Re: switching between ethernet & modem inet connection

  • Andy Robinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2005
      > From: ken <gebser@...>
      > Subject: Re: Re: Mandrake 10.1
      >

      > Check the value for GATEWAY in /etc/sysconfig/network. If it's wrong,
      > change it the correct device. Then run /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart.
      >
      > hth,
      > ken
      >
      > Andy Robinson wrote:
      > >Here's my remaining problem, which I've asked on MandrakeExpert but
      > >they're slow to reply. I can't switch between ethernet connection to
      > >inet and modem (for when ethernet not available) on the m60. I can
      > >select "configure network" and select "modem", but the selection doesn't
      > >"stick", it still says ethernet. I can configure kppp and dial up my ISP
      > >ok, but still can't access inet because the machine still thinks it is
      > >supposed to use ethernet. Has anyone else encountered/solved this one?
      > >
      > >Regards,
      > >Andy Robinson, Seventh String Software, www.seventhstring.com

      Thanks for this. In case anyone is interested, here's the solution I
      found. The Mandrake config tools don't seem to work too well for this.

      Assuming the machine is setup for ethernet, then "route" shows 2 eth0
      entries. As root, "ifconfig eth0 down" first, so as to remove the
      default route. "route" now shows no eth0 entries.
      Then dial up with kppp and the ppp0 interface becomes the new default.
      (I expect there are other ways of achieving this result, but this works
      for me).
      It's also necessary to configure the firewall and tell it to use ppp for
      inet connectiuon.

      Andy Robinson, Seventh String Software, www.seventhstring.com