Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Install Redhat/Fedora on Latitude D500

  • Jim Diamond
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 29, 2005
      On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 18:03 (-0500), Paul E. Adamson wrote:

      > I agree 100%. This is really the best plan of attack. I guess I never
      > really cared about my windows partitions that much and partition magic
      > was a handy tool to use really quickly. I was also experienced enough
      > to deal with the occasional boot sector problem and I've always had my
      > important files constantly backed up on network shares. I stand
      > corrected! I didn't really think through the possible problems that one
      > could face with pm--I'll be more careful when dolling out advice in the
      > future.

      I think you being too harsh about your advice. Michelle's advice
      about not trusting PM with your life is good, but her way is not very
      efficient. I can shrink a 'doze partition in a couple of minutes with
      PM, and then I'm off to the races. If it clobbers the 'doze
      partition, then (and only then) re-install, restore your files,
      re-lilo (or re-grub) if necessary, and go from there. But if PM works
      correctly, you've saved a lot of time.

      (Now, maybe if you actually use your 'doze frequently, it needs to be
      re-installed anyway, so that's a different puppy.)

      While being careful about doling out advice is good, having these
      sorts of discussions is also educational. (For example, while I am
      not surprised that PM doesn't work 100% of the time, I've never had
      anyone tell me it clobbered their system before, so Michelle's
      comments are educational.)