Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 1957 Live CD on Dell Laptops

  • Irlandes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2005
      On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 17:13 +0000, linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
      wrote:
      > 6. Inspiron 7000 easiest Linux to install
      > From: "Nick Braybrooke" <nickbraybrooke@...>

      > Message: 6
      > Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:46:39 -0000
      > From: "Nick Braybrooke" <nickbraybrooke@...>
      > Subject: Inspiron 7000 easiest Linux to install
      >

      > Hi, I am new and wanted ask some questions. 1. What is the easiest
      > Linux to install in an I7000 so I can learn Linux? 2. I am installing
      > a wireless LAN at home does Linux support this capability?

      Based on my recent limited experiences with Live CD's on my Dell
      Inspiron 2650 laptop, I would say, though a long time Mandrake user
      since v. 6.5, that for a true beginner, anything but a Live CD for first
      use and learning is now totally obsolete, and especially so if the
      beginner has fast Internet and can download the iso's, then burn the
      image into the CD.

      Live CD's use Ram, assuming you have enough, not HD, to load and run
      software, so one need not install the Distro to use it, Windows need not
      be affected, though some Live CD's can easily be installed if you like
      it. Allegedly if you find a good Live distro for your machine, it is
      possible to connect to the Web, even print and run wireless without
      installing. Some do offer the capacity to store your configs on floppy
      or even the HD, so you need not re-type the entire cheat code.

      After downloading the iso image, also get the md5sum from the same
      source, though you might have to look for it a bit. Md5sum is an
      algorithm, sort of fancy check sum to verify that your file is correctly
      downloaded.

      If you are using a Linux machine, md5sum path filename.iso <enter> for
      your downloaded file gives you a lengthy number. IF it is correct, your
      download is good.

      On Windows, google for md5summer.ex and download it, it produces a
      mini-window for handling md5 sums.

      I assume most know how to burn a CD, do be sure to burn as an image, or
      you end up with a big file on a CD that will not boot. This is a common
      error that smart people make.

      After you burn the CD, I do not know how to md5sum an entire CD in Win,
      but in Linux, it is md5sum /dev/cdrom and the result should be the same
      as the file itself.If not, don't use it, burn again.

      To run a Live CD, assuming you can boot from your CDROM, install your
      Live CD in the CD drive, and boot. If you have several live distros,
      one or more should boot for your machine and find most hardware, except
      dial-up winmodems. Well, some will even find the lucent chips, but many
      others will not be set up. And, some claim to find external modems, I
      don't know if this is true or not.

      The more Live CD's you download, the better your chances of finding one
      which will handle the particular combo of hardware in your machine.

      When you boot, you get a boot: prompt, and depending upon your machine,
      you need to type different "cheat codes". Example, on some distros, it
      will hang probing SCSI devices, so reboot with boot: linux noscsi

      Other cheat codes allow you to set monitor freqs, and install certain
      modules, if the distro cannot figure it out.

      First on my list of recommends is Kanotix. On his forum, Kano himself is
      likely to answer your questions if he has time. What a great guy. Many
      of the multiple-distro geeks have said Kanotix is the easiest to
      install.

      When I booted it on my Dell Inspiron 2650, it came up nicely, with a
      default selection of boot cheats supplied for select and enter, and
      voila, I had solid connection via the NIC to my daughter's Cable
      Internet with the included browser. It identified and claimed to set up
      my HSF modem with Smartlink-Softmodem package, but it did not really.

      I was impressed with the default nv video, Mandrake 9.1 took me two days
      to get video working on this Dell, so automatic selection in Kanotix was
      delightful. I could not get Kanotix to run video on an old Compaq with
      Sis530 video.
      ***
      Others:

      Knoppix 3.7 (Knoppix was apparently the pioneer of Live CD's though we
      had live floppies some years ago. I don't think I have tried 3.7 but 3.4
      did work on the 2650.

      LiveSlax 4.2.0 Worked on my machine.

      Linuxpcos Xorg version -- did not work on my video.

      Linuxpcos Nvidia version -- did not work on my GEforce video.

      I did not take time to see if I could make them work, which is highly
      probable, it is just too easy to toss a 20 cent CD aside, and use one
      which works.
      ***
      LinEx This one is from Spain, is in Spanish, and the standard linux
      applications have unusual and original names. Province Extremadura
      several years ago did a study how to keep bright young folks at home.
      The decision was made to develop a special distro to be used by all in
      the province. Money was budgeted, and local programmers were hired to
      develop and maintain the distro. They are also paid to develop special
      apps not available, such as medical and agricultural progams. I think
      recently the provincial government has announced that there will be no
      more funds for MS software, unless a special case is made for some
      special need. (e.g.-- AutoCad or Inventor 8 could be examples of special
      needs that cannot be met in Linux.)

      I kept trying and since they have no mirrors, I kept getting a 20 hour
      download prediction. Finally, at a family memeber's house, I got a 10
      hour download, and got a good burn on LinEx.

      I think I had to cheat noscsi and did not have access to the Internet,
      but a lot of the stuff worked. I did note the desktop icons did not want
      to work, but the Gnome menu did activate icons.
      ***
      I also downloaded SimplyMepis; Ubuntu Warty, and Knoppix-STD (security
      and hacker stuff as well as a distro). Alas, the Flexwriter CD writer
      with Nero 5 on her machine made good copy of LinEx, but then the next 8
      attempts produced bad CD's, thus it is important to verify your
      downloaded files and CDs, there are a lot of begs for help with CD's
      that don't work. So tomorrow I will visit another daughter, and download
      those three again, directly to my Linux 2650 which with K3B has never
      written a bad CD yet.

      There is a Mandake Live CD as well, though I have not downloaded it yet.

      The big advantage of LIVE is that you can find one which works on your
      machine, without all the work of installation just to see if it will
      work on your machine. It is very frustrating to spend some considerable
      time installing a new distro and then find it is going to take many
      hours or days to make it work because of some quirk in your machine and
      differences in distros.

      Live Rocks.
      ***
      I don't know if the Development stuff is included to let you add
      software from tarballs, I will check later when I have time, but most
      distros are based on a common distro, and you can download their
      packages if you decide to install the LIVE CD. By memory, I think
      Kanotix and Knoppix are Debian based so you can download almost any free
      debian app; fear not, if this is wrong, someone will let us know.

      There are instructions available from Knoppix to let you mount the .iso
      file as a loop back file, and access it to add or delete software to
      customize your own CD. I made a Live floppy several years ago using
      Martin's Mandrake, which was a text mode only distro on two floppies. I
      wanted dc, the hundreds-of-digit Reverse Polish calculator program for
      linux. LiveSlax and LinEx both include it. I recently did a calculation
      for a forum which involved an answer with 965 digits to the left of the
      decimal point, and 5000 to the right. Anyway, on the floppies, I got all
      the information from LINUX FROM SCRATCH, and I suspect that still works
      on CD .iso's as well. I do not yet know how to compress the files to
      fit 2GB into one CD. One thing at a time.