[slightly OT] Need to flash CMOS on Inspiron 1100?

  • Don Levey
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
      We've got an Inspiron 1100, and it refuses to start up. The battery is
      fully charged, and even when plugged in to the wall, when we hit the power
      button the battery indicator flashes a few times and then stops. The
      machine itself doesn't even start up, it seems.

      One of my friendly IT guys suggested that I needed to flash the CMOS, but
      was unable to tell me how. Any suggestions?

      Thanks in advance,
      -Don
    • Damien Solley
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
        Hi Don

        Are you sure the battery is fully charged and the AC adapter is working?

        If so, perhaps resetting the CMOS would be sufficient. To do this, pull
        out the CMOS battery (under the keyboard on this laptop, IIRC) for a
        minute, then put it in again. Be careful not to damage the keyboard when
        removing it!

        Instructions for dismantling the I1100 are available on Dell's support
        website in the "Service Manual".
        http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins5100/en/sm/index.htm?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

        Good luck,
        Damien

        On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 16:33 -0500, Don Levey wrote:
        > We've got an Inspiron 1100, and it refuses to start up. The battery is
        > fully charged, and even when plugged in to the wall, when we hit the power
        > button the battery indicator flashes a few times and then stops. The
        > machine itself doesn't even start up, it seems.
        >
        > One of my friendly IT guys suggested that I needed to flash the CMOS, but
        > was unable to tell me how. Any suggestions?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > -Don

      • Joakim Olsson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
          That's the symptom my I8600 showed a while ago. Sometimes it refused to
          start up the harddrive and then the indicator flashed and then turned
          off the machine again.

          Dell was here and replaced the motherboard and then everything was
          alright again.

          Regards,
          Joakim

          Don Levey wrote:

          > We've got an Inspiron 1100, and it refuses to start up. The battery is
          > fully charged, and even when plugged in to the wall, when we hit the power
          > button the battery indicator flashes a few times and then stops. The
          > machine itself doesn't even start up, it seems.
          >
          > One of my friendly IT guys suggested that I needed to flash the CMOS, but
          > was unable to tell me how. Any suggestions?
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          > -Don

        • Douglas S. Oliver

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
              Yes I know about that. My power brick is not on that list either. Hope
              nothing will happen to it even though :-D

              /Joakim