Re: ALSA for Percision M60?

  • Wen ke Li
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
      > Wen ke Li wrote:
      >
      > >--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn
      > ><lordhaedn@y...> wrote:
      > >

      > >>--- Wen ke Li <corecentralconsciousness@y...>

      > >>/dev/sndstat is old. The HOWTO is likely out of date,
      > >>at least for using 2.6 kernels. I compiled in sound
      > >>support and used the 1.08 from alsaproject.org ... I
      > >>believe I had some trouble getting to compile
      > >>initially as well, but I can't recall for certain.
      > >>Running 'alsaconf' as root cleaned up some config files.
      > >>

      > >lol, I do feel dump now. Gentoo has provided specific documentation on
      > > how to set up ALSA. Should have looked there first. Oh well, lesson
      > >learned:) I'm still really new at this, only got my system installed
      > >last weekend. But, thanks for the help:)
      > >

      > It would be nice of you to post the link to those instructions (if they
      > are clear and work). If the instructions are Gentoo-specific, they'll
      > still be helpful to some. But, given that a lot of Linux is the same
      > from one distro to another, it's likely that the instructions might be
      > of benefit to a wide range of Linux folks.
      >

      > tia,
      > ken
      >
      > --
      > "It is not knowable how long that conflict would last, it could last,
      > you know, six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."
      > --Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 2/7/03

      You are right:) completely forgot about it, had much to do, setting up
      java, openoffice, and acpi to get linux to be my primary system
      (instead of windows, I try to avoid booting into it as much as
      possible now). Aside from certain commands specific to gentoo, the
      documentations indeed seem pretty adaptable to all distros. Anyways,
      here is the link:

      http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=desktop

      You can find the ALSA guide, the power management (ACPI) guide, the
      java guide, kde guide, gnome guide, Nvidia driver guide, ATI driver
      guide, X11 guide, etc. Hopefully it can be useful to people using
      other distros:)
    • henri_poincaraux
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Wen ke Li"
        <corecentralconsciousness@y...> wrote:

        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
        > > Wen ke Li wrote:
        > >
        > > >--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn

        > > >lol, I do feel dump now. Gentoo has provided specific
        documentation on
        > > > how to set up ALSA. Should have looked there first. Oh well, lesson
        > > >learned:) I'm still really new at this, only got my system installed
        > > >last weekend. But, thanks for the help:)
        > > >

        > > It would be nice of you to post the link to those instructions (if
        they
        > > are clear and work). If the instructions are Gentoo-specific,
        they'll
        > > still be helpful to some. But, given that a lot of Linux is the same
        > > from one distro to another, it's likely that the instructions
        might be
        > > of benefit to a wide range of Linux folks.
        > >

        > > tia,
        > > ken
        > >
        > > --
        > > "It is not knowable how long that conflict would last, it could last,
        > > you know, six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."
        > > --Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 2/7/03
        >
        > You are right:) completely forgot about it, had much to do, setting up
        > java, openoffice, and acpi to get linux to be my primary system
        > (instead of windows, I try to avoid booting into it as much as
        > possible now). Aside from certain commands specific to gentoo, the
        > documentations indeed seem pretty adaptable to all distros. Anyways,
        > here is the link:
        >
        > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=desktop
        >
        > You can find the ALSA guide, the power management (ACPI) guide, the
        > java guide, kde guide, gnome guide, Nvidia driver guide, ATI driver
        > guide, X11 guide, etc. Hopefully it can be useful to people using
        > other distros:)

        FWIW, I didn't get sound working in gentoo. SuSE works like a champ,
        though.