[linux-dell-laptops] Problem with Configuring Touchpad

  • Eran Karu
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 25, 1999
      Hi members,

      During the installation process of Linux Mandrake 6.1 PowerPack
      Edition, I am having a serious problem with configuring the mouse. The
      process was straightforward from beginning until I encountered the
      problem with the mouse configuring.

      After some of the packages were installed successfully, the following
      message appeared automatically on my screen as shown below.

      'Probing Result'

      'Probing found some type of PS/2 mouse on port psaux'

      My computer immediately was frozen, and I tried to press 'Enter', 'F12'
      or 'Ctrl-Alt-Del'. My computer did not respond at all. I had no way to
      figure out why or to solve the problem myself, and I was stuck in the
      middle of the installation process. So I pressed the power button to
      turn off my computer.

      I had two other choices. I switched 'serial port' to COM1 (not auto) at
      one time and I switched 'touchpad' to disabled at another time. Then I
      installed Linux Mandrake on my dell laptop again. The exact same
      problem occurred again. What will I do now?? I am lost!

      My computer is Dell Latitude LM Pentium 166 MMX laptop, and it has 4
      gigabytes of hard disk space and 72 MB RAM.

      In addition, my computer uses Synaptics PS/2 Touchpad, and the file
      syntp.vxd version 4.1.28 23dec97 is available in the directory
      c:\windows\system.

      Please see some specifications below about my touchpad. I hope it might
      help us.

      Interface: PS/2-compatible
      X/Y position resolution: 20 points/mm (500 points/inch)

      Please help me to configure my mouse successfully and continue the
      installation process smoothly to the end.

      I will appreciate your help by email.

      Please reply to me by email as soon as you can.

      Thank you,
      Eran Karu
      mrerk@...

      P.S. I do not think my computer has any network card inside it. It
      cannot be connected to any network such as LAN, but it can be connected
      to the Internet.
    • Terrence O'Connor
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 26, 1999
        Look in your /etc/X11/XF86Config file. There should be a "POINTER SECTION."
        In that section you can configure the options for your mouse. My settings,
        with a Dell 3K, follow. You should be able to configure yours similarly.
        Good luck

        # **********************************************************************
        # Pointer section
        # **********************************************************************

        Section "Pointer"
        Protocol "PS/2"
        Device "/dev/mouse"
        Emulate3Buttons
        Emulate3Timeout 50

        EndSection
      • Jack Holloway
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 9, 2000
          I have a Latitude LM and I'm installing RH 6.1. Everything works fine
          until i get a dialog saying, in effect, that it has found some PS/2
          device on psaux. It wants me to press enter. I can't. The beyboard
          doesn't respond. I can't use F12, nothing. How do I get by this little
          annoyance? Thanks!
        • Jack Holloway
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9, 2000
            How did you end up getting past the dialog box asking you to press
            return after finding a PS/2 device on psaux? I'm using RH6.1, by the
            way.

            Thanks!