Wireless troubles here as well

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2005
      I have an Inspiron 4000 and a Netgear MA401 pcmcia card. I used to
      run Fedora Core 1 and I had it working, I think using the external
      pcmcia_cs package (can't remember for sure how).

      I've now installed Fedora Core 3 and have set up the card with all
      the correct settings, and Fedora seems to have detected it and
      everything looks good, but no connection. I have not tried the
      external pcmcia_cs with Core 3 yet, reading the documentation seems
      to indicate that it won't work with 2.6 kernels.

      I haven't tried NdisWrapper yet either, never have used it. Anyone
      have any experience, suggestions or thoughts?

      Thanks,
      Brian
    • mpierce
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2005
        On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 06:49 pm, Brian wrote:
        > I have an Inspiron 4000 and a Netgear MA401 pcmcia card. I used to
        > run Fedora Core 1 and I had it working, I think using the external
        > pcmcia_cs package (can't remember for sure how).
        Package is for the pcmcia card only

        > I've now installed Fedora Core 3 and have set up the card with all
        > the correct settings, and Fedora seems to have detected it and
        > everything looks good, but no connection. I have not tried the
        > external pcmcia_cs with Core 3 yet, reading the documentation seems
        > to indicate that it won't work with 2.6 kernels.
        Wireless works with 2.6.x kernels. I'm currently using 2.6.9 and a Belkin
        wireless card with success.

        > I haven't tried NdisWrapper yet either, never have used it. Anyone
        > have any experience, suggestions or thoughts?
        I used ndiswrapper and was able to get the wlan0 working in about 30 minutes
        using the instructions in the wiki.

        I use a debian system.

        > Thanks,
        > Brian

      • Will
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 6, 2005
          I used ndiswrapper to get my card working. I had some trouble
          because I used the rpm (for fedora) but it did not install correct.
          I was not aware of that problem and could not figure out why it
          wouldn't work. Finally I took the rpm out and did the "make
          install" option. Once it was in correctly, It worked great!! Since
          I use Fedora I had a few items to update - the info was on the
          distribtions page on the "wiki" site for ndiswrapper/sourceforge.net
          info. Kinda hard to locate.

          Once I had the correct install, I was up and running in less than 5
          minutes. Most of that was just double checking my settings and
          finding out that the card will recognize itself if it is ejected and
          reinserted.

          Have fun experimenting!