touchpad help

  • Smbawhisky
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2005
      Does anyone know of an easy way that one can turn on and off the
      touchpad so that when you are typing on the keyboard you can't
      accidentally bump it?

      Unloading and reloading the touchpad driver/module might be one possible
      method, does anyone know a better one?
    • Alexandre Tessier
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2005
        Smbawhisky wrote:
        > Does anyone know of an easy way that one can turn on and off the
        > touchpad so that when you are typing on the keyboard you can't
        > accidentally bump it?
        >
        > Unloading and reloading the touchpad driver/module might be one possible
        > method, does anyone know a better one?

        You can disable the touchpad in the BIOS but it is not a better method!

        Alex.

      • Jim Diamond
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2005
          On Fri, Jan 7, 2005 at 12:17 (+1300), Smbawhisky wrote:

          > Does anyone know of an easy way that one can turn on and off the
          > touchpad so that when you are typing on the keyboard you can't
          > accidentally bump it?

          > Unloading and reloading the touchpad driver/module might be one possible
          > method, does anyone know a better one?

          There is a driver for the touchpad which you can download the source
          for, which gives you far more control than the regular touchpad
          driver.

          I used it for a while, but on my hardware (a D600) there were some
          issues. (The D600 uses an Alps glidepoint, which, compared to the
          cheap touchpad model on my I8K, is a piece of crap... I never knew why
          some people hated touchpads so much until I got the D600. Now I am
          unfortunately aware of where their feelings come from.)

          I don't recall what the issues were, but IIRC the driver was a bit
          flakier than the regular one. I have problems on this D600 where
          mouse clicks are occasionally generated while I am typing, even though
          my hands are no-where near the glidepoint. (Generally when this
          happens one of the letters was missing... not my idea of a good
          trade.)

          The touchpad driver version I was using is synaptics-0.13.5; maybe
          there is a newer version, I haven't checked in a few months.

          Cheers.

          Jim
        • Mike Farnsworth
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2005
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Smbawhisky
            <smbawhisky@y...> wrote:
            > Does anyone know of an easy way that one can turn on and off the
            > touchpad so that when you are typing on the keyboard you can't
            > accidentally bump it?
            >
            > Unloading and reloading the touchpad driver/module might be one
            possible
            > method, does anyone know a better one?

            You can change the sensitivity or disable tapping altogether in your
            x config file. Don't know any distros other than SuSE where it's
            in /etc/X11/, but you should be able to track it down. The variable
            you are interested in is MaxTapTime.

            --
            Mike Farnsworth