Re: Dell Latitude 600 Will Not Get Onto Internet because of Wireless issue.

  • Michelle L. Gill
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2005
      Michael,

      This problem could be a known DHCP bug which occurs when two
      different connections are attempting to use DHCP (i.e. wireless and
      ethernet cards). I had this problem on my Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop
      (Dell 3C920 Integrated Ethernet Controller and Intel PRO/Wireless
      2200BG card) running SuSE 9.2. The caveat (although I don't think
      this matters) is that the numbering is reversed--my ethernet card is
      eth0 and my wireless card is eth1. I could only get eth0 to connect
      to the internet, even if I tried to "force" the wireless connection
      (i.e. no ethernet cable connected and sitting right next to my
      wireless router). :)

      How have you verified that the card doesn't work? Are you watching
      the start up messages (i.e. assignment of an IP address to eth0 and
      eth1) or trying to surf the internet? I couldn't get an IP or use
      the internet when trying to use my wireless card BUT I could
      successfully ping another live IP address with it.

      If this is your problem, the solution is easy and is described at:
      http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/10/multi_dhcp_client.html

      Briefly, as superuser, you have to add the following line to the end
      of the file /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan-id-XXXXXXXXXXX:

      DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE=yes

      Then you have to type "rcnetwork restart" and you should see an IP
      address now assigned to the appropriate connection(s). If this
      works, you shouldn't have to type "rcnetwork restart" again the next
      time you reboot.

      Also make sure your other settings are correct. My file looks
      roughly like this:
      BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
      MTU=''
      REMOTE_IPADDR=''
      STARTMODE='auto'
      UNIQUE='QOEa.9LS7U1W0872'
      USERCONTROL='no'
      WIRELESS_AP=''
      WIRELESS_AUTH_MODE='open'
      WIRELESS_BITRATE='auto'
      WIRELESS_CHANNEL=''
      WIRELESS_DEFAULT_KEY='0'
      WIRELESS_ESSID='INSERT_CASE_SENSITIVE_NETWORK_NAME_HERE'
      WIRELESS_FREQUENCY=''
      WIRELESS_KEY=''
      WIRELESS_KEY_0='INSERT_YOUR_WIRELESS_KEY_HERE'
      WIRELESS_KEY_1=''
      WIRELESS_KEY_2=''
      WIRELESS_KEY_3=''
      WIRELESS_KEY_LENGTH='128'
      WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
      WIRELESS_NICK=''
      WIRELESS_NWID=''
      WIRELESS_POWER='yes'
      WIRELESS_WPA_PSK=''
      _nm_name='bus-pci-0000:02:03.0'
      DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE=yes

      I actually work on multiple wireless networks (home, work, etc.) so
      I keep separate backup files with the name appended (i.e.
      network_name.ifcfg-wlan-id-XXXXXXXXXXX) so I don't have to change
      the key and essid everytime. When I switch to a new network, I copy
      the appropriate file to ifcfg-wlan-id-XXXXXXXXXXX and type
      "rcnetwork restart". Not that hard.

      I haven't found any software which dynamically searches for and
      tries to configure wireless connections like Windoze has. I read
      there maybe something in the new Gnome desktop, but I'm a KDE fan.
      If anyone knows of a tool that does exist, by all means please clue
      me in!

      Hope this helps,
      Michelle Gill

      -- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "michaelzhao12"