Latitude D810 vs Precision M70: which to choose?

  • Ted Markowitz
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
      I'm in the market for one of these two machines (they're the updated
      models of the 800 and the M60) and was wondering if anyone had
      experience with these two lines that could help me choose which I
      should get to run Linux (preferably Fedora Core). When spec'd out
      similarly, they have essentially the exact same components---CPU, RAM,
      disk, screen, etc.---but the new 810 uses an ATI x600 video chipset
      whereas the M70 uses the nVidia GeForce FX (both up to 128M video
      RAM). However, the M70 is nearly $750 more expensive. Why? I'm not a
      gamer, so sheer video speed is not crucial, but I'd like to get the
      most bang for my buck with the least Linux pain. ;-)

      I'm used to Inspirons (I have a 2-3 yr old 8200 {nVidia-based} and am
      just sending back a brand-new, "cursed" XPS system {ATI-based} which
      has been gruesome to get working with the latest ATI fglrx drivers),
      so I have some experience with these running RH8 through FC3.

      Any help/advice would be appreciated.

      TIA,

      --ted
    • Haedn Thorn
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
        --- Ted Markowitz <tjm@...> wrote:

        > I'm in the market for one of these two machines
        > (they're the updated
        > models of the 800 and the M60) and was wondering if
        > anyone had
        > experience with these two lines that could help me
        > choose which I
        > should get to run Linux (preferably Fedora Core).
        > When spec'd out
        > similarly, they have essentially the exact same
        > components---CPU, RAM,
        > disk, screen, etc.---but the new 810 uses an ATI
        > x600 video chipset
        > whereas the M70 uses the nVidia GeForce FX (both up
        > to 128M video
        > RAM). However, the M70 is nearly $750 more
        > expensive. Why? I'm not a
        > gamer, so sheer video speed is not crucial, but I'd
        > like to get the
        > most bang for my buck with the least Linux pain. ;-)
        >
        > I'm used to Inspirons (I have a 2-3 yr old 8200
        > {nVidia-based} and am
        > just sending back a brand-new, "cursed" XPS system
        > {ATI-based} which
        > has been gruesome to get working with the latest ATI
        > fglrx drivers),
        > so I have some experience with these running RH8
        > through FC3.

        Other than nVidia vs ATi, the M70 is going to be more
        robust than the 810. The precision line is designed
        for business and industry use, while the Inspirons are
        for home use. Better materials is the primary source
        of additional cost. ... I've got a 600m (with 64M
        Radeon 9000) and for only $200 more, I could have had
        the 8600 with the GeForceFX ... I wish (primarily for
        the video drivers under X) that I had gone with the
        8600. My graphics work fine, but I've had to wait a
        lot for the drivers and stability from ATi.
      • John & Dawn Rybon

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2005
            On Mon, Feb 7, 2005 at 17:06 (-0000), Ted Markowitz wrote:

            > I'm in the market for one of these two machines (they're the updated
            > models of the 800 and the M60) and was wondering if anyone had
            > experience with these two lines that could help me choose which I
            > should get to run Linux (preferably Fedora Core). When spec'd out
            > similarly, they have essentially the exact same components---CPU, RAM,
            > disk, screen, etc.---but the new 810 uses an ATI x600 video chipset
            > whereas the M70 uses the nVidia GeForce FX (both up to 128M video
            > RAM). However, the M70 is nearly $750 more expensive. Why? I'm not a
            > gamer, so sheer video speed is not crucial, but I'd like to get the
            > most bang for my buck with the least Linux pain. ;-)

            I've had an I8K with a Synpatics touchpad for 3.5 years, and a D600
            with an Alps glidepoint for getting on to 9 months. Before I got the
            D600 I never could understand why people bad-mouthed "touchpads"
            (speaking generically) so badly. Now I know... the glidepoint on my
            D600 truly defies polite description. The very mild version of my
            feelings towards it is "bad, bad, bad". If you ever want to use the
            "touchpad", and one of those machines has a Synaptics and the other
            has an Alps, avoid the Alps like the plague it is.

            In all fairness, I should point out that it *may* be a driver issue,
            but I have tried both the stock X11 driver that comes with Slackware
            10.0 as well as the synaptics-0.13.5 and 0.14.0 drivers (which both
            allegedly support the glidepoint). The all work differently, but
            badly. If anyone here is using a D600 with an Alps glidepoint, and it
            doesn't both suck and blow (still a very polite and restrained
            description of how I feel!), please let me know what software you're
            running.

            Thanks.

            Jim
          • marius mikucionis
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 9, 2005
              On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:06:07 -0000, Ted Markowitz <tjm@...> wrote:
              > I'm used to Inspirons (I have a 2-3 yr old 8200 {nVidia-based} and am
              > just sending back a brand-new, "cursed" XPS system {ATI-based} which
              > has been gruesome to get working with the latest ATI fglrx drivers),
              > so I have some experience with these running RH8 through FC3.

              Why would you want to use ATI fglrx drivers?
              I myself own Inspiron 8200 with Radeon 9000M, it runs as a charm with
              XFree86-4.3.0 native radeon driver (with 3D acceleration, APM suspend
              to RAM).

              marius