Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Install Redhat/Fedora on Latitude D500

  • Alexandre Tessier
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2005
      Paul E. Adamson wrote:
      > If you want to feel safer about the process of creating a linux
      > partition on a pre-existing windows-only hard drive, you might want to
      > invest in Partition Magic. It's a great tool (for Windows) and has
      > never let me down. Of course, once you create your linux partition, you
      > may never need your windows partition again. For the past four years,
      > the only time I booted into windows was to either a) play a game or b)
      > convert more of my windows partition to my linux partition with

      The last time I booted into DOS/Windows was in 1987 or 1988 I think ;-)
      (I had to program in Turbo-Pascal)

      > Partition Magic. As of last week I no longer have a windows partition.
      > There may even be open source software out now that can do what
      > Partition Magic does. I haven't checked for a couple of years now.
      >

      > On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 01:54 -0500, ken wrote:
      >
      >>First, you should back up your important files.
      >>
      >>Then you need to defrag the disk. This should move all files and
      >>pieces
      >>of files to the beginning of the disk.
      >>
      >>Next, create a boot floppy or boot CD with FDISK on it. Use this to
      >>boot up the system and partition the drive.
      >>
      >>Then install Linux.
      >>

      >>There's other ways to do this and variations of this (which can be
      >>found
      >>aplenty on the web), but this method has worked for me several times.
      >>
      >>hth,
      >>ken
      >>
      >>chen_hongshu wrote:
      >>

      >>>Hi,
      >>>I am planning to install Redhat/Fedora on my D500. Currently I am
      >>>using the preinstalled Windows XP. I want to keep this system as
      >>>well. I have only one partition now. Does anybody has any suggestion
      >>>how I should start working on this?
      >>>Thanks,
      >>>Hongshu
      >>>

      >>--
      >>"It is not knowable how long that conflict would last, it could last,
      >>you know, six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."
      >> --Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 2/7/03

      >> Service.

      http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
      tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
    • Michelle L. Gill
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 29, 2005
        Just a small note of warning:

        The BEST way, in my opinion, is to back up your files, then
        reinstall Windows and create your partions before you start the
        install. My husband fixed computers for 15 years before starting in
        the IT industry and refers the Partion Magic as "Partition Tragic",
        in light of the amount of messes he's had to fix because of that
        program.

        If it works for you fine, but there is a lot of room for things to
        go really wrong. If you've already backed up your data and email
        (which is by far the most difficult part in my opinion), why not
        take the little extra effort to do it the right way? Reinstalling
        Windows is a piece of cake and requires only minimal user input.

        I have setup numerous laptops this way and never had problems. Just
        my two cents though.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Paul E. Adamson"

      • Paul E. Adamson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 29, 2005
          I agree 100%. This is really the best plan of attack. I guess I never
          really cared about my windows partitions that much and partition magic
          was a handy tool to use really quickly. I was also experienced enough
          to deal with the occasional boot sector problem and I've always had my
          important files constantly backed up on network shares. I stand
          corrected! I didn't really think through the possible problems that one
          could face with pm--I'll be more careful when dolling out advice in the
          future.

          Paul

          On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 18:49 +0000, Michelle L. Gill wrote:

> [...]
          > > > of files to the beginning of the disk.
          > > >
          > > > Next, create a boot floppy or boot CD with FDISK on it. Use
          > this to
          > > > boot up the system and partition the drive.
          > > >
          > > > Then install Linux.
          > > >

          > > > There's other ways to do this and variations of this (which can
          > be
          > > > found
          > > > aplenty on the web), but this method has worked for me several
          > times.
          > > >
          > > > hth,
          > > > ken

          > am
          > as
          > suggestion
          > > > >

          > > > --
          > > > "It is not knowable how long that conflict would last, it could
          > last,
          > > > you know, six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."
          > > > --Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 2/7/03

        • Jim Diamond
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 29, 2005
            On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 18:03 (-0500), Paul E. Adamson wrote:

            > I agree 100%. This is really the best plan of attack. I guess I never
            > really cared about my windows partitions that much and partition magic
            > was a handy tool to use really quickly. I was also experienced enough
            > to deal with the occasional boot sector problem and I've always had my
            > important files constantly backed up on network shares. I stand
            > corrected! I didn't really think through the possible problems that one
            > could face with pm--I'll be more careful when dolling out advice in the
            > future.

            Paul,

            I think you being too harsh about your advice. Michelle's advice
            about not trusting PM with your life is good, but her way is not very
            efficient. I can shrink a 'doze partition in a couple of minutes with
            PM, and then I'm off to the races. If it clobbers the 'doze
            partition, then (and only then) re-install, restore your files,
            re-lilo (or re-grub) if necessary, and go from there. But if PM works
            correctly, you've saved a lot of time.

            (Now, maybe if you actually use your 'doze frequently, it needs to be
            re-installed anyway, so that's a different puppy.)

            While being careful about doling out advice is good, having these
            sorts of discussions is also educational. (For example, while I am
            not surprised that PM doesn't work 100% of the time, I've never had
            anyone tell me it clobbered their system before, so Michelle's
            comments are educational.)

            Cheers.

            Jim