Getting the "i" hardware button working (Latitude C640)

  • firestorm1325
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2005
      I would like to get the "i" hardware key (by the power button) on my
      Latitude C640 working. Under Windows, it was used to launch Internet
      Explorer, I'd like to use it under Linux to launch a program of my
      choosing.

      What I've done so far:

      Pressing the hardware key results in the following message from the
      kernel:
      ---
      Jan 28 13:44:33 eclipse kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed
      (translated set 2, code 0x81 on isa0060/serio0).
      Jan 28 13:44:33 eclipse kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e001
      <keycode>' to make it known.
      Jan 28 13:44:33 eclipse kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key released
      (translated set 2, code 0x81 on isa0060/serio0).
      Jan 28 13:44:33 eclipse kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e001
      <keycode>' to make it known.
      ---

      I switched to vt2 and tried `sudo setkeycodes e001 0x81` but running
      `showkey -k` and pressing the "i" button doesn't generate any keycode
      and the log message still shows up from the kernel.

      I read a thread on this from the kernel archives that deal with the
      same problem (on a Latitude X200), and since the thread is from 2002,
      I'd like to think the problem has been fixed
      (http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0212.1/0098.html)

      So I think my questions boil down to two:
      - How do I get the hardware key assigned to a keycode/scancode?
      - How do I associate the keypress (or combinations like
      Ctrl-"my_hardware_key") with an application?

      Thanks.