Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 1983

  • ken
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2005
      Irlandes wrote:

      >>>Message: 2
      >>> Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:54:25 -0500
      >>> From: ken <gebser@...>
      >>>Subject: Re: Install Redhat/Fedora on Latitude D500
      >>>

      >>>First, you should back up your important files.
      >>>
      >>>Then you need to defrag the disk. This should move all files and pieces
      >>>of files to the beginning of the disk.
      >>>
      >>>****************
      >>>
      >>>This is not so. Defrag on later Windows, such as XP, absolutely does NOT compress files at the beginning of the HD. It pops them into small clusters all across the HD. I am told there may be a propietary defrag which does, and at that time I found one with a trial period, which I had to run in isolated mode during boot-up, then kill switch and boot into Install disk. I do not remember which defrag it was. I still lost my Win installation, and had to reinstall it all, the only time in many versions of drake that happened to me that I was not able to rescue it..
      >>>

      >>Well, it worked for me-- on my XP system. I did find, however, that I
      >>had to run it more than once, about three times, to get the files to
      >>move to the beginning of the disk.
      >>

      >Wow!! Cool! A lot of people need to hear that, because at that time
      >when I installed Drake dual boot on this machine, everyone all over the
      >various forums said they had the same experience that I did. And,
      >various programmers insisted that it was programmed that way by
      >Microsoft on purpose.
      >
      >I also noted that as soon as I rebooted, after using the trial defragger
      >which made more of an effort to compress stuff, it instantly shoved
      >something clear down to the end of the HD.
      >
      >I'm gonna' do something I hate to do, and that is, as soon as I get
      >time, I'm gonna' put this machine in XP, and start defrag over and over.
      >Not that I doubt your word, but I am the type that has to see for myself
      >before it really sinks in. :-)
      >
      >Seems to me like I need to turn off Antivirus, which I seldom use
      >because I usually use linux. And, maybe something else, I will look at
      >XP help and see if they tell me.
      >
      >Thanks for the tip.
      >
      >Also, I recommend you tell people about the two or three times, so they
      >know what they are getting into.

      Be sure to close all data files and as many unnecessary applications as
      possible. Many years ago-- W95 days, I think-- I read that it was
      necessary to shut down the Windows virtual memory (the Windows excuse
      for 'swap'). I did that and it was a disaster for the Windows side...
      don't recall how I fixed it. But so I didn't do that this time... just
      left the Windows swap where it was. Back to the recent (XP) defrag,
      I should say that this was a 60G HD on a relatively new machine. I'd
      only put a few gigs worth of files on it at the time I did the defrag.

      Let us know if it works for you.

      ken

      --
      "It is not knowable how long that conflict would last, it could last,
      you know, six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."