Lost dual boot facility

  • holdersav2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2005
      Hello,

      I wonder if someone can help me. I had a dual boot machine with linux
      and XP. I installed another version of XP (using partition magic to
      create the partitions) but have not lost the dual boot ability. I
      don't know how to get back into linux. I've lost the ability to
      choose linux

      thanks in advance
    • Dustin C. Hatch

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 16, 2005
          You have to chroot to run grub-install from Knoppix otherwise it sets up grub to
          boot from the cd. You have to manually mount your / partition with
          mount -w /dev/hdX /mnt/hdX
          then
          cd /mnt/hdX
          chroot /mnt/hdX
          update-grub

          Or you can make a grub boot disk with these instructions;
          http://www.desktop-linux.net/grub.htm

          --- "Dustin C. Hatch" <admiralnemo@...> wrote:

          > using a livecd (eg knoppix or gentoo) boot and mount your /boot
          > partition. edit your grub.conf and run grub-install
          >
          > holdersav2000 wrote:
          >

          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I wonder if someone can help me. I had a dual boot machine with linux
          > > and XP. I installed another version of XP (using partition magic to
          > > create the partitions) but have not lost the dual boot ability. I
          > > don't know how to get back into linux. I've lost the ability to
          > > choose linux
          > >
          > > thanks in advance

          =====
          I am the Lord of the Realm of Stupidity