Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: ALSA for Percision M60?

  • ken
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
      Wen ke Li wrote:

      >--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn
      ><lordhaedn@y...> wrote:
      >

      >>--- Wen ke Li <corecentralconsciousness@y...>
      >>wrote:
      >>

      >>>Now I am completely, utterly confused about how to
      >>>go on about this. I
      >>>originally have my kernel configured to have ALSA
      >>>built in, but that
      >>>didn't do much. I was never able to make the
      >>>/dev/sndstat file
      >>>mentioned in the sound HOWTO documentation. I tried
      >>>to compile the
      >>>kernel with ALSA compiled as modules (and adding
      >>>them to the autoload
      >>>list), but that didn't do much. I tried to compile
      >>>the kernel without
      >>>ALSA support but with general soundcardsupport, then
      >>>install the
      >>>latest ALSA driver, 1.08 (appreantly the one I have
      >>>is 1.06), but for
      >>>some reason the build fails. So now I'm at a loss as
      >>>to what do to....
      >>>how should I begin this entire affair? Start with
      >>>the kernel without
      >>>ALSA support? Or have ALSA built in? Also, which
      >>>HOWTO should I
      >>>actually read? there was the sound HOWTO, the intall
      >>>from scratch
      >>>HOWTO, and some other HOWTOs.....
      >>>

      >>/dev/sndstat is old. The HOWTO is likely out of date,
      >>at least for using 2.6 kernels. I compiled in sound
      >>support and used the 1.08 from alsaproject.org ... I
      >>believe I had some trouble getting to compile
      >>initially as well, but I can't recall for certain.
      >>Running 'alsaconf' as root cleaned up some config files.
      >>

      >lol, I do feel dump now. Gentoo has provided specific documentation on
      > how to set up ALSA. Should have looked there first. Oh well, lesson
      >learned:) I'm still really new at this, only got my system installed
      >last weekend. But, thanks for the help:)

      It would be nice of you to post the link to those instructions (if they
      are clear and work). If the instructions are Gentoo-specific, they'll
      still be helpful to some. But, given that a lot of Linux is the same
      from one distro to another, it's likely that the instructions might be
      of benefit to a wide range of Linux folks.

      tia,
      ken

      --
      "It is not knowable how long that conflict would last, it could last,
      you know, six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
        > Wen ke Li wrote:
        >
        > >--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn
        > ><lordhaedn@y...> wrote:
        > >

        > >>--- Wen ke Li <corecentralconsciousness@y...>

        > >>/dev/sndstat is old. The HOWTO is likely out of date,
        > >>at least for using 2.6 kernels. I compiled in sound
        > >>support and used the 1.08 from alsaproject.org ... I
        > >>believe I had some trouble getting to compile
        > >>initially as well, but I can't recall for certain.
        > >>Running 'alsaconf' as root cleaned up some config files.
        > >>

        > >lol, I do feel dump now. Gentoo has provided specific documentation on
        > > how to set up ALSA. Should have looked there first. Oh well, lesson
        > >learned:) I'm still really new at this, only got my system installed
        > >last weekend. But, thanks for the help:)
        > >

        > It would be nice of you to post the link to those instructions (if they
        > are clear and work). If the instructions are Gentoo-specific, they'll
        > still be helpful to some. But, given that a lot of Linux is the same
        > from one distro to another, it's likely that the instructions might be
        > of benefit to a wide range of Linux folks.

        I think he's talking about this:
        http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

        But .. I have the same laptop and couldn't quite get things working.

        -michael

        > tia,
        > ken
        >
        > --
        > "It is not knowable how long that conflict would last, it could last,
        > you know, six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."
        > --Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 2/7/03
      • Wen ke Li
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
          > Wen ke Li wrote:
          >
          > >--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn
          > ><lordhaedn@y...> wrote:
          > >

          > >>--- Wen ke Li <corecentralconsciousness@y...>

          > >>/dev/sndstat is old. The HOWTO is likely out of date,
          > >>at least for using 2.6 kernels. I compiled in sound
          > >>support and used the 1.08 from alsaproject.org ... I
          > >>believe I had some trouble getting to compile
          > >>initially as well, but I can't recall for certain.
          > >>Running 'alsaconf' as root cleaned up some config files.
          > >>

          > >lol, I do feel dump now. Gentoo has provided specific documentation on
          > > how to set up ALSA. Should have looked there first. Oh well, lesson
          > >learned:) I'm still really new at this, only got my system installed
          > >last weekend. But, thanks for the help:)
          > >

          > It would be nice of you to post the link to those instructions (if they
          > are clear and work). If the instructions are Gentoo-specific, they'll
          > still be helpful to some. But, given that a lot of Linux is the same
          > from one distro to another, it's likely that the instructions might be
          > of benefit to a wide range of Linux folks.
          >

          > tia,
          > ken
          >
          > --
          > "It is not knowable how long that conflict would last, it could last,
          > you know, six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."
          > --Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 2/7/03

          You are right:) completely forgot about it, had much to do, setting up
          java, openoffice, and acpi to get linux to be my primary system
          (instead of windows, I try to avoid booting into it as much as
          possible now). Aside from certain commands specific to gentoo, the
          documentations indeed seem pretty adaptable to all distros. Anyways,
          here is the link:

          http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=desktop

          You can find the ALSA guide, the power management (ACPI) guide, the
          java guide, kde guide, gnome guide, Nvidia driver guide, ATI driver
          guide, X11 guide, etc. Hopefully it can be useful to people using
          other distros:)
        • henri_poincaraux
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Wen ke Li"
            <corecentralconsciousness@y...> wrote:

            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
            > > Wen ke Li wrote:
            > >
            > > >--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn

            > > >lol, I do feel dump now. Gentoo has provided specific
            documentation on
            > > > how to set up ALSA. Should have looked there first. Oh well, lesson
            > > >learned:) I'm still really new at this, only got my system installed
            > > >last weekend. But, thanks for the help:)
            > > >

            > > It would be nice of you to post the link to those instructions (if
            they
            > > are clear and work). If the instructions are Gentoo-specific,
            they'll
            > > still be helpful to some. But, given that a lot of Linux is the same
            > > from one distro to another, it's likely that the instructions
            might be
            > > of benefit to a wide range of Linux folks.
            > >

            > > tia,
            > > ken
            > >
            > > --
            > > "It is not knowable how long that conflict would last, it could last,
            > > you know, six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."
            > > --Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 2/7/03
            >
            > You are right:) completely forgot about it, had much to do, setting up
            > java, openoffice, and acpi to get linux to be my primary system
            > (instead of windows, I try to avoid booting into it as much as
            > possible now). Aside from certain commands specific to gentoo, the
            > documentations indeed seem pretty adaptable to all distros. Anyways,
            > here is the link:
            >
            > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=desktop
            >
            > You can find the ALSA guide, the power management (ACPI) guide, the
            > java guide, kde guide, gnome guide, Nvidia driver guide, ATI driver
            > guide, X11 guide, etc. Hopefully it can be useful to people using
            > other distros:)

            FWIW, I didn't get sound working in gentoo. SuSE works like a champ,
            though.