Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Latitude D810 vs Precision M70: which to choose?

  • Jim Diamond
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2005
      On Mon, Feb 7, 2005 at 17:06 (-0000), Ted Markowitz wrote:

      > I'm in the market for one of these two machines (they're the updated
      > models of the 800 and the M60) and was wondering if anyone had
      > experience with these two lines that could help me choose which I
      > should get to run Linux (preferably Fedora Core). When spec'd out
      > similarly, they have essentially the exact same components---CPU, RAM,
      > disk, screen, etc.---but the new 810 uses an ATI x600 video chipset
      > whereas the M70 uses the nVidia GeForce FX (both up to 128M video
      > RAM). However, the M70 is nearly $750 more expensive. Why? I'm not a
      > gamer, so sheer video speed is not crucial, but I'd like to get the
      > most bang for my buck with the least Linux pain. ;-)

      I've had an I8K with a Synpatics touchpad for 3.5 years, and a D600
      with an Alps glidepoint for getting on to 9 months. Before I got the
      D600 I never could understand why people bad-mouthed "touchpads"
      (speaking generically) so badly. Now I know... the glidepoint on my
      D600 truly defies polite description. The very mild version of my
      feelings towards it is "bad, bad, bad". If you ever want to use the
      "touchpad", and one of those machines has a Synaptics and the other
      has an Alps, avoid the Alps like the plague it is.

      In all fairness, I should point out that it *may* be a driver issue,
      but I have tried both the stock X11 driver that comes with Slackware
      10.0 as well as the synaptics-0.13.5 and 0.14.0 drivers (which both
      allegedly support the glidepoint). The all work differently, but
      badly. If anyone here is using a D600 with an Alps glidepoint, and it
      doesn't both suck and blow (still a very polite and restrained
      description of how I feel!), please let me know what software you're
      running.

      Thanks.

      Jim
    • marius mikucionis
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 9, 2005
        On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:06:07 -0000, Ted Markowitz <tjm@...> wrote:
        > I'm used to Inspirons (I have a 2-3 yr old 8200 {nVidia-based} and am
        > just sending back a brand-new, "cursed" XPS system {ATI-based} which
        > has been gruesome to get working with the latest ATI fglrx drivers),
        > so I have some experience with these running RH8 through FC3.

        Why would you want to use ATI fglrx drivers?
        I myself own Inspiron 8200 with Radeon 9000M, it runs as a charm with
        XFree86-4.3.0 native radeon driver (with 3D acceleration, APM suspend
        to RAM).

        marius