Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 1985

  • Irlandes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2005
      Message: 6
      > Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:43:26 -0500
      > From: "Paul E. Adamson" <padamson@...>
      > Subject: Re: Install Redhat/Fedora on Latitude D500
      >
      > If you want to feel safer about the process of creating a linux
      > partition on a pre-existing windows-only hard drive, you might want to
      > invest in Partition Magic. It's a great tool (for Windows) and has
      > never let me down. Of course, once you create your linux partition, you
      > may never need your windows partition again. For the past four years,
      > the only time I booted into windows was to either a) play a game or b)
      > convert more of my windows partition to my linux partition with
      > Partition Magic. As of last week I no longer have a windows partition.
      > There may even be open source software out now that can do what
      > Partition Magic does. I haven't checked for a couple of years now.

      Please let us know if PM does something more than conveniently
      re-partition NTFS. I don't think, for example, that PM deals with the
      defrag problem. If that is wrong, let me know.

      Since Mandrake 9.?, Mandrake resizes NTFS partitions. I believe I have
      read that neither Redhat nor Fedora do that, because Redhat interpreted
      some licensing limits differently.

      When I want to re-partition anything, I grab an old Install disk from
      9.1 and do it.

      SuSe will partition, though I don't know about NTFS. But when I was
      going to install it in an old machine, it started asking me all sorts
      of questions about primary and extended that I did not know at the time,
      so I hit the switch, and booted on Mandrake, did the partitions, again
      hit the switch and then installed SuSe on existing partitions.

      Mandrake has a great advantage for me, in that I have used it many times
      in the last 5 years, so chances of errors based on inexperience are
      eliminated. For those who have never used it, that advantage might not
      be there...

      Also, unlike PM the Drake install disk is free.