Re: [linux-dell-laptops] 8000 + LINUX + W2K = many issues I need advice on

  • Joel Epstein
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2001
      Stuart....

      I have the same machine... it runs great.

      1) You needn't really upgrade the whole os... you could simply upgrade to
      X4.
      2) I've found that windows should go on first, with linux on the next
      partition. Be aware that you will need to modify your Lilo config file to
      make it compatible with it's bootsector being places above the first
      1024mb. The lilo readme will will explain that, or you can search on
      redhat's sight. Should you have problems with lilo, I will be glad to send
      you my file.
      3) The ATI mobility 4XAGP card kicks ass. The resolution on this thing is
      unreal. Support via RedHat7 is wonderful.
      4) The audio is slightly tricky. Watch this group, as people talk about the
      audio drivers contantly. It is my understanding that the latest OSS set
      will work just fine. I haven't bothered to set mine up as of yet.

      This link had all the information I needed to setup mine effectively.
      http://orion.chem.vt.edu/i8000/

      stuart@... wrote:

      > Dell Users:
      >
      > Recently (due to multiple repairs), Dell choose to swap out my
      > system, and they upgraded me in the process. I used to have a 7500,
      > now I am running an 8000 (as of today). That being said, here are my
      > concerns:
      >
      > (old) 7500 Configuration: 1400x1050 LCD, ATI RAGE 3D (8MB)
      > I had RH 6.2 with X 3.3.6 running on it okay.
      >
      > (new) 8000:
      >
      > now has a Sony DVD/CD-RW on it (did not have it before)
      > now has an "M4" ATI chipset (32MB)
      >
      > RH = RedHat
      >
      > 1) I want to get RH running with X on the 8000, am I best served to
      > upgrade to RH 7 (in order to get X 4 as well), what are the caveats
      > to doing such an upgrade? What are the RH7 problems that are big
      > right now?
      >
      > 2) I have W2K and Linux installed right now, Linux first in a primary
      > partition, followed by W2K in an extended. The primary is 9GB in
      > length. I was told "it would never work with W2K installed second",
      > but somehow I got it going against popular beleive.
      >
      > What is the best way to have W2K and Linux installed? What types of
      > partitions, the order, etc.?
      >
      > 3) How hard is it for RH7 to support the ATI M4?
      > 4) How hard is it for RH7 to support the audio hardware in the 8000?
      >
      > Any other items I ought be aware of?
      >
      > I am running A02 BIOS in the 8000, its also a 1400x1050 LCD.
      >
      > Stuart
      > Beverly Hills, CA

      =================================
      Joel Epstein
      Manager of Systems Integration
      Integrated Warehousing Solutions
      3075 Highland Parkway Suite 715
      Downers Grove, Illinois 60515
      Phone: 630.932.4300
      Fax: 630.932.7652
      Email: joele@...
    • stuart@bh90210.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2001
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joel Epstein <samiam@d...> wrote:
        > Stuart....
        >
        > I have the same machine... it runs great.
        >
        > 1) You needn't really upgrade the whole os... you could simply
        upgrade to
        > X4.

        I hear you on that, though I am curious about the stability and
        buglieness of RH7. Not to mention, I am most likely going to download
        a set of ISOs or buy a set of RH7 discs, even if all I do is install
        the XFree4 part.

        > 2) I've found that windows should go on first, with linux on the
        next
        > partition. Be aware that you will need to modify your Lilo config
        file to
        > make it compatible with it's bootsector being places above the first
        > 1024mb. The lilo readme will will explain that, or you can search
        on
        > redhat's sight. Should you have problems with lilo, I will be glad
        to send
        > you my file.

        I have heard these issues before, and I am curious about a few things
        here:

        a) Why is it windows should go first? What is the advantage?
        b) I was told that there are versions of lilo now that the 1024
        cylinder issues is now no longer an issue. Is that the file your
        talking about?

        > 3) The ATI mobility 4XAGP card kicks ass. The resolution on this
        thing is
        > unreal. Support via RedHat7 is wonderful.

        I have heard that the M4 is a butt-kicker. Mine is a 32MB version!
        I dont know how that helps me with a 1400x1050 LCD resolution, but I
        have heard its so good, I might actually look into getting some games
        to play (either under Linux or W2K).

        I guess I need to go to a store that specializes in computer games,
        or some gamer even to see all the stuff I can choose from. ATI M4 is
        supposed to be the gamers wet dream I hear.

        > 4) The audio is slightly tricky. Watch this group, as people talk
        about the
        > audio drivers contantly. It is my understanding that the latest
        OSS set
        > will work just fine. I haven't bothered to set mine up as of yet.

        I did go to the site you mention below (I had heard of it in a
        different message), and he doesnt discuss audio drivers there.

        But, http://orion.chem.vt.edu/i8000/ does discuss audio drivers (I
        just learned of that site recently), and the audio can be made to
        work.

        You must admit it is "odd" that RH7 does not include audio drivers
        for the Dell 8000, mainly because Dell and RH have agreed to work
        together to support Dell hardware. The 8000 (new, not refurbished),
        is able to be ordered with RH on it I thought. Maybe I am wrong.

        What are the drivers that defaultly come with RH6.2 or RH7, OSS?

        Thanks,

        Stuart
        Beverly Hills, CA

      • stuart@bh90210.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 23, 2001
          Joel:

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joel Epstein <samiam@d...> wrote:
          > Stuart....
          >
          > I have the same machine... it runs great.

          You bet it does!

          > 1) You needn't really upgrade the whole os... you could simply
          upgrade to
          > X4.

          too late, I have RH7 installed already.

          > 2) I've found that windows should go on first, with linux on the
          next
          > partition. Be aware that you will need to modify your Lilo config
          file to
          > make it compatible with it's bootsector being places above the first
          > 1024mb. The lilo readme will will explain that, or you can search
          on
          > redhat's sight. Should you have problems with lilo, I will be glad
          to send
          > you my file.

          Already had it that way, and I know my lilo.conf works, but I dont
          know what I did to it to make it work. I think it just always did
          from RH6.2 forward.

          > 3) The ATI mobility 4XAGP card kicks ass. The resolution on this
          thing is
          > unreal. Support via RedHat7 is wonderful.

          It steamrolls the hell out of anything I have seen yet!?!

          > 4) The audio is slightly tricky. Watch this group, as people talk
          about the
          > audio drivers contantly. It is my understanding that the latest
          OSS set
          > will work just fine. I haven't bothered to set mine up as of yet.
          >
          > This link had all the information I needed to setup mine
          effectively.
          > http://orion.chem.vt.edu/i8000/

          It is a very useful website, I had already located it via linux.org
          at the Linux Laptops page.

          Thanks though.

          Stuart,
          Beverly Hills, CA