ati HW Accel. on a i8500 with r9000m

  • yomen0208
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 10, 2005
      ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't find
      them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
      this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
      machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers and
      xorg. thanks for any help^^;
    • marius mikucionis
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11, 2005
        On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 05:39:28 -0000, yomen0208 <mc235@...> wrote:

        > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't find
        > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
        > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
        > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers and
        > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

        What do you mean by HW acceleration?

        I have i8200 with ATI Radeon 9000M.
        3D direct acceleration works out of the box with debian unstable
        (`glxinfo | grep direct` says YES).
        linux-2.6.9, XFree86-4.3.0.1 (no propietary ATI drivers).
        Nothing special, maybe you need to `modprobe radeon`,
        make sure you have dri, glx, GLcore in Section "Modules" in
        /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, Driver is radeon in Section "Device" as
        far as I remember...
        I guess it should work with standard setup for you too.
        There are may success stories for i8500 too, e.g.:
        http://www.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~amanous/Inspiron-Linux/
        look at
        http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html
      • yomen0208
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2005
          i meant hardware acceleration. i've been using the ATI drivers, i'll
          try the stock ones and see if that works any better. thanks for your
          reply^^
          -Ryu

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, marius mikucionis
          <mmikucionis@g...> wrote:
          > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 05:39:28 -0000, yomen0208 <mc235@m...> wrote:
          > >
          > > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't
          find
          > > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
          > > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
          > > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers
          and
          > > xorg. thanks for any help^^;
          >
          > What do you mean by HW acceleration?
          >
          > I have i8200 with ATI Radeon 9000M.
          > 3D direct acceleration works out of the box with debian unstable
          > (`glxinfo | grep direct` says YES).
          > linux-2.6.9, XFree86-4.3.0.1 (no propietary ATI drivers).
          > Nothing special, maybe you need to `modprobe radeon`,
          > make sure you have dri, glx, GLcore in Section "Modules" in
          > /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, Driver is radeon in Section "Device"
          as
          > far as I remember...
          > I guess it should work with standard setup for you too.
          > There are may success stories for i8500 too, e.g.:
          > http://www.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~amanous/Inspiron-Linux/
          > look at
          > http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html
        • Paul Gratz
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 11, 2005
            I have that machine and video card (I also run gentoo). I've gotten both
            the DRI and ATI drivers working at different times. I found that the
            ATI drivers were better performing so I'm currently using them. I'm on
            ati-drivers-3.14.6 of the ati drivers and x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4
            right now. I'm using 2.6.9-gentoo-r6 of the kernel right now.
            Paul

            On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:

            > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't find
            > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
            > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
            > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers and
            > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

            Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
          • yomen0208
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 11, 2005
              so have did you get the ATI driver to work exactly? are you using
              the "fglrx" module? are you using the internal or kernel agpgart? do
              you have DRI disabled in the config and/or the kernel or neither?
              sorry just seems like i've tried everything^^;

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Paul Gratz <pgratz@g...>
              wrote:
              > I have that machine and video card (I also run gentoo). I've
              gotten both
              > the DRI and ATI drivers working at different times. I found that
              the
              > ATI drivers were better performing so I'm currently using them.
              I'm on
              > ati-drivers-3.14.6 of the ati drivers and
              x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4
              > right now. I'm using 2.6.9-gentoo-r6 of the kernel right now.
              > Paul
              >

              > On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:
              > >
              > > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't
              find
              > > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
              > > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
              > > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers
              and
              > > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

              > Paul Gratz <pgratz@g...>
            • Paul Gratz
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 11, 2005
                Looking through my setup (been a while since I set it up) it looks like
                I am using the internal agp driver of the ati-driver. I have not
                selected the Direct rendering manager stuff in my kernel. I do load the
                fglrx module.

                Hope that helps,
                Paul

                On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 21:24 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:

                > so have did you get the ATI driver to work exactly? are you using
                > the "fglrx" module? are you using the internal or kernel agpgart? do
                > you have DRI disabled in the config and/or the kernel or neither?
                > sorry just seems like i've tried everything^^;
                >
                > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Paul Gratz <pgratz@g...>
                > wrote:
                > > I have that machine and video card (I also run gentoo). I've
                > gotten both
                > > the DRI and ATI drivers working at different times. I found that
                > the
                > > ATI drivers were better performing so I'm currently using them.
                > I'm on
                > > ati-drivers-3.14.6 of the ati drivers and
                > x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4
                > > right now. I'm using 2.6.9-gentoo-r6 of the kernel right now.
                > > Paul
                > >

                > > On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:
                > > >
                > > > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't
                > find
                > > > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
                > > > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
                > > > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers
                > and
                > > > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

                > > --
                > > Paul Gratz <pgratz@g...>

                Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
              • Paul Gratz
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 14, 2005
                  I just wanted to update you. It looks like I was wrong when I sent you
                  the info before, gentoo had upgraded my xorg when I "emerge world"ed
                  since the last time I had run an open gl program. The setup I told you
                  about won't work, in order to get working 3d again I had to update to
                  the latest ati-drivers. I've also attached my xorg.conf for working 3d.
                  Here are the versions I'm using then:

                  * media-video/ati-drivers
                  Latest version available: 8.8.25
                  Latest version installed: 8.8.25
                  Size of downloaded files: 3,656 kB
                  Homepage: http://www.ati.com
                  chipsets
                  License: ATI

                  and

                  * x11-base/xorg-x11
                  Latest version available: 6.8.0-r4
                  Latest version installed: 6.8.0-r4
                  Size of downloaded files: 72,273 kB
                  Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
                  Foundation
                  License: Adobe-X CID DEC DEC-2 IBM-X NVIDIA-X NetBSD SGI
                  UCB-LBL XC-2 bigelow-holmes-urw-gmbh-luxi christopher-g-demetriou
                  national-semiconductor nokia tektronix the-open-group todd-c-miller
                  x-truetype xfree86-1.0 MIT SGI-B BSD || ( FTL GPL-2 )

                  On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:

                  > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't find
                  > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
                  > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
                  > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers and
                  > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

                  Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
                • Paul Gratz
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 14, 2005
                    Doh, forgot to make attachment, here is my xorg file.
                    Paul

                    On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 09:56 -0600, Paul Gratz wrote:
                    > I just wanted to update you. It looks like I was wrong when I sent you
                    > the info before, gentoo had upgraded my xorg when I "emerge world"ed
                    > since the last time I had run an open gl program. The setup I told you
                    > about won't work, in order to get working 3d again I had to update to
                    > the latest ati-drivers. I've also attached my xorg.conf for working 3d.
                    > Here are the versions I'm using then:
                    >
                    > * media-video/ati-drivers
                    > Latest version available: 8.8.25
                    > Latest version installed: 8.8.25
                    > Size of downloaded files: 3,656 kB
                    > Homepage: http://www.ati.com
                    > chipsets
                    > License: ATI
                    >
                    > and
                    >
                    > * x11-base/xorg-x11
                    > Latest version available: 6.8.0-r4
                    > Latest version installed: 6.8.0-r4
                    > Size of downloaded files: 72,273 kB
                    > Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
                    > Foundation
                    > License: Adobe-X CID DEC DEC-2 IBM-X NVIDIA-X NetBSD SGI
                    > UCB-LBL XC-2 bigelow-holmes-urw-gmbh-luxi christopher-g-demetriou
                    > national-semiconductor nokia tektronix the-open-group todd-c-miller
                    > x-truetype xfree86-1.0 MIT SGI-B BSD || ( FTL GPL-2 )
                    >

                    > On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:39 +0000, yomen0208 wrote:
                    > >
                    > > ok, i know this has been talked about serval times, but i can't find
                    > > them, so... Has anyone gotten this to work? i REALLY need to get
                    > > this to work and i've tried every thing i know. It's a gentoo
                    > > machine with the latest kernel sources and latest ati-drivers and
                    > > xorg. thanks for any help^^;

                    Paul Gratz <pgratz@...>
                  • IbericoVespucio
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 15, 2005
                      Respondiendo a Paul Gratz [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] ati HW Accel. on a i8500 with r9000m], del 14 de febrero de 2005 a las 09:56:37 (-0600)

                      > [.....] I've also attached my xorg.conf for working 3d.
                      > Here are the versions I'm using then:

                      Thanks a lot for your stuff.

                      Ángel.

                      --
                      ibericovespucio
                      @...

                      "La verdad se parece mucho a la falta de imaginación."
                      (Enrique Jardiel Poncela)