Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
              • Paul Gratz
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 14, 2005
                  Doh, forgot to make attachment, here is my xorg file.
                  Paul

                  On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 09:56 -0600, Paul Gratz wrote:
                  > I just wanted to update you. It looks like I was wrong when I sent you
                  > the info before, gentoo had upgraded my xorg when I "emerge world"ed
                  > since the last time I had run an open gl program. The setup I told you
                  > about won't work, in order to get working 3d again I had to update to
                  > the latest ati-drivers. I've also attached my xorg.conf for working 3d.
                  > Here are the versions I'm using then:
                  >
                  > * media-video/ati-drivers
                  > Latest version available: 8.8.25
                  > Latest version installed: 8.8.25
                  > Size of downloaded files: 3,656 kB
                  > Homepage: http://www.ati.com
                  > chipsets
                  > License: ATI
                  >
                  > and
                  >
                  > * x11-base/xorg-x11
                  > Latest version available: 6.8.0-r4
                  > Latest version installed: 6.8.0-r4
                  > Size of downloaded files: 72,273 kB
                  > Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
                  > Foundation
                  > License: Adobe-X CID DEC DEC-2 IBM-X NVIDIA-X NetBSD SGI
                  > UCB-LBL XC-2 bigelow-holmes-urw-gmbh-luxi christopher-g-demetriou
                  > national-semiconductor nokia tektronix the-open-group todd-c-miller
                  > x-truetype xfree86-1.0 MIT SGI-B BSD || ( FTL GPL-2 )
                  >

                  > On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:
                  > >
                  > > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't find
                  > > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
                  > > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
                  > > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers and
                  > > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

                  Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
                • IbericoVespucio
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 15, 2005
                    Respondiendo a Paul Gratz [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] ati HW Accel. on a i8500 with r9000m], del 14 de febrero de 2005 a las 09:56:37 (-0600)

                    > [.....] I've also attached my xorg.conf for working 3d.
                    > Here are the versions I'm using then:

                    Thanks a lot for your stuff.

                    Ángel.

                    --
                    ibericovespucio
                    @...

                    "La verdad se parece mucho a la falta de imaginación."
                    (Enrique Jardiel Poncela)