ALSA for Percision M60?

  • Wen ke Li
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 29, 2005
      Hello,
      Just wondering, does anyone have ALSA working for the Percision M60
      laptop? I looked on the ALSA website, but I can't find my sound card
      (built in) listed.
      Thanks.
    • Haedn Thorn
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 29, 2005
        --- Wen ke Li <corecentralconsciousness@...>
        wrote:

        > Just wondering, does anyone have ALSA working for
        > the Percision M60
        > laptop? I looked on the ALSA website, but I can't
        > find my sound card
        > (built in) listed.

        Well the current iteration of the M60 appears to have
        the i855 chipset (as implied by "Centrino") which
        should have the same audio as my 600m. I've got ALSA
        working fine with Slackware 10.0, kernel 2.6.10,
        "soundcore" compiled in and the rest in modules
        (intel8x0, etc) ... The mixers which came with Gnome
        don't seem to believe it's working, but I hear music,
        so it's got to be ;)
      • Wen ke Li
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 29, 2005
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn
          <lordhaedn@y...> wrote:

          > --- Wen ke Li <corecentralconsciousness@y...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > Just wondering, does anyone have ALSA working for
          > > the Percision M60
          > > laptop? I looked on the ALSA website, but I can't
          > > find my sound card
          > > (built in) listed.
          >
          > Well the current iteration of the M60 appears to have
          > the i855 chipset (as implied by "Centrino") which
          > should have the same audio as my 600m. I've got ALSA
          > working fine with Slackware 10.0, kernel 2.6.10,
          > "soundcore" compiled in and the rest in modules
          > (intel8x0, etc) ... The mixers which came with Gnome
          > don't seem to believe it's working, but I hear music,
          > so it's got to be ;)

          Ah, thanks:) Now I just have to figure out how to get this working....
          I have gentoo linux, kernel 2.6.10 also.
        • Haedn Thorn
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 29, 2005
            wrote:

            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn
            > Thorn
            > <lordhaedn@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- Wen ke Li <corecentralconsciousness@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > >
            > > > Just wondering, does anyone have ALSA working
            > for
            > > > the Percision M60
            > > > laptop? I looked on the ALSA website, but I
            > can't
            > > > find my sound card
            > > > (built in) listed.
            > >
            > > Well the current iteration of the M60 appears to
            > have
            > > the i855 chipset (as implied by "Centrino") which
            > > should have the same audio as my 600m. I've got
            > ALSA
            > > working fine with Slackware 10.0, kernel 2.6.10,
            > > "soundcore" compiled in and the rest in modules
            > > (intel8x0, etc) ... The mixers which came with
            > Gnome
            > > don't seem to believe it's working, but I hear
            > music,
            > > so it's got to be ;)
            >
            > Ah, thanks:) Now I just have to figure out how to
            > get this working....
            > I have gentoo linux, kernel 2.6.10 also.

            Gentoo probably provides ALSA 1.08 by default. Slack
            came with 1.05 and I upgraded, but it worked fine with
            even the stock 2.4 kernel ... ... I think the trick
            with 2.6.10 and using udev is the compiling soundcore
            into the kernel. Otherwise udev creates a "/dev/sound"
            device which would otherwise be a directory for the
            sound devices created by the other modules. I think
            someone said is was listed as a bug in ALSA's wiki?
          • Wen ke Li
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 30, 2005
              <lordhaedn@y...> wrote:

              > --- Wen ke Li <corecentralconsciousness@y...>
              > wrote:
              >

              > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn
              > > Thorn
              > > <lordhaedn@y...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --- Wen ke Li <corecentralconsciousness@y...>

              > > for
              > > can't
              > > >
              > > > Well the current iteration of the M60 appears to
              > > have
              > > > the i855 chipset (as implied by "Centrino") which
              > > > should have the same audio as my 600m. I've got
              > > ALSA
              > > > working fine with Slackware 10.0, kernel 2.6.10,
              > > > "soundcore" compiled in and the rest in modules
              > > > (intel8x0, etc) ... The mixers which came with
              > > Gnome
              > > > don't seem to believe it's working, but I hear
              > > music,
              > > > so it's got to be ;)
              > >
              > > Ah, thanks:) Now I just have to figure out how to
              > > get this working....
              > > I have gentoo linux, kernel 2.6.10 also.
              >
              > Gentoo probably provides ALSA 1.08 by default. Slack
              > came with 1.05 and I upgraded, but it worked fine with
              > even the stock 2.4 kernel ... ... I think the trick
              > with 2.6.10 and using udev is the compiling soundcore
              > into the kernel. Otherwise udev creates a "/dev/sound"
              > device which would otherwise be a directory for the
              > sound devices created by the other modules. I think
              > someone said is was listed as a bug in ALSA's wiki?

              Now I am completely, utterly confused about how to go on about this. I
              originally have my kernel configured to have ALSA built in, but that
              didn't do much. I was never able to make the /dev/sndstat file
              mentioned in the sound HOWTO documentation. I tried to compile the
              kernel with ALSA compiled as modules (and adding them to the autoload
              list), but that didn't do much. I tried to compile the kernel without
              ALSA support but with general soundcardsupport, then install the
              latest ALSA driver, 1.08 (appreantly the one I have is 1.06), but for
              some reason the build fails. So now I'm at a loss as to what do to....
              how should I begin this entire affair? Start with the kernel without
              ALSA support? Or have ALSA built in? Also, which HOWTO should I
              actually read? there was the sound HOWTO, the intall from scratch
              HOWTO, and some other HOWTOs.....
              Thanks:)
            • Haedn Thorn
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 30, 2005
                wrote:

                > Now I am completely, utterly confused about how to
                > go on about this. I
                > originally have my kernel configured to have ALSA
                > built in, but that
                > didn't do much. I was never able to make the
                > /dev/sndstat file
                > mentioned in the sound HOWTO documentation. I tried
                > to compile the
                > kernel with ALSA compiled as modules (and adding
                > them to the autoload
                > list), but that didn't do much. I tried to compile
                > the kernel without
                > ALSA support but with general soundcardsupport, then
                > install the
                > latest ALSA driver, 1.08 (appreantly the one I have
                > is 1.06), but for
                > some reason the build fails. So now I'm at a loss as
                > to what do to....
                > how should I begin this entire affair? Start with
                > the kernel without
                > ALSA support? Or have ALSA built in? Also, which
                > HOWTO should I
                > actually read? there was the sound HOWTO, the intall
                > from scratch
                > HOWTO, and some other HOWTOs.....

                /dev/sndstat is old. The HOWTO is likely out of date,
                at least for using 2.6 kernels. I compiled in sound
                support and used the 1.08 from alsaproject.org ... I
                believe I had some trouble getting to compile
                initially as well, but I can't recall for certain.
                Running 'alsaconf' as root cleaned up some config files.
              • Wen ke Li
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 30, 2005
                  <lordhaedn@y...> wrote:

                  > --- Wen ke Li <corecentralconsciousness@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > Now I am completely, utterly confused about how to
                  > > go on about this. I
                  > > originally have my kernel configured to have ALSA
                  > > built in, but that
                  > > didn't do much. I was never able to make the
                  > > /dev/sndstat file
                  > > mentioned in the sound HOWTO documentation. I tried
                  > > to compile the
                  > > kernel with ALSA compiled as modules (and adding
                  > > them to the autoload
                  > > list), but that didn't do much. I tried to compile
                  > > the kernel without
                  > > ALSA support but with general soundcardsupport, then
                  > > install the
                  > > latest ALSA driver, 1.08 (appreantly the one I have
                  > > is 1.06), but for
                  > > some reason the build fails. So now I'm at a loss as
                  > > to what do to....
                  > > how should I begin this entire affair? Start with
                  > > the kernel without
                  > > ALSA support? Or have ALSA built in? Also, which
                  > > HOWTO should I
                  > > actually read? there was the sound HOWTO, the intall
                  > > from scratch
                  > > HOWTO, and some other HOWTOs.....
                  >
                  > /dev/sndstat is old. The HOWTO is likely out of date,
                  > at least for using 2.6 kernels. I compiled in sound
                  > support and used the 1.08 from alsaproject.org ... I
                  > believe I had some trouble getting to compile
                  > initially as well, but I can't recall for certain.
                  > Running 'alsaconf' as root cleaned up some config files.

                  lol, I do feel dump now. Gentoo has provided specific documentation on
                  how to set up ALSA. Should have looked there first. Oh well, lesson
                  learned:) I'm still really new at this, only got my system installed
                  last weekend. But, thanks for the help:)
                • Andy Robinson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 31, 2005
                    > From: "Wen ke Li" <corecentralconsciousness@...>
                    > Subject: ALSA for Percision M60?
                    >

                    > Hello,
                    > Just wondering, does anyone have ALSA working for the Percision M60
                    > laptop? I looked on the ALSA website, but I can't find my sound card
                    > (built in) listed.
                    > Thanks.

                    I'm running Mandrake 10.1 on Precision M60 which installs ALSA 1.0.6 and
                    works fine.

                    Regards,
                    Andy Robinson, Seventh String Software, www.seventhstring.com
                  • harrythesecond
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 31, 2005
                      I'm running debian unstable on precision m60, alsa 1.0.8 works fine too.
                    • ken
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
                        Wen ke Li wrote:

                        >--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn
                        ><lordhaedn@y...> wrote:
                        >

                        >>--- Wen ke Li <corecentralconsciousness@y...>
                        >>wrote:
                        >>

                        >>>Now I am completely, utterly confused about how to
                        >>>go on about this. I
                        >>>originally have my kernel configured to have ALSA
                        >>>built in, but that
                        >>>didn't do much. I was never able to make the
                        >>>/dev/sndstat file
                        >>>mentioned in the sound HOWTO documentation. I tried
                        >>>to compile the
                        >>>kernel with ALSA compiled as modules (and adding
                        >>>them to the autoload
                        >>>list), but that didn't do much. I tried to compile
                        >>>the kernel without
                        >>>ALSA support but with general soundcardsupport, then
                        >>>install the
                        >>>latest ALSA driver, 1.08 (appreantly the one I have
                        >>>is 1.06), but for
                        >>>some reason the build fails. So now I'm at a loss as
                        >>>to what do to....
                        >>>how should I begin this entire affair? Start with
                        >>>the kernel without
                        >>>ALSA support? Or have ALSA built in? Also, which
                        >>>HOWTO should I
                        >>>actually read? there was the sound HOWTO, the intall
                        >>>from scratch
                        >>>HOWTO, and some other HOWTOs.....
                        >>>

                        >>/dev/sndstat is old. The HOWTO is likely out of date,
                        >>at least for using 2.6 kernels. I compiled in sound
                        >>support and used the 1.08 from alsaproject.org ... I
                        >>believe I had some trouble getting to compile
                        >>initially as well, but I can't recall for certain.
                        >>Running 'alsaconf' as root cleaned up some config files.
                        >>

                        >lol, I do feel dump now. Gentoo has provided specific documentation on
                        > how to set up ALSA. Should have looked there first. Oh well, lesson
                        >learned:) I'm still really new at this, only got my system installed
                        >last weekend. But, thanks for the help:)

                        It would be nice of you to post the link to those instructions (if they
                        are clear and work). If the instructions are Gentoo-specific, they'll
                        still be helpful to some. But, given that a lot of Linux is the same
                        from one distro to another, it's likely that the instructions might be
                        of benefit to a wide range of Linux folks.

                        tia,
                        ken

                        --
                        "It is not knowable how long that conflict would last, it could last,
                        you know, six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
                          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
                          > Wen ke Li wrote:
                          >
                          > >--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn
                          > ><lordhaedn@y...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > >>--- Wen ke Li <corecentralconsciousness@y...>

                          > >>/dev/sndstat is old. The HOWTO is likely out of date,
                          > >>at least for using 2.6 kernels. I compiled in sound
                          > >>support and used the 1.08 from alsaproject.org ... I
                          > >>believe I had some trouble getting to compile
                          > >>initially as well, but I can't recall for certain.
                          > >>Running 'alsaconf' as root cleaned up some config files.
                          > >>

                          > >lol, I do feel dump now. Gentoo has provided specific documentation on
                          > > how to set up ALSA. Should have looked there first. Oh well, lesson
                          > >learned:) I'm still really new at this, only got my system installed
                          > >last weekend. But, thanks for the help:)
                          > >

                          > It would be nice of you to post the link to those instructions (if they
                          > are clear and work). If the instructions are Gentoo-specific, they'll
                          > still be helpful to some. But, given that a lot of Linux is the same
                          > from one distro to another, it's likely that the instructions might be
                          > of benefit to a wide range of Linux folks.

                          I think he's talking about this:
                          http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

                          But .. I have the same laptop and couldn't quite get things working.

                          -michael

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
                            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
                            > Wen ke Li wrote:
                            >
                            > >--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn
                            > ><lordhaedn@y...> wrote:
                            > >

                            > >>--- Wen ke Li <corecentralconsciousness@y...>

                            > >>/dev/sndstat is old. The HOWTO is likely out of date,
                            > >>at least for using 2.6 kernels. I compiled in sound
                            > >>support and used the 1.08 from alsaproject.org ... I
                            > >>believe I had some trouble getting to compile
                            > >>initially as well, but I can't recall for certain.
                            > >>Running 'alsaconf' as root cleaned up some config files.
                            > >>

                            > >lol, I do feel dump now. Gentoo has provided specific documentation on
                            > > how to set up ALSA. Should have looked there first. Oh well, lesson
                            > >learned:) I'm still really new at this, only got my system installed
                            > >last weekend. But, thanks for the help:)
                            > >

                            > It would be nice of you to post the link to those instructions (if they
                            > are clear and work). If the instructions are Gentoo-specific, they'll
                            > still be helpful to some. But, given that a lot of Linux is the same
                            > from one distro to another, it's likely that the instructions might be
                            > of benefit to a wide range of Linux folks.
                            >

                            > tia,
                            > ken
                            >
                            > --
                            > "It is not knowable how long that conflict would last, it could last,
                            > you know, six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."
                            > --Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 2/7/03

                            You are right:) completely forgot about it, had much to do, setting up
                            java, openoffice, and acpi to get linux to be my primary system
                            (instead of windows, I try to avoid booting into it as much as
                            possible now). Aside from certain commands specific to gentoo, the
                            documentations indeed seem pretty adaptable to all distros. Anyways,
                            here is the link:

                            http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=desktop

                            You can find the ALSA guide, the power management (ACPI) guide, the
                            java guide, kde guide, gnome guide, Nvidia driver guide, ATI driver
                            guide, X11 guide, etc. Hopefully it can be useful to people using
                            other distros:)
                          • henri_poincaraux
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
                              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Wen ke Li"
                              <corecentralconsciousness@y...> wrote:

                              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
                              > > Wen ke Li wrote:
                              > >
                              > > >--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn

                              > > >lol, I do feel dump now. Gentoo has provided specific
                              documentation on
                              > > > how to set up ALSA. Should have looked there first. Oh well, lesson
                              > > >learned:) I'm still really new at this, only got my system installed
                              > > >last weekend. But, thanks for the help:)
                              > > >

                              > > It would be nice of you to post the link to those instructions (if
                              they
                              > > are clear and work). If the instructions are Gentoo-specific,
                              they'll
                              > > still be helpful to some. But, given that a lot of Linux is the same
                              > > from one distro to another, it's likely that the instructions
                              might be
                              > > of benefit to a wide range of Linux folks.
                              > >

                              > > tia,
                              > > ken
                              > >
                              > > --
                              > > "It is not knowable how long that conflict would last, it could last,
                              > > you know, six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."
                              > > --Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 2/7/03
                              >
                              > You are right:) completely forgot about it, had much to do, setting up
                              > java, openoffice, and acpi to get linux to be my primary system
                              > (instead of windows, I try to avoid booting into it as much as
                              > possible now). Aside from certain commands specific to gentoo, the
                              > documentations indeed seem pretty adaptable to all distros. Anyways,
                              > here is the link:
                              >
                              > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=desktop
                              >
                              > You can find the ALSA guide, the power management (ACPI) guide, the
                              > java guide, kde guide, gnome guide, Nvidia driver guide, ATI driver
                              > guide, X11 guide, etc. Hopefully it can be useful to people using
                              > other distros:)

                              FWIW, I didn't get sound working in gentoo. SuSE works like a champ,
                              though.